Author Topic: POR/ATL/ORL rumor/idea  (Read 1626 times)

POR/ATL/ORL rumor/idea
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Rumors (although called "overblown" by one media outlet) of talks between Portland and Orlando regarding a swap of Andre Miller (whose contract for next year is not guaranteed, i.e. salary relief) and a draft pick for Jameer Nelson.

Also rumors of Orlando's interest in acquiring Josh Smith.

I thought I'd combine the two:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=65ngq2j

ATL trades Smith, gets Miller, #21, Anderson and Bass.
ORL trades Nelson, Anderson, and Bass, gets Smith.
POR trades Miller and #21, gets Nelson.

Enough for all sides to be happy? Maybe not enough for Smith.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: POR/ATL/ORL rumor/idea
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Rumors (although called "overblown" by one media outlet) of talks between Portland and Orlando regarding a swap of Andre Miller (whose contract for next year is not guaranteed, i.e. salary relief) and a draft pick for Jameer Nelson.

I really like the general idea for Orlando.  I think Gilbert needs consistent minutes to finally become productive again, he's most comfortable playing PG (which Nelson is blocking), seems like Dwight is a proponent of him playing more, and Smith would be a great addition.

I think Jameer could have a lot of value to a team looking for an experienced steady hand at PG and Portland fits that description pretty well (along with Sac, Miami, LAC, and Detroit)

Ultimately, I think Atlanta can get considerably more for Smith.  I think they really need/want to trade him for a C that can push Horford to PF.  Orlando is the team that needs to give up more assets to Atlanta in the deal (which they don't have).  I don't know if draft picks will do it since Atlanta should have no desire to rebuild anytime soon with JJ's contract.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I really like the general idea for Orlando.  I think Gilbert needs consistent minutes to finally become productive again, he's most comfortable playing PG (which Nelson is blocking), seems like Dwight is a proponent of him playing more, and Smith would be a great addition.

I think Jameer could have a lot of value to a team looking for an experienced steady hand at PG and Portland fits that description pretty well (along with Sac, Miami, LAC, and Detroit)

Ultimately, I think Atlanta can get considerably more for Smith.  I think they really need/want to trade him for a C that can push Horford to PF.  Orlando is the team that needs to give up more assets to Atlanta in the deal (which they don't have).  I don't know if draft picks will do it since Atlanta should have no desire to rebuild anytime soon with JJ's contract.

Agreed about Atlanta wanting that C to pair with Horford. Perhaps Atlanta could then flip Miller and some filler to the Clippers for Kaman?

I neglected to consider Josh Smith's 15% trade kicker. That might torpedo things here.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I hope this doesn't happen, this would mean guaranteed Howard signing an extension with Orlando, and that frontcourt will be scary.
People objecting on Smith to Boston will regret if we had the chance to get him and he went to Orlando. Dwight is literally begging them to bring in Smith, and Smith likes Boston, that's an opportunity of a lifetime for Boston.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I hope this doesn't happen, this would mean guaranteed Howard signing an extension with Orlando, and that frontcourt will be scary.
People objecting on Smith to Boston will regret if we had the chance to get him and he went to Orlando. Dwight is literally begging them to bring in Smith, and Smith likes Boston, that's an opportunity of a lifetime for Boston.

Can't say I'd be that scared of the Magic if they pulled this off. They'd have to rely on Arenas and Duhon at PG, they'd have no frontcourt depth, and Smith would still be clanging jumpers half the time he had the ball in his hands.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not enough value for Josh Smith. I don't think Atlanta bites.

Orlando would still need a fair bit of work to become a contender again but this would be a step in the right direction. One that serves them very well for a long period of time.

I didn't realize that Jameer Nelson was already 30 years old. Undersized PG reliant on his quickness. Probably won't age too well. Nothing more than a stop gap solution to Portland's PG problems. Still, a good stop gap solution. I think they should be looking for something more long term though (with Andre Miller's contract).

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
 Atlanta just saw first-hand how terrible Orlando’s frontcourt was after Howard (Bass and Anderson combined to average 12pts – on sub 40% shooting – and 8 boards in 48 mpg in the playoffs) and now they want to swap Josh Smith for it? One season of Andre Miller and the #21 pick in weak draft (or Jameer Nelson if you cut Portland out of it) aren’t worth jumping off that cliff.  A coup for Orlando, a disaster for Atlanta, and a lateral move for Portland.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri