Author Topic: Jimmy Butler  (Read 6671 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
James Posey was a very good athlete when he entered the NBA.

They are saying that J.Butler is only an average athlete.

To add to that, J.Butler's wingspan is fairly short (6-8) and his standing reach is only 8-5 which is well undersized for a small forward in the NBA. James Posey had excellent length (7 feet) and about an 8-10 standing reach.

In terms of physical attributes, J.Butler is no comparison to J.Posey.

---------------------------------------------

Posey was also a much better rebounder in college. He was pulling down 8-9 rebounds a game throughout his college career. J.Butler only took down 6 in 35 minutes at Marquette.

-----------------------------------------------------

Those two things leap out at me.

I don't think Posey is a suitable comparison. I would be setting the bar a fair bit lower.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

To add to that, J.Butler's wingspan is fairly short (6-8) and his standing reach is only 8-5 which is well undersized for a small forward in the NBA. James Posey had excellent length (7 feet) and about an 8-10 standing reach.

Posey was also a much better rebounder in college. He was pulling down 8-9 rebounds a game throughout his college career. J.Butler only took down 6 in 35 minutes at Marquette.

I don't think Posey is a suitable comparison. I would be setting the bar a fair bit lower.

His measurements and college production point to a less-skilled Jared Dudley.  I'd put Dudley/Posey as ceilings for Butler.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
I don't really get why we would draft another small forward who is considered a second round talent when we already have PP and Jeff Green. This guy kinda reminds me of Deshawn Sims.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
No chance the Cs take Jimmy Butler.

He has a great attitude but not nearly athletic or smart enough. No reason the Cs draft a question mark pick for a position they are all set at with Pierce and Green.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I don't really get why we would draft another small forward who is considered a second round talent when we already have PP and Jeff Green. This guy kinda reminds me of Deshawn Sims.

Chad Ford has us picking not one, but two small forwards (Jamine Peterson in 2nd round) in his most recent mock draft. I agree with you - why pick two players in our strongest position? I'm just glad Chad Ford is a tool and has no clue what he's talking about.

Also, I've said this before, but the C's should go with Rick Jackson with 55. He's a 4 year college power forward, Big East defensive player of the year, and averages a double double. He'll never be a starter in this league, but he could jump in right away, grab some boards, and play some D.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

.   From the various descriptions out there, I’m thinking Eric Williams would be a better comparison.  Average athlete, a physical and committed defender, mid-range and in offensively.  I think he’d make a nice 3rd-string wing with Von Wafer, offering defense and a fuller floor game in contrast to Wafer’s more explosive offensive game.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
He is a much better ball handler than Posey and not the same athlete. 

I think his comp would be a tougher Marquis Daniels.  Good handle, strong defense, not an outside shooter but will knock down a few wide open shots.

Also I think his personality would fit the Celtics and the veterans would appreciate his life story.