Author Topic: Getting the #1 Pick  (Read 2175 times)

Getting the #1 Pick
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Boston sends Rondo, J. Green and the 2012 LAC Pick

Cleveland sends B. Davis, Sessions, Varejao and the #1 Pick

The teams will figure out a wink-wink expiring trade and buyout to make the money work.

-----------------------------------

Boston is a better team after this trade, period. Davis-Allen-Pierce-Garnett-Varejao with Sessions-West-Williams-O'Neal is beastly.

Williams is going to be a STUD, Draft Express is right on.
Best Case: Michael Beasley with perfect intangibles
Worst Case: More Athletic Antawn Jamison

-----------------------------------

Cleveland is on the long road to rebuilding, with big contracts and no all stars. This trade fixes both problems.

The Cavs go into next off season with Rondo, Eyenga, Green, Hickson, Kanter and $30+ million in cap space. Those five might be an 8 seed in the East. Spend that $30 million wisely and draft well with your two 2012 lottery picks... Contenders?
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Getting the #1 Pick
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
When your best case is Michael Beasley, that's a problem.

I also don't see Cleveland moving Varajeo and the number one pick for a non lottery pick, Rondo, and Jeff Green.

When you rebuild you don't want to grab two 25 year old's who need contracts (or have gotten one in Rondo's case) and send away higher draft picks for lower ones.

As for the roster you outline being contenders, only if a meteorite takes out the entire all-star game next year. Only Rondo is an all-star level player as you outline.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:10:51 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I dont think Id do this if I was either team, personally.

Cleveland could grab Tony Parker for a lesser price...and I don't want BAron Davis, although Anderson V would be a great guy to have in green

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
When your best case is Michael Beasley, that's a problem.

I also don't see Cleveland moving Varajeo and the number one pick for a non lottery pick, Rondo, and Jeff Green.

When you rebuild you don't want to grab two 25 year old's who need contracts and send away higher draft picks for lower ones.

As for the roster you outline being contenders, only if a meteorite takes out the entire all-star game next year. Only Rondo is an all-star level player as you outline.

If you gave me Michael Beasley with Perfect Intangibles, I would be elated. That kid can do anything on the basketball court, he is just a knucklehead. If his head was screwed on straight, he would be a perenial all star.

Rondo-Eyenga-Green-Hickson-Kanter is not a contender. Rondo-Michael Gilchrist-Harrison Barnes-Hickson-Lopez with Eyenga-Green-Kanter off the bench might be.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:21:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Michael Beasley is a bust not only due to his intangibles, but due to his complete lack of development as a basketball player. He hasn't progressed at playing a team game, working within an offense (passing, whats that!), shot selection, and at a lot of other skills that you need in the NBA.

Rondo-Eyenga-Green-Hickson-Kanter is not a contender. Rondo-Michael Gilchrist-Harrison Barnes-Hickson-Lopez with Eyenga-Green-Kanter off the bench might be.
Sure if Harrison Barnes turns out to be an all-nba talent in his rookie year.

You need more quiet a few high level players around a guy like Rondo to be a contender. (all-star not all-nba/MVP level player)

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Best case Michael Beasley? Run away! Far far away.

Are you seriously proposing this as a fair deal? One) why would we ever do this? How is a number one pick going to help our chances of winning a title this year? Especially with Baron Davis (really, Baron Davis?) as our point guard... come on man. On top of that this brings in 67 million dollars in salary over the next three years to each of these guys. With the average per year being around 27 million. That totally kills our chances at free agency in 2012. Which also, for that matter, makes this trade financially impossible. thank goodness because its a Terrible trade for us.

Also, a terrible trade for the Cavs. They have a chance to rebuild with the number 1 and 4 picks, get younger, and try and build for the future.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Michael Beasley is a bust not only due to his intangibles, but due to his complete lack of development as a basketball player. He hasn't progressed at playing a team game, working within an offense (passing, whats that!), shot selection, and at a lot of other skills that you need in the NBA.

You need more quiet a few high level players around a guy like Rondo to be a contender. (all-star not all-nba/MVP level player)

Haha. One of the best C's games this year was against the T Wolves towards the end of the season. at one point in either the third or fourth quarter. Beasley literally took like 13 shots in a row and made like 2 of them. My buddy were like, "What is that dude thinking?!" It was pretty hilarious to watch. Glad he isn't on my squad.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:29:07 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I don't think this trade is as terrible as you guys are making it out to be, but the "best case:  Beasely w/ intangibles" is going to make everyone on here run away from it.  I wouldn't do the trade, but its not terrible.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Haha. One of the best C's games this year was against the T Wolves towards the end of the season. at one point in either the third or fourth quarter. Beasley literally took like 13 shots in a row and made like 2 of them. My buddy were like, "What is that dude thinking?!" It was pretty hilarious to watch. Glad he isn't on my squad.

In Simmons' latest article he talked specifically about this.  Apparently Beasley is one of the least effiecient offensive players yet had one of the highest usage rates (times he shot, etc) on offense in the league.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Best Case: Michael Beasley with perfect intangibles
Worst Case: More Athletic Antawn Jamison

Draftexpress has an interesting comparison here...  I think their worst case might be better than their best case!  Haha!  At the least, the two are not separated by much.

I think best case:  Rashard Lewis (the dude was a good baller in his prime when you don't consider his contract) or Shawn Marion with a better jumpshot
I think worst case:  Antawn Jamison
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think this trade is as terrible as you guys are making it out to be, but the "best case:  Beasely w/ intangibles" is going to make everyone on here run away from it.  I wouldn't do the trade, but its not terrible.
Well I mainly approach it from the Cavs perspective, I think its a pretty awful trade for them. Rondo would be very unhappy and likely be wanting out. That immediately tanks the value of the trade.

The Cavs need to just stay bad for several years and keep adding lottery talent. Trading away that talent for older more proven players is premature.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Boston cleans the vomit off the table for having such a crazy thought.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

How is this not terrible? Baron Davis (and I've always loved the guy when he put in effort and has always defended his game) is going to be 33 at seasons end. He averaged 13 and 7 on the worst team in the league last year while shooting 41% from the field and just 33% from three. When his contract is up in 2012-2013, hes going to be make 15 million dollars at age 34. Would I rather have an injury prone, play when he wants to, 34 year old averaging 13 and 7 while making 15 mil run the point, or would I rather have a young 24 year old champion averaging 12 assists per game and making all defensive teams at 9 mil as my point guard... hmm tough choice...

Sessions Varejo and Davis take up way too much cap space and totally kill our 2012 year window plan. To give up a top 3 PG in the league with a championship under his belt and annual all defensive nominations just to take a chance at the number one pick in a weak draft... That classifies as terrible in my book.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:44:35 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum

How is this not terrible? Baron Davis (and I've always loved the guy when he put in effort and has always defended his game) is going to be 33 at seasons end. He averaged 13 and 7 on the worst team in the league last year while shooting 41% from the field and just 33% from three. When his contract is up in 2012-2013, hes going to be make 15 million dollars at age 34. Would I rather have an injury prone, play when he wants to, 34 year old averaging 13 and 7 while making 15 mil run the point, or would I rather have a young 24 year old champion averaging 12 assists per game and making all defensive teams at 9 mil as my point guard... hmm tough choice...

Sessions Varejo and Davis take up way too much cap space and totally kill our 2012 year window plan. To give up a top 3 PG in the league with a championship under his belt and annual all defensive nominations just to take a chance at the number one pick in a weak draft... That classifies as terrible in my book.

Lets not talk numbers. Rondo scored 10 points per game last season. Davis is a career 17 and 7 guy and has never played with anybody. The numbers do not tell the story of either player.

If this trade happenned, Boston would arguably get the best player (Davis), the best defender (Varejao) and the player with the most upside (Williams).

To argue against it as a Boston fan is ridiculous.

------------------------

Do you know what Davis would do playing with Allen, Pierce and Garnett? He is a very good defender, a solid distributor and is capable of carrying an offense on his own. He is the player we need Rondo to become.

The Celtics do not have a starting center next season.
The Celtics do not have a backup point guard next season.
The Celtics do not have any young players with the potential to turn into a #1 scoring option.

------------------------

And you do not want this trade because it limits our cap space in 2012? What cap space?

Pierce and Rondo take up $28 million.
Green and whatever MLE center take up $13 million.
Bradley and the #25 this year take up $3 million.
Cap holds for 6 other roster spots take up $4 million.

Leaves us with $10 million to spend on whoever wants to play with Rondo and Old Pierce ASSUMING the cap is not lowered...