Author Topic: Forget about Josh Smith.......for now.  (Read 4529 times)

Forget about Josh Smith.......for now.
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
It would be almost impossible for the C's to get Josh Smith before the new CBA because we would likely have to give up Ray or KG. Ray, maybe. But it would leave us with a big hole at the 2 guard. KG, no way. Every player in our core has said that they wouldn't be contenders without KG. His defense and veteran leadership is 50% of Boston's title aspirations. It would be a huge step back if we gave up KG, and Danny would regret this trade every day.

Re: Forget about Josh Smith.......for now.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Trasing for Josh Smith would put us out of the running to aign a big free agent in 2012 and is he somepne you want to build around? Wed become the hawks.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:16:55 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
So you want to keep KG for one more season rather than get a 25 year old to develop around?  Hmmm

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
So you want to keep KG for one more season rather than get a 25 year old to develop around?  Hmmm

The perfect example is Devin Harris for JKidd back in 08. Yes I would rather have our leader both on and off the court (no offense to Pierce) because yes, KG's stats aren't worth 21 million. But his leadership, emotion, defensive presence, and heart is worth way more than 21 million. As KG goes, the Celtics go.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think that keeping KG in a Josh Smith deal will not just help out the Celtics but more importantly help Smith. I think a year under KG's wing will help straighten him out. Plus Ray is definitely easier to replace. JR Smith is out there, Vincanity (just an idea). Not that they are better than Ray but I think we can still win with them.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
I think that keeping KG in a Josh Smith deal will not just help out the Celtics but more importantly help Smith. I think a year under KG's wing will help straighten him out. Plus Ray is definitely easier to replace. JR Smith is out there, Vincanity (just an idea). Not that they are better than Ray but I think we can still win with them.

Also, aren't JG and Smith basically the same player? big 3's that can play 4 in a small lineup. Yes Smith is a better shot blocker so would we consider S/T Jeff Green for Smith?

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

Also, aren't JG and Smith basically the same player? big 3's that can play 4 in a small lineup. Yes Smith is a better shot blocker so would we consider S/T Jeff Green for Smith?

Thats best case scenario IMO...But Rick Sund is a huge Ray Allen fan and I think he is going to want Ray in any deal

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
It would be almost impossible for the C's to get Josh Smith before the new CBA because we would likely have to give up Ray or KG. Ray, maybe. But it would leave us with a big hole at the 2 guard. KG, no way. Every player in our core has said that they wouldn't be contenders without KG. His defense and veteran leadership is 50% of Boston's title aspirations. It would be a huge step back if we gave up KG, and Danny would regret this trade every day.

I agree with your post, but couldn't this just have been another post in the general Josh Smith thread that already exists?  Why create a new thread?  People have already brought up the concept of waiting till mid season to make a deal for him over there.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
With Michael Redd out there... Ok. I know about his knee, but I will take that risk since he played last year and all he needs to do is shoot threes and perimeter Js off screens.

To get Smith straight up for a 36 year old 2 guard is a steal...

It just is, and it doesn't happen often where young all star caliber players going into their prime are had for guys who are old stars about to turn into role player.

In fact the last time I remember it happening was Ray Allen for Gary Payton.

I don't think we can get Smith for Ray Allen straight up; otherwise I think this is a done deal already. Why would the Hawks want Ray Allen that bad when they have two albatross contracts at the 2 and 3 already in Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams? I mean I guess Johnson could play the 3 and Williams come off the bench, but I think they could get more for Smith like Kaman or something.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
danny will not trade any of the big 4 to get smith.. he will most likely look for a 3rd team to provide a center in any deal. we got green davis and 1st round picks

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford

I agree with your post, but couldn't this just have been another post in the general Josh Smith thread that already exists?  Why create a new thread?  People have already brought up the concept of waiting till mid season to make a deal for him over there.

mostly because the other thread had 8 pages and no one would see this. I was hoping this would stop the Josh Smith thread because it's almost impossible to land him.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
What if you flipped Ray for Josh Smith and then tossed the MLE at JR Smith?

Not saying I'd do it.  Just a thought.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
What if you flipped Ray for Josh Smith and then tossed the MLE at JR Smith?

Not saying I'd do it.  Just a thought.

I'd be more comfortable signing JR first.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »

Offline buckeyefan55

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
If we can get him for something like JO, BBD, West and our 1st rounder next year that would just be fantastic haha

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Josh Smith is somebody we NEED for the future. 
Why should we keep the three old guys around , maybe PP, but let the rest go and get younger .........alot sooner.....the longer we keepthe old guys the longer the rebuilding is going to take to become a LEGIT contender once again.

I'd trade the whole lot of oldies and RR off for CP3 and Smith and a nice young center.