Author Topic: Rondo for Steve Nash  (Read 25403 times)

Re: Rondo for Steve Nash
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2011, 07:26:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
 I didn't say every single stat goes up when you play with worse players. I'd say that from watching them play that Nash does dominate the ball more than Nash. You could also notice that Nash has the highest usage rate for the top 6 Suns in terms of minutes played this year while Rondo has the lowest usage rate for the top 6 for the Celts.

Are you implying that Steve Nash is a stat padder? He has consistently inflated the stats of good players as well (Amare Stoudemire, Marion, Boris Diaw). This isn't Mike James putting up numbers on a bad team because he's getting the ball more. He's a great point guard and certainly better than Rondo.

I didn't say Nash was a stat padder at any point in time. You keep claiming that it's impressive that he had better individual numbers than Rondo with worse teammates, I was explaining that his numbers were good because he played with worse teammates.

This is just not true in any way. The "good stats bad teammates" is a myth that gets uses to argue against players soemone doesn't like, just as the "he put up good stats because he's on a good team" (an argument that many use against Rondo unfairly, or used, ironically, for many of Nash's teammates in the '05 era) is equally flawed, unproven, and unreplicable.

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. Look at the big three's stats before and after they joined forces. Look at the stats of the Miami guys, Kobe and Pau, AI and Melo or other situations where players that are the focal points of offenses are put with more talented players. Their stats almost always take a hit.

It's completely random and variable; hence the exact opposite logic is used equally to express whichever view the arguer wants to argue.

People say "oh, without the Big 3, rondo wouldn't look this good" or "without nash, stoudemire would be nothing, because 'nash makes others better'" or "Nash put up good stats last year because he's on a bad team."

Fact is, it's totally untrue. Most of the time, the statistical impact is not more or less, but simply changed: usually decreased absolute values (due to sharing the load/focus) with increased efficiency. This is what happened (largely) with boston's big three: decreases in points and usage, with increases in scoring efficiency.

You say things like "it's completely false" and "fact is" but you do absolutely nothing to back up your claims, refute my examples or come up with any of your own. Either my claim was demonstrably false (where you'd demonstrate that it was false, just to be clear) or your statement was a significant overstatement of your opinion.

But somehow you've convinced yourself that Nash had good stats last year because he was on a bad team, despite the fact that that very same player put up BETTER numbers when surrounded by Amare/Marion/Joe Johnson! That is absolute proof of your erroneous logic in this case. Nash puts up good stats because he's good. Rondo puts up good stats because he's good. That's it. Zach Randolph puts up good stats for years because he's good; This year it's the Narrative surrounding him that has changed, when in reality he brought the exact same stuff he always has: size, elite post scoring, elite rebounding, to a team that was actually good around him.

Yes, the fact that Nash put up better numbers in his early thirties than he would in his late thirties is absolute proof. Sadly, it's proof that he's aging and nothing else.

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Do you think I'm talking bs?   Ok, fine, but note that every single time most folks talk about sports, virtually all they talk about are statistics, and now that we have 'advanced statistics', it's become a profound delusion.  See, back when we only had a few reference numbers to work with, we were forced to recognize that they offered, at best, a rough approximation.  Today, most people are convinced that their advanced statistics alone more than adequately substitute for reality.   Anytime two players are to be compared, 'advanced statistics' are considered to close the case, if basic stats haven't already done it.

What people are convinced that advanced statistics alone substitute for reality? Please point them out.

Secondly, which statistics are you referring to specifically? Which ones do you not like and do not illustrate the game correctly in your opinion? You seem to opine quite a bit about how stats are a "profound delusion" - I would be interested in you elaborating on that.

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  But shooting's his only advantage over Rondo. Knock his scoring down and you basically have the same scoring and assist numbers that you get from Rondo without the defense or the rebounding. He scores more efficiently but Rondo generates more possessions through steals and rebounds so that's basically a wash.

Shooting is not his only advantage over Rondo. Passing is as well.

