Author Topic: Celtics not pursuing Josh Smith  (Read 6454 times)

Re: Celtics not pursuing Josh Smith
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
who knows if they are or not. I don't believe an unnamed league source. Plus A Sherrod has always seemed like a very bad reporter to me and his predictions are usually wrong.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I started getting my hopes up, i'm sad now.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think Chris Mannix summed it up quite nicely:

“This is coming straight out of Atlanta, and straight out of Josh Smith’s camp,” Mannix said. “Listen, guys, Josh has told everybody — family members, friends, anyone that really would listen — that he wants to get out of Atlanta. It’s been seven long years down there, seven tumultuous years where he’s been heavily criticized for his inconsistent play, his perplexing affection for a jump shot. He wants out.”

Based on Smith’s record, Mannix did not offer a great deal of optimism about the player.

“Right now I think this is only a deal that Atlanta’s exploring, that Josh Smith is heavily interested in. I’m not sure what the level of interest is on Boston’s side right now,” Mannix said. “And if you’re the Celtics, be very careful with taking Josh Smith. He is incredibly inconsistent. There’s a reason Atlanta hasn’t gotten out of the second round for the last few years.

“Josh has incredible talents. He’s a high-flier, he’s a great rebounder, when he attacks the rim, he’s one of the better power forwards in the entire league. The problem is, he only does that about 60 percent of the time. He’s a massive head case. There’s a reason Atlanta is willing to part with him. So, I would be real careful about any kind of deal — believing any kind of deal, and being willing to talk about and accept any kind of deal for Josh Smith.”

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/06/22/chris-mannix-on-dc-rajon-rondo-has-been-on-the-table-in-the-past-year/
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

“This is coming straight out of Atlanta, and straight out of Josh Smith’s camp,” Mannix said. “Listen, guys, Josh has told everybody — family members, friends, anyone that really would listen — that he wants to get out of Atlanta. It’s been seven long years down there, seven tumultuous years where he’s been heavily criticized for his inconsistent play, his perplexing affection for a jump shot. He wants out.”

Based on Smith’s record, Mannix did not offer a great deal of optimism about the player.

“Right now I think this is only a deal that Atlanta’s exploring, that Josh Smith is heavily interested in. I’m not sure what the level of interest is on Boston’s side right now,” Mannix said. “And if you’re the Celtics, be very careful with taking Josh Smith. He is incredibly inconsistent. There’s a reason Atlanta hasn’t gotten out of the second round for the last few years.

“Josh has incredible talents. He’s a high-flier, he’s a great rebounder, when he attacks the rim, he’s one of the better power forwards in the entire league. The problem is, he only does that about 60 percent of the time. He’s a massive head case. There’s a reason Atlanta is willing to part with him. So, I would be real careful about any kind of deal — believing any kind of deal, and being willing to talk about and accept any kind of deal for Josh Smith.”

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/06/22/chris-mannix-on-dc-rajon-rondo-has-been-on-the-table-in-the-past-year/
is this mannix guy highly regarded media guy ? if he is would this decrease the asking price for josh smith ? and why is he only mentioning Boston ? this certainly means josh is asking to be traded only to Boston, maybe if he keeps doing that we only give up green,bradley and or baby or a pick, and not ray or KG, I would never give up KG unless they gave us Horford back, give us Horford.Ray I would consider moving but maybe josh will pursue that he wants to come to Boston, it looks like the marbury siuation,though that was slightly dfferent but still I would like to have him on Celtics this year.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

"There’s a reason Atlanta hasn’t gotten out of the second round for the last few years." - that particular line bothers me. I'm not a huge Smith fan persay, but he's not the reason Atlanta hasn't made it past the 2nd round. The Hawks are a team with a lot flaws; Joe Johnson isn't the tier 1 superstar they think he is or pay him to be, Bibby was declining quickly and while Hinrich can provide a defensive upgrade he seems prone to injury, Marvin Williams an okay player - sometimes, Horford is very talented but he's a PF stuck playing C. Although Smith's inconsistencies certainly doesn't help matters, he's not the reason Atlanta hasn't gotten far in the playoffs.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

