Author Topic: Rondo for Steve Nash  (Read 25437 times)

Re: Rondo for Steve Nash
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We trade Rondo for a lesser pg in order to get more cap space and to give Steve Nash another chance to win a title? A pg that's close to retirement is what we get for Rondo's "all time high trade value"?

You must've misread the OP. The proposal was to trade Rondo for Steve Nash - not sure where you get lesser PG from.

Haha. I guess you must have thought he was talking about 2008 or so.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Thank God Danny wouldn't do this

Trade our best player and more for the worst defensive PG in the NBA?...Not to mention a blithering idiot?

I'd sooner have Iverson in a C's uniform than Los Nash.

Why exactly is Steve Nash a 'blithering idiot'?

Because he spoke against the discriminatory act that governor of Arizona had passed.

BFM, much like Los Nash...obviously didn't read the law, wildly popular with the Arizona populus,   signed by the Governor.

After reading Los Nash's tweet about the violence in his hometown,  this blithering idiot's hypocracy is patently obvious.  

Promotes lawlessness in our country and lawfulness in his.

Additionally, he's the worst defensive guard in the NBA.  Last time I checked our team is built from the defensive end.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
No disrespect meant here, but this is so ridiculous I don't even know why I'm replying! :D
This would be absolute robbery for Phoenix. I thoroughly hope there's no lock out. The ideas would just get more and more insane.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I would go for Nash even if it meant giving up Rondo.  Rondo's lack of shooting hurts us far more in my opinion than it seems most acknowledge.  I think many of the Rondo advocates would be shocked at how much more the big 3 could do if we had a PG who the other team actually had to cover.

And it may have extended their careers a little too if Rondo could make you pay for slacking off of him or doubling someone else.  The Big 3 wouldn't have had to work so hard on offense and may have had more left in the tank to finish other teams off in the last 6 minutes of a game.

But they'd have to work 3 times harder on defense covering for the opposing PG who operates as if there isn't an opposing PG on the court....As Los Nash stands in one place stroking his greasy hair like he does in Phoenix.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

We trade Rondo for a lesser pg in order to get more cap space and to give Steve Nash another chance to win a title? A pg that's close to retirement is what we get for Rondo's "all time high trade value"?

You must've misread the OP. The proposal was to trade Rondo for Steve Nash - not sure where you get lesser PG from.

Steve Nash - 14.7 ppg, 11.4 assists (led the league), 20.8 PER, .601 TS%, .153 WS/48, 53.1 assists percentage (led league), 22.4 turnover percentage

Rajon Rondo - 10.6 ppg, 11.2 assists, 17.1 PER, .518 TS%, .126 WS/48, 47.1 assists percentage, 24.3 turnover percentage

Those are 2011 numbers by the way. Even more impressively, Nash posted those with absolute garbage around him for the most part.

Yes, he's poor defensively, but as an actual point guard, Nash still blows Rondo out of the water.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I would go for Nash even if it meant giving up Rondo.  Rondo's lack of shooting hurts us far more in my opinion than it seems most acknowledge.  I think many of the Rondo advocates would be shocked at how much more the big 3 could do if we had a PG who the other team actually had to cover.

I think that many of Rondo's detractors would be shocked that if you got a pg that other teams "actually had to cover" that defenses wouldn't stick to that player like glue when he's 20 feet from the basket and would still cheat off of him at times. I also think they'd be confused that our offense didn't improve much if at all because Rondo's passing and ability to run an offense help the team far more that many people will acknowledge.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Thank God Danny wouldn't do this

Trade our best player and more for the worst defensive PG in the NBA?...Not to mention a blithering idiot?

I'd sooner have Iverson in a C's uniform than Los Nash.

Why exactly is Steve Nash a 'blithering idiot'?

Because he spoke against the discriminatory act that governor of Arizona had passed.

BFM, much like Los Nash...obviously didn't read the law, wildly popular with the Arizona populus,   signed by the Governor.

After reading Los Nash's tweet about the violence in his hometown,  this blithering idiot's hypocracy is patently obvious.  

Promotes lawlessness in our country and lawfulness in his.

Additionally, he's the worst defensive guard in the NBA.  Last time I checked our team is built from the defensive end.

I'd argue that the tone you're employing is a bit hypocritical.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Steve Nash - 14.7 ppg, 11.4 assists (led the league), 20.8 PER, .601 TS%, .153 WS/48, 53.1 assists percentage (led league), 22.4 turnover percentage

Rajon Rondo - 10.6 ppg, 11.2 assists, 17.1 PER, .518 TS%, .126 WS/48, 47.1 assists percentage, 24.3 turnover percentage

Those are 2011 numbers by the way. Even more impressively, Nash posted those with absolute garbage around him for the most part.

It's obvious to most that good players surrounded by "garbage" put up inflated stats. Zt's not impressive, it's expected. Players with better teammates put up lower stats.

Yes, he's poor defensively, but as an actual point guard, Nash still blows Rondo out of the water.

Actual point guards play defense. Some of them even rebound. It's true.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

It's obvious to most that good players surrounded by "garbage" put up inflated stats. Zt's not impressive, it's expected. Players with better teammates put up lower stats.

How are assists and true shooting percentages inflated by having poor quality teammates?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 07:12:57 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Of course someone would suggest this trade idea AGAIN.  ::)

This is an insult to Rondo. Period. It may as well be a topic bashing him.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
That's a bold statement.  He's bad but he's not bottom of the barrel when it comes to guards.  If you watch him, he actually plays defense, he's just slow and weak.  There are plenty of guards that don't even try.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if we trade rondo in any deal/package...i want it to be as an upgrade for both the present and future.

nash doesnt fit that criteria.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

How are assists and true shooting percentages inflated by having poor quality teammates?

You must not have noticed that he quoted more than two stats. In any case, dominating the ball leads to high assist totals, just ask LeBron.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You must not have noticed that he quoted more than two stats. In any case, dominating the ball leads to high assist totals, just ask LeBron.

I was asking specifically about those two, because I did not know. I know why scoring is inflated.

I'm left unsatisfied by your explanation regarding assists, frankly. Can you explain further? Does Rondo "dominate" the ball less than Nash? Is there a metric for that that will allow for comparison?

And the TS%?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
So the trade is to acquire a better player (Which Nash is not)
Plus Nash is 37 near retirement, Rondo is 25

I'm confused