Author Topic: Ray Allen...off the bench?  (Read 7391 times)

Ray Allen...off the bench?
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Ray was recently asked about the team, and said all the right things re: starting vs. coming off the bench. I really think there will be no issue with him, or Pierce for that matter, coming off the bench if Green starts, since they'll get plenty of minutes anyway. Not to say Green should start...but I really don't think these guys care if it makes the team better. Anyway, Ray is class all the way and a true team-guy. We're so lucky to have a professional like him around. Sounds like he's also looking forward to helping Green improve. Full quote:
To me, however I can help the team, it’ll figure itself out. One thing with regards to Jeff is whatever I can do to make him better and to push him to play the best he can ... it’s weird that guys have always looked at it like coming off the bench has been such a bad thing bad. I know we went through the situation with Iverson, he didn’t want to come off the bench. But you’re always worried more about who finishes games but more importantly, when you’re on a winning team, winning the game is the ultimate objective. That’s my primary concern. I want to win. I looked at our record this year, it was sad that we didn’t get to 60 wins. We should have had 60 wins, based on the games we lost
Full interview is here: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/06/allen_thinks_po.html

Re: Ray Allen...off the bench?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
He's awesome.

Who would start though? Would you let Von Wafer start? I think it's a good idea.

Von Wafer, Rondo, Jeff Green could start games getting us into an offensive rhythm. Then Pierce, KG, Ray and Delonte can close. Delonte is a threat from the outside, you can't hack a Rondo, more plays are possible, Delonte stays away from Von Wafer. Win win win win.

And of course Paul Pierce starts. He will start until he retires. Legacy.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
He's awesome.

Who would start though? Would you let Von Wafer start? I think it's a good idea.

Von Wafer, Rondo, Jeff Green could start games getting us into an offensive rhythm. Then Pierce, KG, Ray and Delonte can close. Delonte is a threat from the outside, you can't hack a Rondo, more plays are possible, Delonte stays away from Von Wafer. Win win win win.

One option would be to bring Ray off the bench and start Paul at the 2 (he's been slimming down more and more each year) and Green at the 3. Or...Green at the 3, Ray at the 2, and Pierce as 6th man. Or...keep the same starting 5, and just make sure Green gets 25+ mpg to rest Paul and KG. Honestly, doesn't matter that much to me...and I don't think the players would care so long as the formula works. Nice to have HOFers who check their ego at the turnstile.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I really think this "bring X starter" off the bench argument is really overrated.  After the first quarter, who started and who came off the bench really becomes quite insignificant.

I think the real conversation should be about how Doc should simply plan his rotations better and/or find ways to give Ray, Paul, and KG more rest. 

But you don't need to bench one of them to make that happen. 

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
I really think this "bring X starter" off the bench argument is really overrated.  After the first quarter, who started and who came off the bench really becomes quite insignificant.

I think the real conversation should be about how Doc should simply plan his rotations better and/or find ways to give Ray, Paul, and KG more rest. 

But you don't need to bench one of them to make that happen. 

Well, they'd get more time getting warmed up. The first few minutes of the game are quite meaningless anyway as it is mainly about the teams getting into rhythm.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
it seemed to work for the mavericks putting jason terry on the bench that way when Dirk went to get rest he came out and they didnt go on scoring droughs...he still finished the games..

imagine when Pierce/KG go to the bench, a fresh ray allen comes out...it could eliminate our bench "losing a lead" as youd have a go to scorer on the 2nd unit..

unless Green can develop to be that guy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »

Offline PortCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Doesn't matter who starts, only who finishes. Love the idea of Ray off the bench. Aside from Jordan at 36, shoot guards really start declining at this advanced age. We cannot expect him to repeat his 36 min/night average. But, should they use the MLE on J. R. Smith or Crawford I would leave Ray in the starting line up because a potential Smith or Crawford/Green combo off the bench will produce points.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
He's awesome.

