Author Topic: Make Believe World: Ray just gets traded for Josh Smith. Who is our SG target?  (Read 3353 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I thought about this trade today and who our main target would be if it went through. The names Vince Carter and Michael Redd popped into my head almost instantly. Then I thought about which player would be a better fit and make more economical sense and it is Redd. He wouldn't require as much money or commitment, and we could probably wrap him up with the LLE if we promise him an opportunity to win the starting job (and not automatically move Pierce back down to the 2).

Redd>Carter in my book. What do you guys think? Crawford's another player that came to mind but he's also too expensive. Maybe I'm forgetting someone?

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Green Lantern?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I guess it all depends on where you slot Josh Smith into the lineup. It probably makes most sense to start him at SF and move PP to SG.  In any case, I'd say the biggest need remains the same as before your proposed trade: Center.

Celtics fan for life.

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
JR Smith?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I guess it all depends on where you slot Josh Smith into the lineup. It probably makes most sense to start him at SF and move PP to SG.  In any case, I'd say the biggest need remains the same as before your proposed trade: Center.

I agree. That's why I think leaving the MLE or at least a large portion of it to fill that hole might be a good idea. Although I have a feeling Ainge is going to go "backup by committee" there with Nenad gone. We'll probably fill the roster out with vet min players like Kwame and Curry... And I'm not very excited about it.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Another one: Jason Richardson

I haven't read anything about him resigning in Orlando.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I agree. That's why I think leaving the MLE or at least a large portion of it to fill that hole might be a good idea. Although I have a feeling Ainge is going to go "backup by committee" there with Nenad gone. We'll probably fill the roster out with vet min players like Kwame and Curry... And I'm not very excited about it.

Nenad could be back (if his overseas contract allows it), and there are other decent backup centers (I've coveted Jeff Foster in this role for years).

I still think the Cs best bet for the offseason remains: draft BPA, sign Green to QO, sign Foster to LLE and sign Landry to MLE.  Consider filling out the roster with West, Wafer, Murphy, let BBD walk.  Basically the same as last year, but with Foster instead of Nenad and Landry instead of BBD.  I'm fine with waiting until the trade deadline to make a play for an all star, if there aren't any good deals around (although I admit I am intrigued by the idea of Josh Smith).
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Another one: Jason Richardson

I haven't read anything about him resigning in Orlando.

That's a nice thought.
Would KG be able to play Center? It would be rough on his body.
If he could, the lineup of Rondo, Richardson, Pierce, Smith, Garnett would be pretty awesome.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
(1) Tayshaun Prince
(2) Shane Battier
(3) Arron Afflalo
(4) JR Smith
(5) Grant Hill

(6) Rodney Carney -- third best defender on this list
(7) Rasual Butler -- quality defensive two and best outside shooter of these three players
[8] Jamario Moon -- best possession creator amongst this lower half with his rebounding and steals + an above average defender with his size and length at the two spot.

Those three players to be used as part time starters playing 16-20 minutes. With the intention to give Boston legitimate size at the two spot to start games off. Help matchup better against bigger twos to begin games.

(9) Delonte West -- I think his lack of size is an issue as a starter. Prefer him as a backup combo guard and then give him additional minutes at the two alongside Rondo and friends.
(10) Mo Evans -- not a good enough defender (Carney, R.Butler, J.Moon all superior) or possession creator (J.Moon) to warrant a starting role but he can do a Keith Bogans like job if no better options are available.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:30:18 PM by Who »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Nenad could be back (if his overseas contract allows it), and there are other decent backup centers (I've coveted Jeff Foster in this role for years).

I still think the Cs best bet for the offseason remains: draft BPA, sign Green to QO, sign Foster to LLE and sign Landry to MLE.  Consider filling out the roster with West, Wafer, Murphy, let BBD walk.  Basically the same as last year, but with Foster instead of Nenad and Landry instead of BBD.  I'm fine with waiting until the trade deadline to make a play for an all star, if there aren't any good deals around (although I admit I am intrigued by the idea of Josh Smith).

If Josh Smith can't be had for Ray, I'd be pretty upset if Ainge used an MLE contract to sign someone beyond 2012. So I'd pass on Landry because it would require a multi year deal. But I love Foster too, he'd be a perfect fit on this squad as a hustle, energy, defensive big off the bench.

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
i'd swap jeff green for a 2 guard like Leandro Barbosa.

Rondo
Barbosa
Pierce             
Garnett
O'Neal         

With Delonte, Smith, Big Baby another big and maybe Wafer off the bench

Offline Raising 18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 26
Michael Redd would be perfect for the c's offense...

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
C - Garnett, Jermaine, K.Thomas (LLE), DJ Mbenga
PF - J.Smith, C.Wilcox, Pops Mensah-Bonsu
SF - Pierce, J.Green
SG - T.Prince (MLE), T.Honeycutt (#25), R.Carney
PG - Rondo, Delonte, A.Bradley

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Jsaad and Raising 18. TPs

Michael Redd would be ideal. IMO, he's a lefty Ray Allen. Stuck on a sorry team, okay defender, but excellent shooter. Put him on a team where he doesn't have to be the go to guy on every possession and he'd be great. He was a perfect compliment on the US Redeem Team.

I would spend the full Mid Level on him, similar to Sheed/JO type contract. Yes, he had a couple knee issues but the 2nd injury was due to coming back too soon. He played a handful of games at beginning of last season before reinjuring that knee.

Now maybe, just maybe, we could split the MLE between Redd and another free agent, such as a big man.
Can't stop, Rondo!

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

I definitely agree with this.  Josh Smith would have to start, and at SF, so once again the Center position would be paramount.  I actually like the idea of Pierce at SG.