Author Topic: Jeff Green for Thaddeus Young (idea)  (Read 6849 times)

Jeff Green for Thaddeus Young (idea)
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »

Offline tricktak

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
Would be a good swap for both teams, the celts may have to throw in a draft pick as well but It's clear that Thaddeus Young is a significant upgrade over Jeff Green, I realize Ainge is high on Jeff Green but if you have a chance to get someone like Thaddeus Young, who is a restricted free agent then you make the move. Young is more explosive and the superior defensive player to Green. It might just be my biased but I'm just not high on Jeff Green at all, I don't see what makes him so special as opposed to Thaddeus Young who is a very special player and the celtics may want to fool the 76ers and try offering up Jeff Green and a draft pick to sway Young away. They've been rumored to be shopping Iguodala but I get the feeling they'd rather keep Iguodala because he is a leader on that young team and trade Young to a team that will let him start and showcase his talents.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:58:40 AM by Fafnir »

Re: Jeff Green for Thaddeus Young
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
tweener for tweener... no thanks. im not sure hes better then jeff green. give green a chance

green can play defense

="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_mGic0nwr0?version=3&hl=en_US">

Re: Jeff Green for Thaddeus Young
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
No thanks.  as much as people are down on Green he's still better than Thad.  If it were to occur and extras were included, Philly would be the one to include the pick, not Boston.

Re: Jeff Green for Thaddeus Young (idea)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
i really like this, Young can give you offense of the bench and can guard the 2/3 and the smaller 4s. he plays tough, something Green has never shown a willingness to do, never mind the ability to do it.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yeah, Id do it since it's clear Thad is a much better player and Im sure our first rounder next year won't be any good, either.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
If you guys are just gonna pull random names out of a hat that we should try to go and get, at least pull some good names.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
If you guys are just gonna pull random names out of a hat that we should try to go and get, at least pull some good names.

You have to think of players that the other team would actually take Jeff freakin Green in return for

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

You have to think of players that the other team would actually take Jeff freakin Green in return for
I get that, but why make a ridiculously sideways deal, just to make a move?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I get that, but why make a ridiculously sideways deal, just to make a move?

It's the summer, it's what (some) people do in the offseason. Yet another reason to hope that the lockout is averted...

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They are equal players, but I think Young might be a better fit.

I don't see Philly doing it with out the Celtics having to overpay more then the difference in talent.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It's a lateral move, at best.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It's a lateral move, at best.

I disagree; Thaddeus Young is considerably better than Jeff Green.  For that reason, I don't think the Sixers would even consider the deal.  It's not like they need more small forwards.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hate to put a damper on this thread but both players are restricted free agents which means they would be Base Year Compensation players in a trade making a swap of the players about as impossible as it gets without adding many more players.

Just saying.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
No thanks.  as much as people are down on Green he's still better than Thad.  If it were to occur and extras were included, Philly would be the one to include the pick, not Boston.

I agree with Nick that this is a silly trade idea anyways, but I just wanted to clarify on this point.  Thaddeus Young is very similar to Jeff Green, but he's definitely the better player at this point in their careers.

They are both 3/4 tweeners with an ill-defined role.  Green is a little bit bigger, though ironically Thaddeus has played far better at the 4 and Green seems to play better at the 3.  They've both been in the league for the same number of years, and only in their second year was Jeff's points per 40 minutes higher than Thad's.  The same can be said of rebounds per 40 minutes.  Green is a better free throw shooter, but Thaddeus has had a better field goal percentage by a good margin in every single year.  Green has never had a PER higher than 13.99, which was a couple seasons ago.  Thad had a career high 18.46 PER this last season.

I can't see any argument that Green is a better player, really, other than the fact that he started many games early in his career and put up bigger (though less efficient) numbers while Thad was used more in a reserve / 6th man role.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Jeff Green and Thaddeus Young are similar players BUT i would not say Young is better. Yea his PER his higher but that is just one rating, espn has another rating called "NBA rating" and they were about tied last year. Young= 21.84 Green= 21.28, and the highest rating Young ever had was 24.02 while Green had a 26.81. Green is a good player, he just hasn't had the time to gel and build team chemistry with the celtics and he is in a new role and environment. Green was ok this year AND he will be good, not an all star but good enough to start once pierce calls it quits.

NBA rating is under stats on a player,on the link scroll down to the bottom and its under "RAT"
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3209/jeff-green