PG) Rondo
SG) Pierce
SF) Green
PF) KG
C) Jermaine

That wouldn't be a bad starting 5. There might be other changes as free agency goes along with PF and C but I think Pierce could play SG easily. Usually the downside to going "big" is you loose speed but in this case I think we stay the same if not faster.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Perfect professional...but Ray Allen is the LAST player who should be coming off the bench.  He is the definition of a rhythym shooter and everybody knows it's harder for rhythym shooters to find their shot when they don't start the game

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
 We'd need a starting caliber 2 because IMO, Paul Pierce is an above average defender at the 3 spot but I'm afraid he'd be below average at the 2 spot.  He's just not quick enough anymore to play 30+ minutes defending shooting guards and it would effect him negatively on the offensive end.  Kind of the way defending LeBron takes so much of his energy that he most times doesn't make a big impact on offense.  Well it would be worse chasing around shooting guards all night long.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Perfect professional...but Ray Allen is the LAST player who should be coming off the bench.  He is the definition of a rhythym shooter and everybody knows it's harder for rhythym shooters to find their shot when they don't start the game

I think Ray is the guy who would do best off the bench. A shooter can shoot. Look at Jason Terry and Kyle Korver. Ray can come in and hit shots. If one of the Big 4 is going to come off the bench then I think it has to be Ray. He's used to playing with the second unit anyways. Also like J Terry he will finish the games.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
What about Marquis Daniels? We don't have much athleticism in the starters anyway, we might as well get a big SG.

I suggested Wafer but upon reflection I think he's better coming off the bench and playing small minutes as he cannot possibly start against some shooting guards in the league.

Another thing is, the starting lineup doesn't have to be set in stone. If Doc plays his cards right, we can have an advantage at the starting lineup against every team in the league since starter is not a "thing" for our players.

In the future, if Danny makes the right choice (in my opinion) and keeps Avery Bradley, he could also be a shooting guard. He is an amazing defender and can potentially become the next Tony Allen, except he will be less boneheaded.

But please, Danny, don't draft the combo guard, we need bigs.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
The big three have been one of the most efficient tandems in the league since they joined forces.  I believe they are the leaders in +/- or if not then right up there.  So it would be hard to breakup a good thing.

There have been a lot of comments about copying DAL because they just won the title.  Get JJ, Tyson, Caron; use Terry off the bench, etc.  What worked for the Mavs worked for them, it's not a formula of success for every team. 

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:28 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
My only concern with Ray coming off the bench is that he seems to be a rhythm shooter.  We've seen so often that he's most effective when he finds his stroke and gets involved early in the game.  Hopefully the adjustment of being on the bench to start won't throw him off.

Other than that, it's of course great to hear that Ray is happy and willing to give coming off the bench a try if asked.  He's a great team guy, and I think he's got a few years of good basketball left in him.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
No ... please. They aren't the "Big Two-And-A-Half", they're the "Big Three" ... for a reason. That group is the core of our team, and Ray is our biggest outside threat, our best man at moving off the ball, (and keeping opponents' defensive sets on their heels), and our best free-throw shooter, (as well as being a crucial element in the chemistry that exists between them and Rondo).

The strength, unspoken bond, and sixth sense that comes with extended time playing together is priceless, and if you remove one element of that core, all this crumbles. Jeff Green, to this point, has done nothing to deserve a starting place on this team, and was one of the least aggressive players we had last season ... hopefully that will change, but we haven't seen it yet.

It will take an injury to make him a starter, and I'm praying that doesn't happen to any of the starting four, (and whatever incredible Center we end up with ;)). What people don't stop to realize is that you can give a new player extra minutes without upsetting the chemistry or psyche of the team/core, if that's what is needed at times.

For example, (and I don't want this to happen), if Doc wanted to give Green or someone else more minutes, he can do so without making him a starter by just bringing him on the court sooner than what would be the norm. In that situation, you've essentially replaced the starter's minutes, but you've done so without upsetting any chemistry or hurting any feelings/egos.

But by taking one of our superstars and officially removing him from the starting lineup, (and labeling him as a "sub" instead of a starter), you're basically saying that that player's status, role, and level of importance to the team, has significantly changed, and that would most likely do far more damage than good.

What I'm saying is that it's just a label, but a label that has a great deal of affect on a player's or team's emotional well-being, especially the veterans and core members. Ray, KG, and Paul should all remain starters while they wear green and until they retire, if we need to give their minutes to other players in the time to come, we can do so easily without removing them from the "official" starting lineup.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *