Author Topic: Houston's #14 pick  (Read 5143 times)

Houston's #14 pick
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:44:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is there any reason for me to hope that they're willing to sell this pick?  I've seen some rumors indicating that Houston is a team willing to bail on the first round this year.  If so, what would it take to get it?  Maybe a willingness to eat Terrance Williams' salary with our trade exception from Marquis Daniels and a little extra cash from Wyc?  Or is that me just being hopeful?

I've recently fallen back in love with Jimmer, and if he falls to #14, I'd love to get that pick (and thus Jimmer,) flawed defense and all.

Re: Houston's #14 pick
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
id love to have terrance williams for quis's contract.

but my old man always said he only had 3 rules. never play cards with a man named after a city, never trust a woman with another man's name tattooed on her, and never trust a trade involving darryl morey.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:43:39 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I doubt we actually trade up this far in the draft but if  we do, I would love for Ainge to try and get Tristan Thompson if he happens to slide
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:36:43 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
If we jump up that far, I want Biyombo. I can't dislike a guy who's got a crazy wingspan, has crazy athleticism, has height and wants to stuff everyone.

Or jump up a little to number 20 and snatch Faried away from Portland. Perfect Davis replacement.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
In terms of picks earlier in the draft that might be available, I've read that the Bucks (picking at no. 10) and the Bobcats (picking at no. 9 and no. 19) might be selling their picks:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6694424
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6693659
I don't think we have the assets to acquire any of these picks, but at least we know these teams are selling.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
In terms of picks earlier in the draft that might be available, I've read that the Bucks (picking at no. 10) and the Bobcats (picking at no. 9 and no. 19) might be selling their picks:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6694424
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6693659
I don't think we have the assets to acquire any of these picks, but at least we know these teams are selling.

It's hard to say without knowing how much GM's are valuing their picks in this year's draft. the rights to number 19 could be had easily for cash and making taking back a contract or adding a second rounder now or later.

For example, we got Rondo (picked 21st) for what? Taking Brian Grant's contract and maybe we added a first, I think? If we can get 19 this year for our second this year, a future second and cash, I would be all over that.

*Forgot we had the 25th to trade lol. I'd also happily include that if that's what it took to move up to 19.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I doubt Jimmer will be available at 14 b/c the Jazz will definitely take him before that.  And I would hate to "trade up" just to get a player I doubt will see many minutes and doesn't play good defense.

Morrey as a whole has been overrated.  Its nice that he gets some value here and there, but you can only be average for so long.  Stats can't tell you everything about a player, and your job as GM is also to SELL the idea of playing for the Rockets.  He's not a salesman (like Riley, etc).  Houston could be a good place to go for many free agents, but it doesn't seem like Morrey has created buzz there.

If the Celtics trade up, I hope it is ONLY for a big man that can play some minutes, be a workhorse on defense, and can finish around the rim. 

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:30:07 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Morrey as a whole has been overrated.  Its nice that he gets some value here and there, but you can only be average for so long.  Stats can't tell you everything about a player, and your job as GM is also to SELL the idea of playing for the Rockets.  He's not a salesman (like Riley, etc).  Houston could be a good place to go for many free agents, but it doesn't seem like Morrey has created buzz there.
Agreed -- Morey is a question mark at this point in time.

He is a pretty good judge of talent and generally makes good moves ... but he hasn't shown himself capable of building a Championship team.

Until he does, or at least puts his team back in contention for the title, he shouldn't be considered anything special ... because, frankly, he hasn't done anything special.

All he has done is build a .500 club, refused to rebuild and is attempting to navigate the most difficult path to an NBA Title -- building through trades instead of the draft + free agency.

Morey is still an unknown quantity.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Agreed -- Morey is a question mark at this point in time.

He is a pretty good judge of talent and generally makes good moves ... but he hasn't shown himself capable of building a Championship team.

Until he does, or at least puts his team back in contention for the title, he shouldn't be considered anything special ... because, frankly, he hasn't done anything special.

All he has done is build a .500 club, refused to rebuild and is attempting to navigate the most difficult path to an NBA Title -- building through trades instead of the draft + free agency.

Morey is still an unknown quantity.

Well, one thing we do know about him is that he is a big believer in the "accumulate assets" school.

I'd expect him to want a future pick in return. Cash/cap room is not a huge concern - the Rockets are in fine shape once Yao comes off the books.

More generally, I think that fewer teams will be willing to sell picks than you might expect. There is too much uncertainty about specifics (like whether teams will face a luxury tax) to make a cash-saving deal right now. Why not wait until we get a new CBA and make a more informed decision?

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Phoenix is always teh team looking to sell their pick and they are at 13...we could potentially go grab Marcus Morris

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Morey seems to like this draft more than anyone else, saying that there's a lot more first round talent than usual. I'll see if I can find the tweet.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Morey seems to like this draft more than anyone else, saying that there's a lot more first round talent than usual. I'll see if I can find the tweet.
Yeah, I think he's right. There seems to be a good amount of talent outside of the lottery.

It's the remainder of the lottery, after the top two picks, that is an issue.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Yeah, I think he's right. There seems to be a good amount of talent outside of the lottery.

Here's the exact tweet

dmorey Daryl Morey
Our rankings have 22 1st round quality players in the draft. Normal range is 15-19.

It could be propaganda, but I think he's said this on a few occasions.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Here's the exact tweet

dmorey Daryl Morey
Our rankings have 22 1st round quality players in the draft. Normal range is 15-19.

It could be propaganda, but I think he's said this on a few occasions.

Not really a statement to incline him to this year's 25th pick in trade, and I think the C's are probably right not to swap future picks for this year.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315