Author Topic: Rumor: Ainge has discussed trading Rondo  (Read 13072 times)

Re: Rumor: Ainge has discussed trading Rondo
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Isnt the job of the GM to explore every players trade value? I dont really see this as a "rumor" just Ainge doing his job.
Well I didn't want to post it as a fact since Mannix didn't present it as such.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Shopping Rondo around and actually trading him are two different things.

I have no problems with the GM gauging interest on a player like Rondo.  Now if he actually traded, that's a whole other can of worms...

People shouldn't be shocked that a GM would gauge interest on a player from around the league.  Its part of a GM's job and due diligence.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
great article, thanks for posting, prof, tp.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Mannix also says this:

"...Doc didn't sign on for five years to be part of a team that just decomposes as it goes back to the Gerald Green era..."

Congratulations Gerald Green.

Your name, along with Rick Pitino's, is now a reference point for "the most godawful teams in Boston Celtics history."

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I always love/hate the draft/trade deadline, I always want something big to happen but want to give nothing up to get a big time player. We'll see how everything works out. What I want is the Celtics to move up and get a good big man. Biaybo is my dream. We shall see what plays out but always interesting.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Mannix also says this:

"...Doc didn't sign on for five years to be part of a team that just decomposes as it goes back to the Gerald Green era..."

Congratulations Gerald Green.

Your name, along with Rick Pitino's, is now a reference point for "the most godawful teams in Boston Celtics history."

(ML Carr breathes a sigh of relief)

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
On Rondo from Scott Souza's Twitter:

Danny Ainge: Rajon Rondo not 100 percent yet. About four weeks from playing basketball. In Waltham doing conditioning.

That's too bad. Was hoping he'd be able to spend all summer working on his jumper.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Listen, if you want to build anything worth building in life, YOU HAVE TO COMMIT TO SOMETHING.  Danny needs to either commit to the idea that Rondo is this team's future, or ship him out.  Danny doesn't seem to understand this.  You don't build a team by building an atmosphere of constant fear, uncertainty, and disloyalty.  The attutude of "I'll move anyone anytime" is a fundamentally disloyal attitude.  I find it fascinating that many fans are INCREDIBLY onesided about loyalty.  Many get angry at players who show a hint of disloyalty, while praising the gm for disloyalty to the players!

If Danny doesn't see Rondo as the future, he should trade Rondo while Rondo's value is high.  Otherwise, take Rondo off the table, Danny, and keep him off.

I couldn't agree more!!! Thank you.  My whole perception on this changed during the Perkins trade, especially when hearing about Perkins reaction.  That guy was a Celtics through and through and he was shipped out with no warning.  I can't blame any player for leaving his team in free agency anymore.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
On Rondo from Scott Souza's Twitter:

Danny Ainge: Rajon Rondo not 100 percent yet. About four weeks from playing basketball. In Waltham doing conditioning.

That's too bad. Was hoping he'd be able to spend all summer working on his jumper.

When the playoffs ended Doc said it was a 6-8 week injury. I'm actually ok with him taking a break as he didn't have much of an offseason last year, but he might get an extended break depending on the CBA talks.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
  When the playoffs ended Doc said it was a 6-8 week injury. I'm actually ok with him taking a break as he didn't have much of an offseason last year, but he might get an extended break depending on the CBA talks.

That's right - forgot about that.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I do expect Danny to make some kind of big move.  I expect it to be the kind of nonsense we've seen a lot from him recently.  He's so haunted by what happened to the Celtics in the late eighties and nineties, and seems to forget that two tragic deaths had a lot to do with it.

Even shopping Rondo around is a bad idea.  Folks say it's 'good business' to do this.  Listen, if you want to build anything worth building in life, YOU HAVE TO COMMIT TO SOMETHING.  Danny needs to either commit to the idea that Rondo is this team's future, or ship him out.  Danny doesn't seem to understand this.  You don't build a team by building an atmosphere of constant fear, uncertainty, and disloyalty.  The attutude of "I'll move anyone anytime" is a fundamentally disloyal attitude.  I find it fascinating that many fans are INCREDIBLY onesided about loyalty.  Many get angry at players who show a hint of disloyalty, while praising the gm for disloyalty to the players!

If Danny doesn't see Rondo as the future, he should trade Rondo while Rondo's value is high.  Otherwise, take Rondo off the table, Danny, and keep him off.

Granted the unexpected losses of Bias and Lewis contributed to the downfall in the 90's, but it's not like we have that type of young talent waiting in the wings now anyway.

Ainge can't commit one way or the other because his job is to give Doc the best team possible. If the best he can do for Rondo is fifty cents on the dollar, he can't move him. But if the Hornets want to give up Chris Paul for him, Ainge probably doesn't think twice. It's really hard to commit to something when their are so many unknown variables (such as players demands and the stupidity of other GM's).

Let Ainge do his job. Which is make calls about players he is interested in and find out the price, and take calls on all players to see what's being offered.

Rondo is not LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Rose, etc that will be great anywhere and with anyone. Nobody really knows just how good he will be without the Big Three. Ainge can't fall too in love the with 'Big Three plus Rondo' Rondo and get stuck with the 'Post Big Three' Rondo who is stuck making dumb fancy passes to teammates who can't finish or gambling all over defense for steals.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Let Ainge do his job. Which is make calls about players he is interested in and find out the price, and take calls on all players to see what's being offered.

Rondo is not LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Rose, etc that will be great anywhere and with anyone. Nobody really knows just how good he will be without the Big Three. Ainge can't fall too in love the with 'Big Three plus Rondo' Rondo and get stuck with the 'Post Big Three' Rondo who is stuck making dumb fancy passes to teammates who can't finish or gambling all over defense for steals.

Rondo does a lot of things exceptionally well. Run the offense, pass the ball, run the break, rebound, defend and the like. Those skills would undoubtedly benefit any nba team. I don't think that people's expectation that Rondo will be ineffective because Danny's going to surround him with unathletic players who can't shoot or finish and have bad hands will come to pass.

Agree that Danny should gauge the value of all of his players though.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It doesn't sound like these rumors are all that recent; Mannix talks about "the past" and "the past year".

That said, why wouldn't Danny look into trading Rondo?  He's the most valuable trading chip we have; it's good to at least know what his potential value is.

There are only a handful of guys I'd trade Rondo for, but if New Orleans would move Chris Paul, for instance, I'd do it.

What about a multi-team deal that would get the Celtics a year or two of Steve Nash and a top 10 lottery pick?

That seems more likely than a CP3 trade to me.

(not saying that I'd do it)
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Just seems as if it's Danny doing the nornal GM stuff, IMO.

I'd be absolutely shocked if anything actually happens over the next few days involving the Core Four.....

...but then again I was shocked, floored, flabbergasted, astounded, etc - back in Febuary, too.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Saw a report that Spurs are really unhappy with Tony Parker due to his comment about the Spurs window being closed to win a championship.

Would anyone do a Rondo for Parker and Bonner or Splitter deal? I wonder if that is something that Danny would explore, if for nothing else, to gauge Rondo's value on the open market.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I read that any trade of Parker probably would need to have Jefferson attached to get rid of contracts and that is definitely not something I would want the C's to even think about.

Just wondering what Rondo would be worth in comparison to someone like Parker who could be on the block.