Author Topic: Celtics/Hawks trade (idea)  (Read 5863 times)

Celtics/Hawks trade (idea)
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Knowing Josh Smith is possibly available and that the Hawks would love to rid themselves of Joe Johnson's contract, would you trade Ray and KG for Johnson and Smith?

Hey, the Celts get younger and can still compete as we both know Smith and J.J. can play.

I understand cap space is important, BUT realistically, does anyone really think D.H. is going to be a Celtic in 2012 or are we just kidding ourselves?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:43:17 AM by Fafnir »

Re: Celtics/Hawks trade
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Knowing Josh Smith is possibly available and that the Hawks would love to rid themselves of Joe Johnson's contract, would you trade Ray and KG for Johnson and Smith?

Hey, the Celts get younger and can still compete as we both know Smith and J.J. can play.

I understand cap space is important, BUT realistically, does anyone really think D.H. is going to be a Celtic in 2012 or are we just kidding ourselves?

I'm not convinced that Smith is ever going to be more than he is and Joe Johnson is only going to get worse and he was barely better than Ray this past season. So I'd have to pass on this trade.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'm not convinced that Smith is ever going to be more than he is and Joe Johnson is only going to get worse and he was barely better than Ray this past season. So I'd have to pass on this trade.

I don't know. I understand the attachment to KG and Ray as they brought us a championship and I am a bigger KG fan than anybody! That said, I was pretty disgusted with the way the Celtics played vs. Miami and feel like the time is now right to pull the trigger on a mega deal.

Honestly, I think something like this might be the only way for the Celtics to salvage themselves as Ray and KG aren't getting younger.

From what I've seen from Josh Smith, he looks like a younger KG to me that needs a little more maturity and Joe Johnson is a younger version of Ray, who also needs a bit of growing up, still.

You pair these guys up with Doc's tutoring and Pierce's leadership, sign Dalembert with the MLE, that's easily a 45-50 win team (IMO.)

Again, I know the 2012 cap space issue is important but I just think the odds of landing Howard, Paul or Williams is like finding a needle in a haystack.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:03 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I don't know. I understand the attachment to KG and Ray as they brought us a championship and I am a bigger KG fan than anybody! That said, I was pretty disgusted with the way the Celtics played vs. Miami and feel like the time is now right to pull the trigger on a mega deal.

Honestly, I think something like this might be the only way for the Celtics to salvage themselves as Ray and KG aren't getting younger.

From what I've seen from Josh Smith, he looks like a younger KG to me that needs a little more maturity and Joe Johnson is a younger version of Ray, who also needs a bit of growing up, still.

You pair these guys up with Doc's tutoring and Pierce's leadership, sign Dalembert with the MLE, that's easily a 45-50 win team (IMO.)

Again, I know the 2012 cap space issue is important but I just think the odds of landing Howard, Paul or Williams is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Problem is this isn't a mega deal, these are not game changing players, pretty good players but they don't rocket us into championship status and never will. I'm all for blowing it up if you get the right players, but these are the wrong players. This would be blowing it up for blowing it ups sake.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i only want smith, but not at that price of 13 mil a season

i dont want johnson cuz he eats up salary cap so having both might prevent us from signing Dwight (even if he wants to come, we have no money)

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think that the Celtics should acquire massively bad contracts, period.  You might as well suggest trading for Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Can the title of this thread be changed to show it's a trade idea and not a rumor?  :)

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:08:47 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

So, we are basically trading to get the same (worse) record than we already get with the old guys? I'll pass! Matter of fact, we KNOW what KG and Ray can get us right now... this is an ASSUMPTION on what Smith and Johnson could potentially give us. Not to forget, chemistry! They are younger but I bet this team wouldn't be better w/ Smith and Johnson.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Joe johnson isnt even close to being worth that sorta money.

And Josh smith would only be a viable option to learn from KG, not as a swap.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:12:11 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
The C's would be a slightly better team than the Hawks are currently with that trade. Pretty much stuck in mediocrity, not good enough to ever win a championship and not bad enough to get a lottery pick.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
If i'm the Hawks I'd do this in a heartbeat, which makes me appreciate the situation the Celtics are in this year,next year and beyond.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

TP,I don't think even KG can help undo a knucklehead...Last night on "Sports Sunday"Bob Ryan Boston sportswriter was asked what was his feelings on the likelihood of Josh Smith coming to the Celtics,Ryan's replied"i'll quit my job on the spot if Danny brought him here".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:31:09 AM by housecall »

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

TP,I don't think even KG can help undo a knucklehead...Last night on "Sports Sunday"Bob Ryan Boston sportswriter was asked what was his feelings on the likelihood of Josh Smith coming to the Celtics,Ryan's replied"i'll quit my job on the spot if Danny brought him here".
then it is worth it for that reason alone.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Can the title of this thread be changed to show it's a trade idea and not a rumor?  :)
it is in the Trade Ideas and Rumors section of the blog.  Doesn't that pretty well imply it is a trade idea and/or rumor.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
it is in the Trade Ideas and Rumors section of the blog.  Doesn't that pretty well imply it is a trade idea and/or rumor.
Yes, but it helps to clearly label things. Especilaly given the latest forum topics don't show which sub-forum the thread is located in.

Trade Ideas and Trade Rumors should be clearly labeled, as they are different things. (a fan idea for a trade versus a report or rumor)