Author Topic: Jimmy Butler  (Read 6645 times)

Jimmy Butler
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Andy Katz reported:

"Boston brought back Marquette’s Jimmy Butler for another workout Wednesday, and he’s in play for the Celtics at No. 25."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/category/_/name/draft-reports

Chad Ford has us picking him in his latest mock today:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-110623

I like this kid, he is the one with the Blidside story.  Seems like a solid kid with a good all around game and a hardworker.  Can probably help at multiple positions.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-110623

Re: Jimmy Butler
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Sounds like James Posey.  Doesn't blow me away, but it would certainly be a solid pick.  Sounds like a guy who could step in quickly.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
I like this kid. He seems to show a knowhow for the game.  Plus he wore number 33 in college. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZsGGSHcdi8

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
yeah, i've become a fan of this kid over the last 24 hours.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
An unheralded pick out of Marquette? Where have I heard of this before...

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
The fact that he is a true senior and from all reports has an excellent detail-oriented work ethic has won me over.  He sounds like a Landry Fields type who is getting overlooked by teams on draft day but may end up playing more minutes in his rookie year than 2/3rds of the guys picked ahead of him.  Sign me up.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

Offline toneskeet

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Could we buy a 2nd rd pick for him? Or would we be using the 25.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sounds like he's going to be in the league for 10+ years.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I think we would be using the 25.  From what I have read about him, he might be the kind of guy who might rise on draft day. 

I could see them buy/trade for a pick to get Tyler though.  I could see him playing out similar to the Bill Walker situation.  A guy they consider in the first round, and when he is sliding in the second round, they jump in to grab him. 

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

I think we would be using the 25.  From what I have read about him, he might be the kind of guy who might rise on draft day. 

I could see them buy/trade for a pick to get Tyler though.  I could see him playing out similar to the Bill Walker situation.  A guy they consider in the first round, and when he is sliding in the second round, they jump in to grab him. 

Let's just hope if that is what happens Tyler will end up better with us than Walker did.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:14:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Let's just hope if that is what happens Tyler will end up better with us than Walker did.

And that is why you take those guys in the second round, where contracts are more flexible. 

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I like him a lot - seems like a good kid.....

But everybody says he is a second round talent and I'd hate to see us reach like that at #25

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Looks like a nice player I saw posey's name there so it seems like that would be the case.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
Here is the write up from draft express on Jimmy Butler.

"Looking through the rest of this class of forwards, a few things stand out. First is how well Jimmy Butler seems to rank in virtually every category, starting with overall offensive efficiency (6th), and continuing with turnover rate (2nd best), free throw rate (2nd) and transition scoring (2nd). If he can improve his ability to make shots with his feet set (13th, 36% FG) he will likely carve out a long career for himself considering how staunch of a defender he is."

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jimmy-Butler-6315/

Staunch defender.  I like that. 

He does duplicate what Jeff Green brings to the table but imagine having the two 6'8" athletes running along side rondo.  The thought of that, makes me drool.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like him a lot - seems like a good kid.....

But everybody says he is a second round talent and I'd hate to see us reach like that at #25

He's projected as top of the 2nd round, so it wouldn't be that much of a reach.  I think his situation is a bit similar to the year we drafted Delonte West.  West was considered a "reach" by the mock draft experts, who lampooned the Cs for selecting him towards the end of the first round.

Celtics fan for life.