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  But shooting's his only advantage over Rondo. Knock his scoring down and you basically have the same scoring and assist numbers that you get from Rondo without the defense or the rebounding. He scores more efficiently but Rondo generates more possessions through steals and rebounds so that's basically a wash.

Back in your time machine, I see. He's better than Rondo was a few years ago, not as good as Rondo was last year.

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

Back in your time machine, I see. He's better than Rondo was a few years ago, not as good as Rondo was last year.

Again, with this. What are you talking about? Which guy led the NBA in assists and assists percentage last year while having significantly worse teammates? Which guy had the better turnover percentage? Which point guard led his team top a top-10 NBA offense?

The answer to all of those questions is Steve Nash.

Oh wait, he put up those numbers because he had bad teammates...or something? Because it's easier to put up assist numbers as a point guard when you have teammates who are less adept at scoring....or something? I'm confused.

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
 I didn't say every single stat goes up when you play with worse players. I'd say that from watching them play that Nash does dominate the ball more than Nash. You could also notice that Nash has the highest usage rate for the top 6 Suns in terms of minutes played this year while Rondo has the lowest usage rate for the top 6 for the Celts.

Are you implying that Steve Nash is a stat padder? He has consistently inflated the stats of good players as well (Amare Stoudemire, Marion, Boris Diaw). This isn't Mike James putting up numbers on a bad team because he's getting the ball more. He's a great point guard and certainly better than Rondo.

I didn't say Nash was a stat padder at any point in time. You keep claiming that it's impressive that he had better individual numbers than Rondo with worse teammates, I was explaining that his numbers were good because he played with worse teammates.

This is just not true in any way. The "good stats bad teammates" is a myth that gets uses to argue against players soemone doesn't like, just as the "he put up good stats because he's on a good team" (an argument that many use against Rondo unfairly, or used, ironically, for many of Nash's teammates in the '05 era) is equally flawed, unproven, and unreplicable.

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. Look at the big three's stats before and after they joined forces. Look at the stats of the Miami guys, Kobe and Pau, AI and Melo or other situations where players that are the focal points of offenses are put with more talented players. Their stats almost always take a hit.

It's completely random and variable; hence the exact opposite logic is used equally to express whichever view the arguer wants to argue.

People say "oh, without the Big 3, rondo wouldn't look this good" or "without nash, stoudemire would be nothing, because 'nash makes others better'" or "Nash put up good stats last year because he's on a bad team."

Fact is, it's totally untrue. Most of the time, the statistical impact is not more or less, but simply changed: usually decreased absolute values (due to sharing the load/focus) with increased efficiency. This is what happened (largely) with boston's big three: decreases in points and usage, with increases in scoring efficiency.

You say things like "it's completely false" and "fact is" but you do absolutely nothing to back up your claims, refute my examples or come up with any of your own. Either my claim was demonstrably false (where you'd demonstrate that it was false, just to be clear) or your statement was a significant overstatement of your opinion.

But somehow you've convinced yourself that Nash had good stats last year because he was on a bad team, despite the fact that that very same player put up BETTER numbers when surrounded by Amare/Marion/Joe Johnson! That is absolute proof of your erroneous logic in this case. Nash puts up good stats because he's good. Rondo puts up good stats because he's good. That's it. Zach Randolph puts up good stats for years because he's good; This year it's the Narrative surrounding him that has changed, when in reality he brought the exact same stuff he always has: size, elite post scoring, elite rebounding, to a team that was actually good around him.

Yes, the fact that Nash put up better numbers in his early thirties than he would in his late thirties is absolute proof. Sadly, it's proof that he's aging and nothing else.

Agreed that players generally get worse when they age. But that it not the question.

You said you don't want Nash because he put up good stats on a bad team.

I showed you that THAT VERY SAME PLAYER put up BETTER STATS withing the last 5 years playing on title contenders with other all stars.  You asked me to prove you wrong, and I did.

Same team:
Amare: blossoming player, very good stats on a bad team the year before nash, Great stats on great team with Nash, great stats (more points, less efficient" on an ok knicks team...Again, doesn't matter whether it's a good or bad team, same player, same impact, good, similar stats.