"There’s a reason Atlanta hasn’t gotten out of the second round for the last few years." - that particular line bothers me. I'm not a huge Smith fan persay, but he's not the reason Atlanta hasn't made it past the 2nd round. The Hawks are a team with a lot flaws; Joe Johnson isn't the tier 1 superstar they think he is or pay him to be, Bibby was declining quickly and while Hinrich can provide a defensive upgrade he seems prone to injury, Marvin Williams an okay player - sometimes, Horford is very talented but he's a PF stuck playing C. Although Smith's inconsistencies certainly doesn't help matters, he's not the reason Atlanta hasn't gotten far in the playoffs.

I'd agree with you there. Laying it all at Smith's feet is a bit unfair.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Josh Smith's inconsistent committment to team ball is a flaw that is shared by many of his team mates. But the drop off of his game when he becomes lazy or selfish is probably the largest among all of those players.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
put a talented guy on a team of pros like we have an I'd be willing to bet there would be a change for the better
von wafer seems to have benefited from ray allen workshop "how to be a pro 101" and playing with kg as a big you are either going to give it your all or be sent away/pummelled

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »

Offline throwedoff

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Like I said in a thread yesterday if you guys hate Big Baby's shot selection you'll definently hate Osh Smith his jumper is even worse he doesn't even deserve the J in his name it's a reason why he got booed everytime he took a jump shot at home he NEVER hit em but he took em anyway this guy is overrated i cant believe some of you said u would trade Ray or KG for inconsistent OSH Smith

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

“And if you’re the Celtics, be very careful with taking Josh Smith. He is incredibly inconsistent. There’s a reason Atlanta hasn’t gotten out of the second round for the last few years.

Yea, the reason they haven't gotten out of the second round for the last few years is because their best player is either Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, or Al Horford. I don't think it comes down to Josh Smith's inconsistency...comes down to the fact that the team is simply not good enough and wasn't coached well enough. Atlanta hasn't had that ideal number 1 guy. And the Celtics do have to be cautious because clearly Rondo or Josh isn't that number one guy either. But a team with Rondo and Josh has a much better chance of attracting a big name in the short to medium term than what we currently have.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46

is this mannix guy highly regarded media guy ? if he is would this decrease the asking price for josh smith ? and why is he only mentioning Boston ? this certainly means josh is asking to be traded only to Boston, maybe if he keeps doing that we only give up green,bradley and or baby or a pick, and not ray or KG, I would never give up KG unless they gave us Horford back, give us Horford.Ray I would consider moving but maybe josh will pursue that he wants to come to Boston, it looks like the marbury siuation,though that was slightly dfferent but still I would like to have him on Celtics this year.

Mannix is a pretty reputable source. I def. feel like the Hawks not advancing in the playoffs in recent history has alot more to do with factors other than Josh Smith. JSmith would benefit from being apart of this Celtics locker room. KG could hand off the franchise to Smith after a year of training under his wing. With Smith and Rondo, the C's automatically become big contenders for acquiring Dwight Howard if he hits free agency next summer. All Dwight needs is his childhood boy, Jsmith whispering in his ear.. telling him to come to Boston next summer so they can win championships together.. all Dwight has to do is make Orlando feel like he will resign after the season. Once he passes the trade deadline he can stop pretending to be happy in Orlando and turn on management for not making moves to better the team at the deadline.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No one ever said they were pursuing Smith. Smith named Boston as a team he would want to go to if he asked for a trade. That's pretty much it.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
and why is he only mentioning Boston ? this certainly means josh is asking to be traded only to Boston

I think he only mentioned Boston because he was on a Boston radio station, and they asked him about Smith to Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
and why is he only mentioning Boston ? this certainly means josh is asking to be traded only to Boston

I think he only mentioned Boston because he was on a Boston radio station, and they asked him about Smith to Boston.
[/quote

I think that is the only reason he ever talks about the C's.  He has connections in the NBA, but he has never proven to have anything with the C's...but he used to work from Boston (did he grow up here?) so is a go-to NBA guy for Boston media...but I just don't think he knows much more than we do about this, he just speculates.