Author Topic: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?  (Read 18073 times)

Re: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

I'm guessing the Blazers pass.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »

Offline throwedoff

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'd much rather take the risk of drafting him then end up in the same position we were in a couple years ago. Could of had Jordan. Everyone wanted Jorddan. We got Giddens. yuck.
Man that still burns my soul where is Giddens anyway??? iont wanna see a part 2 of that garbage pick up Tyler please

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm cool with taking Tyler, but I'm not kidding myself that he'll be more useful than JR Giddens was his rookie year.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I kind hope that if they want to take a flyer on Tyler, they do it by buying another pick.  Some of the other big men that have been discussed, there's some guys with less upside but decidedly less risk who should be available as well.  Buy an extra pick (they'll be for sale), grab someone like Vucevic who stands a reasonable chance of contributing soon, and take a gamble on Tyler putting it all together.

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd feel much better taking a chance on J.Tyler if Clifford Ray was still here.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I'd feel much better taking a chance on J. Tyler if Clifford Ray was still here.

Tommy Point.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
He was the back up to Robert Swift in Japan.

Also are window is next year we need someone that can play right away.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »

Offline Celticai

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I kind hope that if they want to take a flyer on Tyler, they do it by buying another pick.  Some of the other big men that have been discussed, there's some guys with less upside but decidedly less risk who should be available as well.  Buy an extra pick (they'll be for sale), grab someone like Vucevic who stands a reasonable chance of contributing soon, and take a gamble on Tyler putting it all together.

My thoughts exactly. I'm just not sure about Vucevic's defense. I'd sure hope we could draft a guy who could clog the paint. Tyler's not that guy.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I have very little idea on drafts so my views are purely based on stuff I read and my extrapolation.

On a few sites, most prominently nbadraft.net, they seem to be saying we would be picking Trey Thompkins (PF). Nbadraft.net has Jeremy Tyler a few picks behind Trey Thompkins.

If this is true, then what reason is there for us not to pick Jeremy Tyler, who is about an inch taller, has overseas professional basketball experience and can play both bigs? Are there better picks out there? I would be really happy if they get Jeremy Tyler since he seems like the perfect fit.

Celticsblog has a source saying insisting Reggie Jackson (a combo guard) will be picked. I am really shuddering to think that Danny Ainge would make such a move as we are extremely stacked at the guards.

Not Celticsblog

SI

http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/6/14/2223733/2011-nba-draft-rumor-reggie-jackson-wont-slip-past-celtics

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/06/14/mock.draft.3/index.html

Oddly enough, Amick's latest version of the draft has the Celts picking Tyler.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Pretty solid interview with tyler....definitely seems a lot more mature than people make him sound.  I think people here that he skipped his senior year of highschool and just think this guy is going to be an immature and not have a high IQ, but this interview leads me to believe that he might be very coachable and actually thought about the decision he made.  I say let's take a flyer on this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMSNSlyyBQ

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Pretty solid interview with tyler....definitely seems a lot more mature than people make him sound.

The problem is, he is being called immature because of his decisions and actions, and he can talk all he wants, but the talk will never make up for the actions.  So, he is going to have the immature label until he gets rid of it by proving he is ready through his actions.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. Enormously high bust potential. Regarding this, for those that are p.o.ed over the Giddens and Green picks because they were busts but are saying to pick this guy and if he busts no big deal at least it was a bust on a big man, I have to say this: that's one of the least intelligent things I've ever read on this blog. A bust is a bust. Doesn't matter how big he is or athletic he is or what his upside is or what position he plays. A BUST IS A BUST and does nothing more than set the team back, take up roster space and increase the salary cap. The object of the draft is to pick the best player you can get that will be an asset to the team. Stay away from guys with gigantic bust potential, they usually are busts. We don't need any.

2. Horrible showing overseas in two different leagues.

3. His combine numbers didn't scream out great athlete or unreal potential other than his length. 13.4% body fat after playing two years of pro ball?

4. Inexperienced people around him making bad decisions for him usually means trouble when said player gets a guaranteed contract with 7 figures.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Pretty solid interview with tyler....definitely seems a lot more mature than people make him sound.

The problem is, he is being called immature because of his decisions and actions, and he can talk all he wants, but the talk will never make up for the actions.  So, he is going to have the immature label until he gets rid of it by proving he is ready through his actions.

Agreed, his actions do need to do the talking, but if the most immature thing he did was to start working on his craft a year early in a couple of foreign countries, is that really that immature?  European and other foreign players do this all the time.  Some of the euro players in this draft that are projected much higher all turned pro early and put up similar underwhelming numbers but we don't scrutinize their maturity as hard.

We may not like the idea of skipping highschool, but it does seem like he put some though into why he made that decision, and has even said there were things on and off the court that he would do differently.  He also goes on to say that the path he took was a tough one and is not for everyone.

Saying the right things and understanding that you could have done things differently is step one in maturing and it appears he has done that.

Doc and our vets can help him continue to grow in that direction.

Look at brandon jennings...not much in europe, slipped in draft as a result, but is now a solid nba player.

Take a flyer on tyler!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:21:09 PM by quidinqui33 »

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Oh yeah, I still want them to take a shot at Tyler.  Just playing Devils Advocate.  The guy is a HUGE risk. 

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
1. Enormously high bust potential. Regarding this, for those that are p.o.ed over the Giddens and Green picks because they were busts but are saying to pick this guy and if he busts no big deal at least it was a bust on a big man, I have to say this: that's one of the least intelligent things I've ever read on this blog. A bust is a bust. Doesn't matter how big he is or athletic he is or what his upside is or what position he plays. A BUST IS A BUST and does nothing more than set the team back, take up roster space and increase the salary cap. The object of the draft is to pick the best player you can get that will be an asset to the team. Stay away from guys with gigantic bust potential, they usually are busts. We don't need any.

I have a hard time getting upset over picks in the mid 20s that are "busts". It's not like Danny's throwing away anything of great value is the pick doesn't pan out. In the 20s you either take a chance on a high risk high reward guy (and generally get a bust) or take the "safe" pick, generally a tweener or a career backup/low level starter with little upside.