Keeping the same team, Joe Johnson. good stats on the suns team...better stats on a crappy atlanta team...but then keeps those same stats as Atlanta becomes a perennial playoff team.

I gave you Zach Randolph. Great stats, doesn't matter what team, because he's a very good player, but one player can't do it all; everyone needs teammates.

For a decade, Allen Iverson put up great stats for the sixers, on teams ranging from 33-49 to in the NBA finals.

Good players put up good numbers and impact the game in positive ways. This is not just measured by absolute values of points, or rebounds or assists, but also by efficiency: shooting percentage, rebound percentage, rate of drawing fouls,  etc. I agree that mediocre players on bad teams can attain high point totals, mostly through high shot totals and high minutes.  However, there are many good players who are quite efficient trapped with terrible teammates. I gave you several examples (twice, but you chose to ignore the first few) of players whose stats have consistently been very good regardless of how good their team is. I can't do anything else, anything further is you disagreeing for the sake of not wanting to admit that your original premise, that Nash's good production last season was due to his being on a bad team, is easily falsifiable.

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Again, with this. What are you talking about? Which guy led the NBA in assists and assists percentage last year while having significantly worse teammates? Which guy had the better turnover percentage? Which point guard led his team top a top-10 NBA offense?

The answer to all of those questions is Steve Nash.

Oh wait, he put up those numbers because he had bad teammates...or something? Because it's easier to put up assist numbers as a point guard when you have teammates who are less adept at scoring....or something? I'm confused.

Haha. You're right about being confused The rest was, well, confusing. Nash led the league in assists because Rondo's play tailed off late in the season due to injury. Before that he was well better than Nash. He also had a better assist percentage until then. So unless you're claiming that a healthy Rondo is a better passer than Nash, or that Rondo was the better passer until late in the season and suddenly Nash became better those stats don't help as much as you think. If you're going to bring turnovers into the argument, it's worth pointing out that Rondo has a *better* assist to bad pass ratio than Nash. So that doesn't really help you either.

And, just to help clear things up, Rondo's teammates pass the ball more often than Nash's teammates. To put it another way, Nash's teammates are more likely to shoot it when they get it than Rondo's. So the fact that they don't shoot as well is somewhat balanced off by the fact that they're more likely to shoot the ball when they get the pass. And, just for fun, I'll point out that Rondo's teammates getting more assists than Nash's has *something* to do with Nash's higher assist%.

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Agreed that players generally get worse when they age. But that it not the question.

I showed you that THAT VERY SAME PLAYER put up BETTER STATS withing the last 5 years playing on title contenders with other all stars.  You asked me to prove you wrong, and I did.

Wow. You agree with my statement that refutes your argument yet *still* claim that your argument proves me wrong. Capitalizing those words wasn't convincing enough to overcome that.

Same team:
Amare: blossoming player, very good stats on a bad team the year before nash, Great stats on great team with Nash, great stats (more points, less efficient" on an ok knicks team...Again, doesn't matter whether it's a good or bad team, same player, same impact, good, similar stats.

I'd say he went down by a few points a game after Melo arrived.

Keeping the same team, Joe Johnson. good stats on the suns team...better stats on a crappy atlanta team...but then keeps those same stats as Atlanta becomes a perennial playoff team.

What really good scorer was added to Atlanta? He's still the main scorer, doesn't fit the point.

I gave you Zach Randolph. Great stats, doesn't matter what team, because he's a very good player, but one player can't do it all; everyone needs teammates.

Again, no really good scorers paired with him that would reduce his stats.
For a decade, Allen Iverson put up great stats for the sixers, on teams ranging from 33-49 to in the NBA finals.

Yes, and the minute he was put on a team with a good scorer (Melo) his scoring numbers took a big hit.

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37:54 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
If you're going to bring turnovers into the argument, it's worth pointing out that Rondo has a *better* assist to bad pass ratio than Nash. So that doesn't really help you either.

Grasping at straws. Completely and utterly grasping at straws.

