Author Topic: Time for Wyc to get out the wallet  (Read 2848 times)

Time for Wyc to get out the wallet
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
... and I'm talking about relatively small potatoes.

I'd love to see Wyc pay up a couple million to move from 25 to 20 to get Kenneth Faried. I think this guy has a Perk-like attitude and intensity. I think this guy will be a rotation player in the league for 10yrs, with the potential to turn into a Ben Wallace-ish defender and rebounder. Their measurements are almost exactly the same. Faried is taller, Wallace a bit longer. Faried surprised by having one of the highest standing reaches at the combine (tied for 3rd or 4th).

Then buy a late 1st rounder to take Nikola Mirotic and stash him in Europe. Doesn't cost us anything other than the cash paid and he's got top 10 talent and all we have to spend is a bit of money and time waiting.

Re: Time for Wyc to get out the wallet
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:01:29 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
He is EXACTLY what this team needs; but he apparently has a commitment from Portland that he won't fall past them at 21

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Faried's a guy that I wouldn't mind at all.  Kid's got a heckuva motor and a nose for the ball.  I came away pretty impressed from what I saw out of him in the NCAAs.

It'd be nice to have someone with a little more skill on the offensive end but Faried's a guy that would certainly help us in the paint as a rotational guy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
He is EXACTLY what this team needs; but he apparently has a commitment from Portland that he won't fall past them at 21

Err, that's why I say let's get to #20?

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I interpreted Wyc's comments as him willing to commit BIG POTATOES.  A little bit tweaking around the edges, marginal free agents, rookies, etc. will not get it done with this veteran group.  2011-2012 is likely the last season for this group.  Give it one more shot, a GOOD shot, and see where it goes.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, first, I don't think "buying" a pick is as easy as people think.  It is rare that picks really do go up for sale like that, and when they do, I have a feeling there are a lot of politics involved to decide who gets it.

I also don't think Faried is going to be available anywhere close to 20.  I think he is going to be going close to the lottery.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1034
Wyc went to his wallet years ago and has continued to go into it since.

He is a good owner.

If Ainge came to him and said I need $2M to move up to #20 to get Perk-lite, I doubt Wyc declines.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Well, first, I don't think "buying" a pick is as easy as people think.  It is rare that picks really do go up for sale like that, and when they do, I have a feeling there are a lot of politics involved to decide who gets it.

I also don't think Faried is going to be available anywhere close to 20.  I think he is going to be going close to the lottery.

Who do you think's going to grab him?  All I've heard is Portland at 21.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

Who knows what Washington, Charlotte, and Minnesota are going to do at 18, 19, 20...I could see him going to any of those, but definitely not lottery

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Who knows what Washington, Charlotte, and Minnesota are going to do at 18, 19, 20...I could see him going to any of those, but definitely not lottery

I could see a lot of teams go with him.  Charlotte, Golden State, Indiana, the Knicks and the Wizards could all use him.