Author Topic: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?  (Read 18082 times)

Re: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Everything I've read and heard, when talking about the Celtics possibility of Tyler as their pick, the same two words are mentioned:

Gerald Green

I don't feel comfortable with that.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'll take him. If he is athletic as he seems to be (draft combine stuff) I want the kid

If Chris Johnson can make an immediate impact (thought they should have kept him instead of getting Arroyo) I think Tyler can do something similar if not better with a training camp and all.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Gerald Green had HUGE upside. It's not like we really missed on another incredible player by drafting him at #18 where we did.

Plus, his POTENTIAL to develop helped net us KG.

So, he flamed out. It's sad. But what, we missed out on David Lee ... Linas Keliza .. .Nate Rob .. . Jarret Jack . .. with the exception of Lee we did not miss out. We took a swing at a player who many people thought had a shot to be awesome later in the first round.

Kobe was picked 13th. I think it's good to take a swing for the fences once in a while.

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I guess we did miss out on Monta Ellis and Gortat that draft but Ellis was selected #40, and Gortat #57 after we'd taken Gomes.

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Gerald Green had HUGE upside. It's not like we really missed on another incredible player by drafting him at #18 where we did.

So, he flamed out. It's sad. But what, we missed out on David Lee ... Linas Keliza .. .Nate Rob .. . Jarret Jack . .. with the exception of Lee we did not miss out. We took a swing at a player who many people thought had a shot to be awesome later in the first round.

Kobe was picked 13th. I think it's good to take a swing for the fences once in a while.

Well said

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 04:59:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
His maturity issues although looking at some combine interviews he have matured a little bit.

His poor performance overseas.

But he has HUGE upside so I don't see why not draft the kid.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. Enormously high bust potential. Regarding this, for those that are p.o.ed over the Giddens and Green picks because they were busts but are saying to pick this guy and if he busts no big deal at least it was a bust on a big man, I have to say this: that's one of the least intelligent things I've ever read on this blog. A bust is a bust. Doesn't matter how big he is or athletic he is or what his upside is or what position he plays. A BUST IS A BUST and does nothing more than set the team back, take up roster space and increase the salary cap. The object of the draft is to pick the best player you can get that will be an asset to the team. Stay away from guys with gigantic bust potential, they usually are busts. We don't need any.

I have a hard time getting upset over picks in the mid 20s that are "busts". It's not like Danny's throwing away anything of great value is the pick doesn't pan out. In the 20s you either take a chance on a high risk high reward guy (and generally get a bust) or take the "safe" pick, generally a tweener or a career backup/low level starter with little upside.

And I get this BBall, I really do. But I have read some stuff(don't want to actually quote anyone but its been written here often) where people are complaining about Danny's picks of Gerald Green and Marcus Banks and JR Gidden as busts and then saying that they would have no problem with Tyler who, of all the players in this draft, might be the one with the most bust potential.

Well when drafting in the teens and 20's in the first round the chances that the guy you select will be out of the league in less than 5 years is pretty high. Starting with the 15th pick in the drafts from 2001 to 2008 an average of 5 players picked each year were out of the league before hitting a second NBA contract. That's roughly a 33% chance of a bust.

Also only 10 of those players ever made an All-Star game or about 8% chance of picking an All-Star. Your best chance is to select a role player or fringe starter. That's what the C's should be hoping for, especially in this, one of the weakest drafts in a while.

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

GG had huge upside but didn't have the baggage Tyler does when Green was drafted. Plus, if I remember correctly, there were a couple other guys in that trade for KG that were keys to getting it done. Heck, even in the press conference, McHale took some shots at Green with him sitting right there.

Tyler is a huge risk. Aside from the fact that while he has the physical tools to be great, he's also in need of a lot of development with those tools. Then you throw in the maturity factor and that explodes. There aren't a lot of guys out there with maturity problems this guy has that end up making it.

If the philosophy is that we're not going to get anybody of value with the 25th pick, then I say pick Tyler and hope that he develops or trade out of the draft. But if there is value with another pick, I'd say go for that, and move on. The kid has to be in the right place to make it. I'm not sure Boston right now is the right place. If there's a right place for him, I'd say maybe the Lakers, Heat, or Mavericks could work.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I guess we did miss out on Monta Ellis and Gortat that draft but Ellis was selected #40, and Gortat #57 after we'd taken Gomes.

Hm? The 2005 draft proved to be fairly deep. Plenty of NBA rotation players besides David Lee, Ellis and Gortat were taken after Green: Hakim Warrick, Nate Robinson, Jarrett Jack, Francisco Garcia, Linas Kleiza, Brandon Bass, C.J. Miles, Ersan Ilyasova, Ronny Turiaf, Lou Williams, Andray "What's that in my shoe" Blatche, Amir Johnson...

Anybody but Blatche, or okay Nate Robinson (been there done that), would've been helpful last season.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I can see KG and JO working the Kid into maturity. Give him some quality minutes behind JO/KG and let him grow into a decent player.

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I tend to be skeptical of athletic players who are described as having a poor work ethic and lacking mental toughness.  The guy could be the next Patrick O'Bryant or the next JaVale McGee.  If he ends up somewhere in between, will you be happy?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
If he can work well under/with KG and JO and turns out to be supercenter , we would have an awesome frontcourt! I'm reserving this moniker for Jeff Green but he hasn't been able to impress me yet. So if Jermaine, Tyler and Garnett become an indestructible force, I'd call them JTG - Just Too Good! I like the potential on Tyler, we should grab him at 25!

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 02:12:41 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
From the few videos I've seen, he looks awkward and not very good.  What are the reasons for picking him? 

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:19 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I actually see Tyler as the opposite of Gerald Green in that Green burst on the scene at the end of his senior year having no hype before that. Tyler was consistently top of his class in high school.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 03:06:44 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I actually see Tyler as the opposite of Gerald Green in that Green burst on the scene at the end of his senior year having no hype before that. Tyler was consistently top of his class in high school.

So, dumber, taller Avery Bradley?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference