Author Topic: Rajon Rondo Highlights- Champion  (Read 11823 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo Highlights- Champion
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »

Offline ms.ball

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • I love the Celtics
Great video!!!!

Thank you for that, its refreshing to be reminded of what Rajon means to this team.  ;)
Basketball is my life, these are my babies!
PP34, RR9, RA20, KG5

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Sorry, we don't do positive Rondo threads around here.
Ha!
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ha!
Nice vid. Doesnt chage the fact that Rondo is the worst shooting starting point guard in the entire league. 57% free throws and 23% 3ptrs.

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Ha!
Nice vid. Doesnt chage the fact that Rondo is the worst shooting starting point guard in the entire league. 57% free throws and 23% 3ptrs.

Which, in turn, doesn't change the fact that Rondo's a very good offensive player because of his passing, vision, ability to run an offense and finishing at the rim. It's great that you've been able to notice that he's a poor jump shooter, not so great that you aren't able to figure out what he does well.

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
Ha!

Which, in turn, doesn't change the fact that Rondo's a very good offensive player because of his passing, vision, ability to run an offense and finishing at the rim. It's great that you've been able to notice that he's a poor jump shooter, not so great that you aren't able to figure out what he does well.

The fact that Rondo cant shoot makes it impossible for him to be "a very good offensive player"

He is a below average NBA player luckily playing with three HOF.

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Ha!

The fact that Rondo cant shoot makes it impossible for him to be "a very good offensive player"

He is a below average NBA player luckily playing with three HOF.

No, the fact that Rondo can't shoot makes it impossible for some people to understand how he can be a very good offensive player. Which, of course, he is.

If you're so convinced that he's luckily playing with three HOF players who carry him on offense, you should try and get a copy of the Heat series and check out how unstoppable our offense was when Rondo was injured or out of the game. I'm sure the outcome will come as quite a shock to you.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:37 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
We played better with Delonte. Rondo was nullfied by Bibby. Then post elbowgate Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench. Cause a one armed Rondo is the best option ::)

I remember the Heat series fine. Thank you.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
We played better with Delonte. Rondo was nullfied by Bibby. Then post elbowgate Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench. Cause a one armed Rondo is the best option ::)

The truth of the matter is that, yes, a one armed Rondo was the best option. Much better than Delonte, no surprise. For the Heat series, we were +18 when Rondo played and -40 when Delonte played. Even in the last two games, when "Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench", we were -2 with Rondo playing and -25 with Delonte. The offense tanked when Rondo was out of those games. If you remember those games just fine I'd wonder why you think we played better with Delonte.

Same thing in the regular season, by the way. We scored about 15 points a game more with Rondo playing pg than West. We were +420 with Rondo playing pg, and a -18 with Delonte. Oh, and just for kicks, similar things happened in 06-07, when West was in his 3rd year and Rondo was a rookie. The offense was only a few points better with Rondo than West playing pg, but Rondo was a +5 (on a bottom 5 team) while Delonte was a -221. So, I guess this means you think that the team's always done better with West than Rondo?

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
the stats(and my eyes) show that the celtics are Alot better with Rondo on the floor...when on the floor he's responsible for 47% of offensive plays...thats huge..

Our big 3 cant create offense for themselves anymore as effectively and thats why when Delonte/Nate were running the show  in starters minutes, the celtics offense was abysmal..if hes "made to look better because of the big 3" then Delonte of nate wouldve been dropping 10-20dimes a game...but they werent..because rondo is a better playmaker...

not to mention in the playoffs, Rondo can average 17ppg...he's not chopped liver offensively..how soon we forget the series with Cleveland, orlando, even NYC this year where he had 30pt games and 20assist games...

I dont understand the hate for rondo personally(or BBD) it seems celtics fans just want to find a scapegoat for not winning a championship..and since it cant be the big 3, it has to be Rondo or BBD, or Green or any other young guy...allstar poitn guards dont grow on trees...and alot of teams would die for a guard like Rondo...I certainly dont want to go back to the days of whatever scrubs we were throwing out at PG in the early 2000's

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

The truth of the matter is that, yes, a one armed Rondo was the best option. Much better than Delonte, no surprise. For the Heat series, we were +18 when Rondo played and -40 when Delonte played. Even in the last two games, when "Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench", we were -2 with Rondo playing and -25 with Delonte. The offense tanked when Rondo was out of those games. If you remember those games just fine I'd wonder why you think we played better with Delonte.

