Author Topic: Annual Nash for Rondo Trade Thread (idea, not rumor)  (Read 1598 times)

Annual Nash for Rondo Trade Thread (idea, not rumor)
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:52:05 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
It's that time a year again!

Kidding aside, I'm generally against this trade offer (which does seem to come up pretty frequently), but I do think it kinda makes sense this time:

Boston Sends: Rajon Rondo, #25 pick
Phoenix Sends: Steve Nash, Jared Dudley, #13 pick

Gives this big three era one last stand, and allows us enough cap space to afford 2 max free agents next summer. Finally, allows us to move up to add another big.

Nash /
Allen / Dudley
Pierce /
Garnett / Biyombo!
JO /

Re: Annual Nash for Rondo Trade Thread (idea, not rumor)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:58:13 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I left Delonte and Jeff Green off the rotation list because if you're bringing in Nash you don't want to tie up any more additional salary to effect our cap space

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How does trading our younger, more fit for the team, better contracted, championship point guard "kinda make sense" for a 37 year old tank empty worse contract PG who hasnt won a championship...

I love Steve Nash, think hes one of the best all time PG's. But come on now. i know its a funny idea but to think it, "kinda makes sense"? No way.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
How does trading our younger, more fit for the team, better contracted, championship point guard "kinda make sense" for a 37 year old tank empty worse contract PG who hasnt won a championship...

I love Steve Nash, think hes one of the best all time PG's. But come on now. i know its a funny idea but to think it, "kinda makes sense"? No way.

I don't see why it's so easy to dismiss. Nash spreads the court and is a much greater offensive threat. On top of that, you're gaining a good defensive wing who can hit a three, and move up to hopefully land a serviceable big guy.

His contract extends for one more year, meaning you'd enter the summer with Pierce, Dudley, and a young big to try to attract two max free agents.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd rather have Rondo going forward than the extra cap space.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:18 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
And with each passing season, the deal makes less and less sense

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't see why it's so easy to dismiss. Nash spreads the court and is a much greater offensive threat. On top of that, you're gaining a good defensive wing who can hit a three, and move up to hopefully land a serviceable big guy.

His contract extends for one more year, meaning you'd enter the summer with Pierce, Dudley, and a young big to try to attract two max free agents.

Nash, Allen and PP isn't a very athletic grouping. Our defense would take a big hit. The offensive improvement would likely be less than people would hope for, and Nash isn't a great rebounder.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
If Dudley comes too, it would be a deal worth considering.

Nash is definitely a better point guard than Rondo, offensively. Defensively it's a huge hit - and you have to wonder whether playing in this system would benefit him in that way.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don't see why we should give up our pick as well. They are getting a proven All-Star who hasn't hit his prime yet for a 37-year-old and a backup?

Even if it was Nash, Dudley and their pick for Rondo, I still don't know if I can do it. Sure it makes our chances better next year somewhat, but it doesn't address our size issue and we are totally screwed in 2-3 years.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'd only consider such a deal if we were getting back a top 10 pick (meaning it would be some kind of multi-team deal).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Only way I do Rondo for Nash is if Gortat is coming with him, and even then I probably don't do it.  I like Dudley a lot (ever since he picked Kobe clean after Kobe made a grand show of hot-dogging with the dribble), but he's not enough to replace 4+ years of Rondo. 

Rondo's shown too much for me to be comfortable with almost any trade that has him departing.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri