Author Topic: Rondo for Steve Nash  (Read 25429 times)

Rondo for Steve Nash
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »

Offline joey_sorensen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Let me start by saying I love Rondo, and have since the day we acquired him, but I'm not sold that he will be able to play at the level we have gotten used to in the post big 3 era. The reality is he is a great passer but he has little offensive game. If we already had one or two dependable scorers already on our team that could eventually take over from the big 3 I'd say keep him but we don't.

Rondo's trade value is at an all time high so I propose this trade:

Rondo for Steve Nash (and whatever filler to make it work, possibly BBD in S&T)

This gives Phoenix an established PG who could flourish in their up and style type of game, on a pretty friendly contract.

Steve Nash gets a legit shot with the big 3 at the championship, and if we don't win his contract expires.

This gives us a mountain of cap space to pursue Chris Paul and Dwight Howard, then re-up jeff green or let him walk and go after another swingman.

Personally I don't think D12 or CP3 are gonna end up here, but I think this is a good scenario for all teams and players involved.

Re: Rondo for Steve Nash
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We trade Rondo for a lesser pg in order to get more cap space and to give Steve Nash another chance to win a title? A pg that's close to retirement is what we get for Rondo's "all time high trade value"?

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:08:03 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  The Celtic's interior defense would get killed because Nash's perimeter defense is atrocious.   

I'm not completely against trading Rondo or anyone else on this team but I'm not trading this teams best asset and best young player for a guy who was past his prime a few years ago.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
this is a terrible trade idea. Giving up Rondo's future for a PG thisclose to retirement. Pass.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Maybe Rondo and Green for Nash and Gortat.  We cover our holes (PG outside shooting and inside scoring) and Phoenix gets a building block or two.

This would make the C's favorites again and we'd have a young(ish) center to build around.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Maybe Rondo and Green for Nash and Gortat.  We cover our holes (PG outside shooting and inside scoring) and Phoenix gets a building block or two.

This would make the C's favorites again and we'd have a young(ish) center to build around.

We don't cover our holes, we shift them to other areas that the team will have a hard time compensating for.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
this is a terrible trade idea. Giving up Rondo's future for a PG thisclose to retirement. Pass.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

I agree.  You can still compete for a championship now without mortgaging the future...

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:16:15 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

We trade Rondo for a lesser pg in order to get more cap space and to give Steve Nash another chance to win a title? A pg that's close to retirement is what we get for Rondo's "all time high trade value"?

You must've misread the OP. The proposal was to trade Rondo for Steve Nash - not sure where you get lesser PG from.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I would go for Nash even if it meant giving up Rondo.  Rondo's lack of shooting hurts us far more in my opinion than it seems most acknowledge.  I think many of the Rondo advocates would be shocked at how much more the big 3 could do if we had a PG who the other team actually had to cover.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Rondo can't shoot yada yada yada, but what about Nash atrocious defense? Even if tried I don't think Steve Nash can defend a chair. awful trade. Rondo 25 Nash 37 nuff said.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Thank God Danny wouldn't do this

Trade our best player and more for the worst defensive PG in the NBA?...Not to mention a blithering idiot?

I'd sooner have Iverson in a C's uniform than Los Nash.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Trade our best player and more for the worst defensive PG in the NBA?...Not to mention a blithering idiot?

Why exactly is Steve Nash a 'blithering idiot'?

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Why exactly is Steve Nash a 'blithering idiot'?

Because he spoke against the discriminatory law that governor of Arizona had passed.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I would go for Nash even if it meant giving up Rondo.  Rondo's lack of shooting hurts us far more in my opinion than it seems most acknowledge.  I think many of the Rondo advocates would be shocked at how much more the big 3 could do if we had a PG who the other team actually had to cover.

And it may have extended their careers a little too if Rondo could make you pay for slacking off of him or doubling someone else.  The Big 3 wouldn't have had to work so hard on offense and may have had more left in the tank to finish other teams off in the last 6 minutes of a game.
We all think we know more than we really do....