Same thing in the regular season, by the way. We scored about 15 points a game more with Rondo playing pg than West. We were +420 with Rondo playing pg, and a -18 with Delonte. Oh, and just for kicks, similar things happened in 06-07, when West was in his 3rd year and Rondo was a rookie. The offense was only a few points better with Rondo than West playing pg, but Rondo was a +5 (on a bottom 5 team) while Delonte was a -221. So, I guess this means you think that the team's always done better with West than Rondo?

I stopped taking your stats seriously 2 years ago when you tried to convince me that Rondo was a great defender based on efg%

Does (+/-) stats factor in fatigue? Does it factor is that Delonte had been injured? or wasnt in gameshape? Does it factor in individual matchups? Rondo spent most of his time guarding Bibby/Chalmers and West spent some long stretches guarding Wade.So how can you compare(+/-)?
Its a false stat just like your efg argument.You want to quantify everything with stats and sorry I dont buy it.

Rondo cant shoot the ball and its a liability. The reason he shoots so poorly is simply because he is not interested in getting better.He believes his own hype.  Anyone can increased ft% with practice and he has been a pro 5 years. A NBA point guard shooting 57% ft is a joke.

A one-armed Rondo should have been on the bench.They Heat just laid off him and sagged down defensively. It was like watching 4v5.Doc didnt have the balls to sit him down because he knows Rondo is immature and would have made drama and it costs us.

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
We played better with Delonte. Rondo was nullfied by Bibby. Then post elbowgate Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench. Cause a one armed Rondo is the best option ::)

The truth of the matter is that, yes, a one armed Rondo was the best option. Much better than Delonte, no surprise. For the Heat series, we were +18 when Rondo played and -40 when Delonte played. Even in the last two games, when "Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench", we were -2 with Rondo playing and -25 with Delonte. The offense tanked when Rondo was out of those games. If you remember those games just fine I'd wonder why you think we played better with Delonte.

I stopped taking your stats seriously 2 years ago when you tried to convince me that Rondo was a great defender based on efg%

And here we are, two years later, with Rondo garnering two straight all-defense first team awards. Two straight years where he finishes top 5 in DPOY voting. What a coincidence.

Does (+/-) stats factor in fatigue? Does it factor is that Delonte had been injured? or wasnt in gameshape?

Haha. The guy who plays half the minutes of Rondo is suffering from fatigue? The guy who was playing almost every game since mid-march wasn't in shape for the playoffs? Try again.

Does it factor in individual matchups? Rondo spent most of his time guarding Bibby/Chalmers and West spent some long stretches guarding Wade.So how can you compare(+/-)?
Its a false stat just like your efg argument.You want to quantify everything with stats and sorry I dont buy it.

Does who Delonte's guarding explain why the offense was so much worse when he was pg that it was with a one-armed Rondo? It's not just +/-, although the fact that we were getting killed when Delonte was playing and Rondo wasn't calls into serious question your claim that we were better with Delonte than Rondo.

You don't mind trotting out stats that support your claims, such as stats about Rondo's shooting, but any other stats than yours are "false stats".

Rondo cant shoot the ball and its a liability.

This one you got correct. Rondo isn't a great shooter, and his shooting is a liability. Fortunately for the Celts, though, he more than makes up for it in other areas of his game. You really have to measure how well people play by their total impact on the game, not just on how well they do one particular thing.

The reason he shoots so poorly is simply because he is not interested in getting better.He believes his own hype.  Anyone can increased ft% with practice and he has been a pro 5 years. A NBA point guard shooting 57% ft is a joke.

Of course Rondo's interested in improving, it's just that much of his improvement comes in areas such as passing and how well he runs the offense (or defends, for that matter). In other words, things you probably wouldn't notice.

A one-armed Rondo should have been on the bench.They Heat just laid off him and sagged down defensively. It was like watching 4v5.Doc didnt have the balls to sit him down because he knows Rondo is immature and would have made drama and it costs us.

I've seen Doc bench Paul Pierce before, but he's afraid of Rondo? Really? That's kind of a stretch. You'd have a valid complaint if the team actually played *worse* with Rondo in the game, but the fact is they played *better*. I'd guess that Doc was doing what he did to try and win games, not because he's afraid of his players.

