Author Topic: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?  (Read 18084 times)

Re: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
From the few videos I've seen, he looks awkward and not very good.  What are the reasons for picking him? 
Size, athleticism and youth

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
From the few videos I've seen, he looks awkward and not very good.  What are the reasons for picking him? 

Im not sure I want a guy that skipped his senior year in high school to play professionally abroad.  Screams of character issues if you ask me. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Im not sure I want a guy that skipped his senior year in high school to play professionally abroad.  Screams of character issues if you ask me. 
And did badly in those pro leagues. I don't see a major difference between that and Lenny Cook, except that you can't teach height and we need height

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I like that he left High School and went pro. More young player should do the same.

Wasting their time in school.

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Really? I haven't heard anything too terrible about his character. From interviews I've seen he actually seems fairly humble and soft spoken. He knew he had a future in basketball and tried to make the best decision possible for himself and his family by making some money. He was a high school kid, not a pro yet. I'm sure his family wasn't raking in cash at that point.

Nothing wrong with what he did, imo.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2011, 09:23:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Really? I haven't heard anything too terrible about his character. From interviews I've seen he actually seems fairly humble and soft spoken.
He had a lot of issues in Israel. Maturity, work ethic, coach-ability. A lot of criticism for his coaches and teammates.

He did seem to have a lot less issues last season in Japan though.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Really? I haven't heard anything too terrible about his character. From interviews I've seen he actually seems fairly humble and soft spoken.
He had a lot of issues in Israel. Maturity, work ethic, coach-ability. A lot of criticism for his coaches and teammates.

What 17 year old wouldn't though?  It's almost expected.  You don't pick him if you have a guy available at 25 that Doc and Ainge know will be able to come in and play right away.  That also means Doc will play him regardless.  If you intend on picking a guy who isn't going to contribute this year, then you pick Tyler.  Even Tyler though, I understand defensively he won't be that good on rotations, but he could help with rebounding right away.  That was a fairly big area of concern for us last season. 
do it

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 09:42:44 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

What 17 year old wouldn't though?  It's almost expected.  You don't pick him if you have a guy available at 25 that Doc and Ainge know will be able to come in and play right away.  That also means Doc will play him regardless.  If you intend on picking a guy who isn't going to contribute this year, then you pick Tyler.  Even Tyler though, I understand defensively he won't be that good on rotations, but he could help with rebounding right away.  That was a fairly big area of concern for us last season. 
Yeah, those issues don't bother me much either. Especially since they didn't seem to repeat themselves in Japan. Just a young man growing up. A few road bumps now and again, nothing unexpected and nothing to be overly concerned about.

I doubt J.Tyler is anywhere near ready to contribute. I expect him to spend the next two years glued to the bench no matter who drafts him. A young raw big man with questionable fundamentals and limited experience. That doesn't sound like someone who is ready to play to me. Year three, that is when I think we'll start to see what he is about.

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
In "not news, but since nothing is real right now, its still noteworthy" news, Chad Ford has dropped Tyler down to pick 40 in his latest mock draft.  He has the C's taking Jimmy Butler, and Tyler then goes for a freefall.

I wouldn't make too much of this, but thought it was worth mentioning.

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Chad Ford reported early this morning that the C's brought in Jimmy Butler for a last minute work out yesterday which is probably why he slid him into this spot.

This kid has a great story and has a solid all around game.  I would be good with this pick.

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
In "not news, but since nothing is real right now, its still noteworthy" news, Chad Ford has dropped Tyler down to pick 40 in his latest mock draft.  He has the C's taking Jimmy Butler, and Tyler then goes for a freefall.

I wouldn't make too much of this, but thought it was worth mentioning.

If I were NBA GM's I'd stay far away from Tyler.  He's had very questionable decisions that he's made in his life.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm intriqued.  I know that Israel went very poorly for this kid, but in some ways I think that taking the unconventional approach may end up being a positive character building experience as opposed to a negative one.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Giveth me Jeremy Tyler. I researched as much as I could about him when i saw his Combine stuff. Everyone says he's raw but has potential. If we do draft him, i could see Boston as an awesome venue for him to develop

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I like that he left High School and went pro. More young player should do the same.

Yeah. Graduating from high school is overrated. Why would anyone ever want to do that let alone go to college

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Yeah. Graduating from high school is overrated. Why would anyone ever want to do that let alone go to college

You only have the talent to be a professional athlete for so long, you can always go back to school. If Tyler never finishes his GED or goes back to school, then he's an idiot.