Author Topic: pistons looking to S/T prince  (Read 3773 times)

Re: pistons looking to S/T prince
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
Trade Idea

Ben Wallace(exp) 2
Rip(2 years) 12.5
Monroe(Perk replacement) 2.7
Prince(1 year with Team/Player Opt) 6

JOneal(exp) 6.2
JGreen(3 year) 7.5
BBD(2 year with team/Player opt) 5.5
Bradley(1 year and team opt) 1.5
draft pick

Detroit sheds Rips salary, loses 1 young talent, but receives Green in return plus vet exp BBD and a future draft pick if need be.

Boston still would have flexibility next summer with a huge trade chip with Rips contract, 6th man Prince, Greg Monroe as a Perk replacement or Dwight back up, and Ben Wallace still plays his position perfect at his age.

Rondo, West
Ray, Rip, Gil
Pierce, Prince, EMoore
KG, JuJohnson
Monroe, Wallace

Rip,Monroe and Rondo all become trade pieces to land CP3 or D12

i like the trade, we keep our core but detroit would never give up monroe

Re: pistons looking to S/T prince
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 12:25:52 PM »

Offline PortCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Danny Promised he would not be tempted to bring in players now that would compromise his cap space later.  I don't see this happening
I think it depends on the new cba once we find out maybe we can still pick up prince and have enough cap for a max contract.  At this point I think prince is worth atleast the MLE.
We are only at 27 mill in cap to start the 2012 season.

We've got $27.79 million committed if we dump Bradley, or $29.42 million committed if we keep him.  You also have to factor in a roster charge if we don't have at least 12 players signed; the amount of this charge is $490k x number of player below 12.  That's another $4.4 million if we keep Bradley, or $4.9 million if we don't.

That brings committed salaries to approximately $33.82 million (with Bradley) or $32.69 million if we don't.  Then, there's JuJuan Johnson's salary, that's going to be somewhere around $900k, bringing the range up to $33.59 million to $34.72 million.  On top of that, there will be the rookie salaries of our two picks next year; that's probably around another $3 million, assuming the Clippers pick is around 11th or 12th and our own pick is around 25th.

So, we've got $36.59 to $37.72 million committed.  Assuming a $62 million cap, that leaves $24.28 to $25.41 million, and that's not even taking into account Jeff Green or other free agents (all of whom we would have to renounce to get the above cap space).  Assuming Dwight Howard gets something in the $18 to $20 million range, that means that we're unlikely to be able to afford a MLE contract this offseason (somewhere around $5.8 million, and more in the second year) if we want to target a max free agent.

This is precisely what I've been preaching. There might not be enough cash to go after Howard unless a massive salary dump precedes the signing. It's also another reason why you can't extend Green or Davis past next season. Both contracts (if BB signs) must be tradable ones. Assuming E'Twaun and perhaps G. Brown are signed it makes Bradley expendable, but even so he's a team option next season. It's likely D. West will be offered a vet.mini, 120% raise, and the LLE is a player option in the second year.

No long term contracts is the only plausible way to make a run at Howard. But you have to keep an eye on the title next season, which makes the MLE signing vitally important. That's why it makes sense not to go after Prince or Crawford (31 years old). JR Smith (26) may be more of a palatable choice given his age and skill set comporting with our needs. A two year deal, similar to Jermaine's will suffice. At worst he, Davis or Green could be moved during the off season just in case Howard does come on the market.