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 04:56:10 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
We played better with Delonte. Rondo was nullfied by Bibby. Then post elbowgate Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench. Cause a one armed Rondo is the best option ::)

The truth of the matter is that, yes, a one armed Rondo was the best option. Much better than Delonte, no surprise. For the Heat series, we were +18 when Rondo played and -40 when Delonte played. Even in the last two games, when "Rondos  pride refused to let him sit when we had a healthy Carlos on the bench", we were -2 with Rondo playing and -25 with Delonte. The offense tanked when Rondo was out of those games. If you remember those games just fine I'd wonder why you think we played better with Delonte.

And here we are, two years later, with Rondo garnering two straight all-defense first team awards. Two straight years where he finishes top 5 in DPOY voting. What a coincidence.

Does (+/-) stats factor in fatigue? Does it factor is that Delonte had been injured? or wasnt in gameshape?

Haha. The guy who plays half the minutes of Rondo is suffering from fatigue? The guy who was playing almost every game since mid-march wasn't in shape for the playoffs? Try again.

Does it factor in individual matchups? Rondo spent most of his time guarding Bibby/Chalmers and West spent some long stretches guarding Wade.So how can you compare(+/-)?

Does who Delonte's guarding explain why the offense was so much worse when he was pg that it was with a one-armed Rondo? It's not just +/-, although the fact that we were getting killed when Delonte was playing and Rondo wasn't calls into serious question your claim that we were better with Delonte than Rondo.

You don't mind trotting out stats that support your claims, such as stats about Rondo's shooting, but any other stats than yours are "false stats".

Rondo cant shoot the ball and its a liability.

This one you got correct. Rondo isn't a great shooter, and his shooting is a liability. Fortunately for the Celts, though, he more than makes up for it in other areas of his game. You really have to measure how well people play by their total impact on the game, not just on how well they do one particular thing.

The reason he shoots so poorly is simply because he is not interested in getting better.He believes his own hype.  Anyone can increased ft% with practice and he has been a pro 5 years. A NBA point guard shooting 57% ft is a joke.

Of course Rondo's interested in improving, it's just that much of his improvement comes in areas such as passing and how well he runs the offense (or defends, for that matter). In other words, things you probably wouldn't notice.

I've seen Doc bench Paul Pierce before, but he's afraid of Rondo? Really? That's kind of a stretch. You'd have a valid complaint if the team actually played *worse* with Rondo in the game, but the fact is they played *better*. I'd guess that Doc was doing what he did to try and win games, not because he's afraid of his players.

The only reason he even gets noticed is because of his steal numbers. Funny how when Rondo won the Celtic single season steal record Garnett went out of his way to call Rondos steals, gambles in the post game press conference. Fact is his gambeling leads to alot of defensive breakdowns and when Garnett retires the shine will come off Rondos allworld defense.

Delonte had to helped off the court in a game vs Washington on april 11.This was the third time he sprained his ankle.West missed eight games in late February and early March with a badly sprained right anklehttp://articles.boston.com/2011-04-11/sports/29407093_1_sprains-delonte-west-ankle. this was after he missed half the year with a broken wrist. No he wasnt in game shape really not hard to understand.

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
The only reason he even gets noticed is because of his steal numbers. Funny how when Rondo won the Celtic single season steal record Garnett went out of his way to call Rondos steals, gambles in the post game press conference. Fact is his gambeling leads to alot of defensive breakdowns and when Garnett retires the shine will come off Rondos allworld defense.

The reason he gets noticed on defense goes well beyond his steal numbers. For starters, I'd go with how poorly most point guards play against him. Also, the havoc his help defense causes other teams. I don't think KG razzing him during a press conference means he's a bad defender, and I'll go out on a limb and say you've got no evidence that he won't be seen as a great defender after KG leaves.

The only time he's played significant minutes without KG were his rookie year (when his defense was very good) and when KG had the knee injury (also very good defense).

Delonte had to helped off the court in a game vs Washington on april 11.This was the third time he sprained his ankle.West missed eight games in late February and early March with a badly sprained right anklehttp://articles.boston.com/2011-04-11/sports/29407093_1_sprains-delonte-west-ankle. this was after he missed half the year with a broken wrist. No he wasnt in game shape really not hard to understand.

So, where exactly are we on this? Are you saying we weren't better with West because he wasn't in shape, that we were better with West than with Rondo despite being outscored badly when Delonte played, or that we were worse with Delonte but we *would* have been better with him if he was healthy (despite the fact that we've always been better with Rondo)?