Author Topic: Rumor: Ainge has discussed trading Rondo  (Read 13074 times)

Re: Rumor: Ainge has discussed trading Rondo
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
A follow up thought:
rondo being a celtic is going to make free agents think about coming to boston, he'll get them easy shots

Eh, I think this is a really overplayed idea.  Sure, playing with Rondo is probably a nice prospect for many players, but I really doubt that it outweighs the prospect of playing alongside a true superstar (e.g. Deron Williams, Chris Paul), being in a really nice location (e.g. Los Angeles, Chicago), and above all winning.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
A follow up thought:
rondo being a celtic is going to make free agents think about coming to boston, he'll get them easy shots

Eh, I think this is a really overplayed idea.  Sure, playing with Rondo is probably a nice prospect for many players, but I really doubt that it outweighs the prospect of playing alongside a true superstar (e.g. Deron Williams, Chris Paul), being in a really nice location (e.g. Los Angeles, Chicago), and above all winning.
no I'd put him in same boat with guys you mentioned williams & paul (and nash) those are 3 pgs who are going to make their teammates look better
can't say the same for shoot first guards
how good did a 50 year old shaq look getting feeds from rondo?

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
As I recall, there were rumors with substance that Ainge offered Rondo to Memphis ahead of the 2009 draft for the 2nd pick + in order to draft Tyreke Evans.

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
As I recall, there were rumors with substance that Ainge offered Rondo to Memphis ahead of the 2009 draft for the 2nd pick + in order to draft Tyreke Evans.

If memory serves me, there were also rumors that him and Allen were offered to Detroit for Prince, Rip, and Stuckey.

Absolutely hilarious to read these comments just 2 short years later. I wonder how they feel now...

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/2009/06/boston_celtics_offer_rondo_all.html

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Would anyone do a Rondo for Parker and Bonner or Splitter deal? I wonder if that is something that Danny would explore, if for nothing else, to gauge Rondo's value on the open market.
I wouldn't do it. I think Rondo has proven over the last two years to be more considerably more valuable than Tony Parker is.

I don't see a makeweight like Tiago Splitter evening that difference out. It would need to be someone with (low level) star potential.

I'd rather keep the superior individual talent (Rondo).

I don't know if SA would do this, but for conversation purposes, what about if it was Dujuan Blair instead?  He could be a valuable addition to our frontcourt depth. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I thought that was Perk. I recall Rondo and Ray for Amare and Barbosa, possibly Rondo and Ray to Memphis for Gay and someone else.

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
unless a superstar comes Celtics way, trading Rondo is a dumb idea. hopefully its just a rumor with no merit.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Ship him out.  One of the most overrated PGs around. Package him and Baby and upgrade the roster.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
so, what if miami came calling, offering d-wade for rondo.  rondo would push that team over the top and you might lose the "who takes the last shot" attitude down there.  think danny listens?

btw, obviously this isn't going to happen, but hey, this is all speculation anyway, right?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 08:04:37 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I like that Danny considers all options, but I don't see many possible trade scenarios out there involving Rondo that make this team better in the long run.

No thanks on Westbrook or Tony Parker btw.