Author Topic: Parker and 29 for Miller, Batum, and 21 was almost made, but...  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
at the last moment the Spurs insisted that Richard Jefferson be included and the Blazers balked.

It would seem if you want Parker you have to take Jefferson unless you really wow the Spurs with an offer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Parker and 29 for Miller, Batum, and 21 was almost made, but...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:04 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Interesting news.
It seems that the Spurs are basically going to blow it up, and are looking to retool their roster so that they have more flexibility in 2012.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
I don't believe this rumour at all.

I can't believe that San Antonio would trade T.Parker and receive so little in return.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I can't believe that San Antonio would trade T.Parker and receive so little in return.

It is basically a salary dump (which is why Jefferson has to be included from SA, and Miller from Portland, who has a team option on his contract).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Two reasons why I believe it.

1. If the Spurs get rid of both Parker and Jefferson's salary, it puts them in a much better position going forward to reload under the new CBA rules.  

2. I still don't get it, but everyone is in love with Batum.  Maybe they are just falling in love with the fact that Portland refuses to trade him, but whenever he comes up in trade discussions, he seems to be valued like a superstar.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It is basically a salary dump (which is why Jefferson has to be included from SA, and Miller from Portland, who has a team option on his contract).
Exactly, why would the Spurs trade Tony Parker in a salary dump?

Surely he has more value than that!

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Spurs must really like batum to have considered getting even older with miller. Already an ancient ballclub.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
San Antonio isn't going to rebuild while Tim Duncan is still on the team. They won't do that to him. They are going to try to maximize his remaining few years. When Duncan goes, rebuilding will be back on the table ... but not until then.

A salary dump makes no sense for the San Antonio Spurs.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
San Antonio isn't going to rebuild while Tim Duncan is still on the team. They won't do that to him. They are going to try to maximize his remaining few years. When Duncan goes, rebuilding will be back on the table ... but not until then.

Its not a straight salary dump though.  If they are high on Batum, it makes some sense.  I think they decided a couple years ago that they loved Hill as much as Parker, and if they think Batum is an upgrade over Jefferson, then it makes sense. 

They also would have to be getting something more back to make the salaries back, and the guy who makes the most sense is Marcus Camby, who would also help them win now. 

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Spurs must really like batum to have considered getting even older with miller. Already an ancient ballclub.

miller has a team option.  he'd just be cut.  the trade would save the Spurs something like $20M this year alone.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
2. I still don't get it, but everyone is in love with Batum.  Maybe they are just falling in love with the fact that Portland refuses to trade him, but whenever he comes up in trade discussions, he seems to be valued like a superstar.
Portland rates Nic Batum like a superstar. Nobody else does. That is why he hasn't been traded in the past.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

it does if the Spurs:
(a) are short on money (the proposed trade, coupled with not picking up Miller's option, would save the Spurs $20M this upcoming season alone);
(b) they figure they can't win a championship with OKC looking better, Memphis looking better, Lakers being the Lakers (and that's just the West);
(c) they feel they won't drop off *that much* by making the proposed trade, so their fan base won't get too ticked off.

Also, Duncan has only one year left on his contract.  If the plan is to rebuild next summer (i.e. after Timmy retires?) then why not start a season early, given (a) - (c)?)

Now, all that said, I don't necessarily like the trade, I'm just trying to think through reasons why it might not be as outlandish as people think.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Its not a straight salary dump though.  If they are high on Batum, it makes some sense.  I think they decided a couple years ago that they loved Hill as much as Parker, and if they think Batum is an upgrade over Jefferson, then it makes sense. 

They also would have to be getting something more back to make the salaries back, and the guy who makes the most sense is Marcus Camby, who would also help them win now. 
Yeah, the article I read said they had to have more dollars involved.

Batum seems to have all the tools, has gotten better each year, and is still just 22.  I think there is plenty of reason to like Batum. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:10 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
San Antonio want to sign Tim Duncan to an extension this summer.

They want him to do what Paul Pierce did last summer. Opt out of his $20 million deal and re-sign at a lower rate for more guaranteed years on his deal. Likely a three to four year contract worth $10 million or so a year.

They are not rebuilding.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:51 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
If Cleveland was smart they'd draft Williams #1 and move the #4 to San Antonio for Parker