This is a completely arbitrary number with no relevance because it is wholly based on the *other* types of turnovers that the point guard has. For example, right now, the ratio is 72% (Nash) to 68% for bad passes to turnover ratio. Rondo had 15 charges on the year to 4 for Nash.

If Rondo only drew 4 charges as opposed to 15, his "bad passes to turnover ratio" would also be 72%. Basically, you're penalizing Steve Nash for not being called for more charges or dribbling too well.

So basically, you actually have 0 evidence of any kind that Rondo is a better passer than Nash.

Yes, Rondo was better in the first half of the season. But overall, he wasn't. And I also noticed that you don't mention that Steve Nash was also playing through injuries in the second half of the season. It goes both ways.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/03/11/20110311phoenix-suns-steve-nash-injury-recovery.html

Nash's ongoing pubic symphysis irritation worsened despite the two-a-day workouts he had been doing in order to avoid missing a game with one month remaining in the season.

http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix-suns/2011/3/10/2042405/steve-nash-groin-injury-update-phoenix-Suns

Steve Nash is still battling through a groin injury similar to the one he suffered in November. He's working hard on his rehab, to the point that the twice daily movement exercises are leaving him with tired legs in games.

You remind me a bit of the Black Knight in Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Wow. You agree with my statement that refutes your argument yet *still* claim that your argument proves me wrong. Capitalizing those words wasn't convincing enough to overcome that.

Same team:

What really good scorer was added to Atlanta? He's still the main scorer, doesn't fit the point.

Yes, and the minute he was put on a team with a good scorer (Melo) his scoring numbers took a big hit.

Your argument doesn't even relate!!!!! You are now caught arguing both that Nash's numbers are worse than when he had good teammates because he's aging, but at the same time arguing that his numbers were good last year because he had bad teammates.

I provided many quick, just from memory examples of players whose contributions have always been consistently good regardless of being on title contenders or lottery contenders, but somehow these don't count, despite the fact that they, as you specifically asked, directly refute your premise that players put up good stats on bad teams.

With regard to Amare, whom you specifically try to rebutt, guess what: Amare spent the entire month of January without Carmelo, averaging 25.7 per game, and had averaged 24.6 all of november; his blistering december at 29.8 is what had his scoring average very high. But it was clear that Amare had, on his own, cooled back down. In fact, his February numbers were 24.3 points per game...basically no different than his time in octover or december, but not as high as his fluke december month. You might say that this was due to the acquisition of Carmelo, but this doesn't hold up, since Carmelo played in New York for 3 games! So really, Amare was, on his own, holding to his 24-25 ppg baseline. Then, he averaged 24.3 ppg in March...with Carmelo...exactly the same as a 90% carmelo-less February...very close to carmelo-less november and january. Yes, he dropped to 20.8 games in April. But you can't say that was due to Carmelo, since Amare only played 4 games in April, avering 23 ppg for the first three games, before taking time off and putting up a 14 point stinker in just 20 minutes of time in a meaningless season finale.

You are the textbook example of someone who begins with their conclusion already determined and then attempts to twist and misdirect all the data thrown at you to force the information to fit your predetermined conclusion instead of adapting your thinking to fit the facts; as such further rational discussion is useless and a waste of time. 

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
If you're going to bring turnovers into the argument, it's worth pointing out that Rondo has a *better* assist to bad pass ratio than Nash. So that doesn't really help you either.

Grasping at straws. Completely and utterly grasping at straws.

This is a completely arbitrary number with no relevance because it is wholly based on the *other* types of turnovers that the point guard has. For example, right now, the ratio is 72% (Nash) to 68% for bad passes to turnover ratio. Rondo had 15 charges on the year to 4 for Nash.

If Rondo only drew 4 charges as opposed to 15, his "bad passes to turnover ratio" would also be 72%. Basically, you're penalizing Steve Nash for not being called for more charges or dribbling too well.

This is comical. Truly. But, okay. Rondo had 760 assists and 160 passing turnovers, so he had 4.8 assists for every bad pass. Nash had 855 assists and 194 passing turnovers, so he had 4.4 assists for every bad pass. When you're trying to make a case that Nash is a better passer, PASSING TURNOVERS are important, not assist/turnover, turnover percentages, or whatever you were rambling on about above.

So basically, you actually have 0 evidence of any kind that Rondo is a better passer than Nash.

Haha, there you are. I have no evidence of any kind that Rondo's a better passer than Nash other than observing their play. The joke's on you though, as you have no evidence to the contrary. Larry Bird was one of the best if not the best passers of all time. If some random crappy pg had a higher assist rate or higher assist/turnover rate or any other stat better than Larry he'd *still* be a better passer than the crappy pg.

I can't resist bringing up an earlier comment of yours:

"What people are convinced that advanced statistics alone substitute for reality? Please point them out."

Haha.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:50:43 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Same team:

Your argument doesn't even relate!!!!! You are now caught arguing both that Nash's numbers are worse than when he had good teammates because he's aging, but at the same time arguing that his numbers were good last year because he had bad teammates.

I provided many quick, just from memory examples of players whose contributions have always been consistently good regardless of being on title contenders or lottery contenders, but somehow these don't count, despite the fact that they, as you specifically asked, directly refute your premise that players put up good stats on bad teams.

My point all along was that if you combine good players (especially good scorers) on the same teams those players would see a decrease in their statistical production, not their efficiency. You either missed it, or joined the discussion at an inopportune time and got the wrong impression or I didn't explain my point well enough because I thought you understood my original point.

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 11:08:55 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
To be honest, I think Nash does more with what he has to work with than Rondo does.

I think Nash on the Celtics would be absolutely unbelievable offensively, as he has arguably the best court vision in the NBA and is a knock-down shooter around talented, unselfish players.

His defense obviously isn't very good, but with the guys we have behind him, his deficiencies would be masked. What's the difference between Rondo gambling unsuccessfully for a steal thus letting his man penetrate and Nash simply getting blown by?

However, the age disparity is simply too great to ignore. I can't see trading Rondo for Nash because it leaves us with nothing in like 2-3 years. Maybe we can get something for his expiring contract, but usually those bring back marginal, overpaid players.

If this was a 33-year-old Nash...
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2011, 01:19:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
To be honest, I think Nash does more with what he has to work with than Rondo does.

I think Nash on the Celtics would be absolutely unbelievable offensively, as he has arguably the best court vision in the NBA and is a knock-down shooter around talented, unselfish players.

His defense obviously isn't very good, but with the guys we have behind him, his deficiencies would be masked. What's the difference between Rondo gambling unsuccessfully for a steal thus letting his man penetrate and Nash simply getting blown by?

One difference is Rondo rarely lets his man penetrate because he gambled on a steal but Nash would always susceptible to getting blown by. Another difference is that Rondo's a big part of our transition defense (when those guys *aren't* behind him) and Nash wouldn't be that great at that. Also, Rondo's ball pressure causes opposing offenses to set up later in the shot clock, that goes out the window with Nash. Rondo's a much better perimeter defender as well.

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:41 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

One difference is Rondo rarely lets his man penetrate because he gambled on a steal but Nash would always susceptible to getting blown by. Another difference is that Rondo's a big part of our transition defense (when those guys *aren't* behind him) and Nash wouldn't be that great at that. Also, Rondo's ball pressure causes opposing offenses to set up later in the shot clock, that goes out the window with Nash. Rondo's a much better perimeter defender as well.

You are overrating Rondo's defense. I can't count how many times he's made scrubs like Fisher look like ballers.

And that game against Rose was embarrassing.

But as for the transition defense... with Nash, there won't be all that many fast break opportunities because the opposition will be inbounding the ball more times than not.

Obviously Rondo is a good defender and Nash isn't, but this team is about team defense over individual. What makes us so good is how well we rotate and recover. We'd make Nash look competent.

I don't have the numbers, but I doubt our defense was significantly worse without Rondo (especially compared to without KG or Pierce or Perk).
CELTICS 2024