Author Topic: Steve Kerr: Lebron is more Pippen than MJ  (Read 22139 times)

Re: Steve Kerr: Lebron is more Pippen than MJ
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Anderson Varejao is exhibit A of why when people say "But Lebron had no teammates in Cleveland" I just kind of snicker. It's like who are you going to believe? Me or your own lying eyes?

Varejao had the best game of his career tonight. He's definitely not good enough to be the 2nd best player on a contender unless the best player is LeBron.
snicker

Varejao is absolutely, positively not a second option for a team. Look at the numbers, he averaged 7 points a game when LeBron was there. Now, he averages 9-10 a game. Wooo!
Bron had multiple other all stars he played with. Most of which are doing well or did well without him

How many of them are winning titles as the number 2 guy on a team?
About as many as D Wade has as the 2 guy on a Bron team

So, which one of them made it to the finals recently? 

oh hey I get it. They weren't good enough to carry Bron to a title. I agree. But if you think for one second you can trade Bron straight up for Durant and suddenly Bron, Russell Westbrook, Harden, and Perk are one of the best teams in the league and that Durant, Wade, and Bosh get worse......snicker.  Or hey. Trade Bron for Dirk last year. That would be funny. Snicker.

Bron had these guys and got crushed by the Celts. Now we get to see what Kyrie can do with them

How many years did it take Dirk to win?

How long did it take Kobe and Shaq to jell and win?
I totally agree with what you're pointing out here. Those guys persevered and eventually became champs.  Lebron was like "Screw this. I'm outta here." and still didn't win. Maaaayyyybbbeeee he'll win one. If he doesn't will we have to hear about how Miami doesn't have enough talent?  Maybe he'll go back to Cleveland and ask Kyrie and Andy V "Hey can you guys carry me to a championship?"

Yeah, Shaq never switched teams. 
Shaq had no problem winning a ring with Wade. He also got offered a better deal to go to LA (technically less money, but a better deal) whereas Lebron actually left money on the table to try to in a ring

He left Orlando where he didn't win the ring to go to another team and eventually win a few rings. 

Did he resort to tampering and then hold a rally saying they'd win like 7 rings? Did Shaq have anywhere near the talent in Orlando that Bron had? Did he take less money to turn his back on his back yard? I'm going with no on all that

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just because the Heat approached their coming together wrong, doesn't make it any different on the court. 

It doesn't take away from the talent of those players. 

It just annoys fans.

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2012, 11:15:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Just because the Heat approached their coming together wrong, doesn't make it any different on the court.  

It just annoys fans.
It confirms the lack of talent.  Hello my name is Lebron and I'm not talented enough to lead a team to a banner.

Hello I'm Chris Bosh and I'm really not talented enough to lead a team to a ring.

Hello. I'm Dwade and I'm probably not talented enough to lead a team to a ring without Shaq or some such other player. Well not again at any rate.

Hi. I'm Dirk and I'm more talented than any of you.

Hello. I'm Tim Duncan and I'm a lot more talented than any of you.

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

It just annoys fans.
It confirms the lack of talent.  Hello my name is Lebron and I'm not talented enough to lead a team to a banner.

Hello I'm Chris Bosh and I'm really not talented enough to lead a team to a ring.

Hello. I'm Dwade and I'm probably not talented enough to lead a team to a ring without Shaq or some such other player. Well not again at any rate.

I hate the Heat, and even I'm almost excited to see them win a few rings and have arguments like this stop.

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It just annoys fans.

I hate the Heat, and even I'm almost excited to see them win a few rings and have arguments like this stop.
but that wouldn't stop it.....they'd probably have to win 7 like was promised, or was set as a goal anyway

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2012, 06:32:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Anderson Varejao is exhibit A of why when people say "But Lebron had no teammates in Cleveland" I just kind of snicker. It's like who are you going to believe? Me or your own lying eyes?

Varejao had the best game of his career tonight. He's definitely not good enough to be the 2nd best player on a contender unless the best player is LeBron.
snicker

Varejao is absolutely, positively not a second option for a team. Look at the numbers, he averaged 7 points a game when LeBron was there. Now, he averages 9-10 a game. Wooo!
Bron had multiple other all stars he played with. Most of which are doing well or did well without him

oh hey I get it. They weren't good enough to carry Bron to a title. I agree. But if you think for one second you can trade Bron straight up for Durant and suddenly Bron, Russell Westbrook, Harden, and Perk are one of the best teams in the league and that Durant, Wade, and Bosh get worse......snicker.  Or hey. Trade Bron for Dirk last year. That would be funny. Snicker.

Bron had these guys and got crushed by the Celts. Now we get to see what Kyrie can do with them

I totally agree with what you're pointing out here. Those guys persevered and eventually became champs.  Lebron was like "Screw this. I'm outta here." and still didn't win. Maaaayyyybbbeeee he'll win one. If he doesn't will we have to hear about how Miami doesn't have enough talent?  Maybe he'll go back to Cleveland and ask Kyrie and Andy V "Hey can you guys carry me to a championship?"

Shaq had no problem winning a ring with Wade. He also got offered a better deal to go to LA (technically less money, but a better deal) whereas Lebron actually left money on the table to try to in a ring

He left Orlando where he didn't win the ring to go to another team and eventually win a few rings. 

Did he resort to tampering and then hold a rally saying they'd win like 7 rings? Did Shaq have anywhere near the talent in Orlando that Bron had? Did he take less money to turn his back on his back yard? I'm going with no on all that
and you would be wrong on pretty much all of them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2012, 07:13:04 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Steve Kerr = Captain Obvious.

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

snicker

Seriously? Shaq tampered? Dennis Scott? Nick Anderson? Penny Hardaway?  Made less money going to LA?

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 07:44:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he means that LeBron doesn't always take over games like MJ did.  In fact, he has a habit of not showing when it matters.  Yes, I know he hurt us last year in the playoffs but the two times in the finals that he has been there he was a no show largely.

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I would take Lebron over Pippen any day of the week.

I also imagine that MJ would have a difficult time scoring on Lebron than any other player MJ had faced (not named Reggie Lewis).

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I would take Lebron over Pippen any day of the week.

I also imagine that MJ would have a difficult time scoring on Lebron than any other player MJ had faced (not named Reggie Lewis).

You mean THIS Reggie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7t4swtdYw

:)

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

snicker

Seriously? Shaq tampered? Dennis Scott? Nick Anderson? Penny Hardaway?  Made less money going to LA?
Penny Hardaway was a 1st Team All NBA player in the 2 consecutive seasons before Shaq left (and was 3rd Team All NBA Shaq's first year in LA and then he got hurt).  Shaq also had 3 time champion (and all star) Horace Grant starting at PF, and even guys like Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott were near 20 point scorers in the NBA.  Yeah, I'd say Shaq had way more talent than Lebron did in Cleveland.  Not even close and you really don't need to go past Penny Hardaway to reach that conclusion.

Orlando offered the same money that Los Angeles did.  So while he didn't take less money, he didn't take more money either.

Shaq left because he didn't get along with Orlando's coach (hill) and was in the middle of a power struggle with Penny (sounds kind of familiar if you ask me), which became readily apparent the summer of 96 while Shaq was playing for the Olympic team, which was training in Orlando.  Was their tampering, who the hell knows, but I could easily draw that conclusion just as you did with Lebron (without any proof mind you).

Your revisionist history here is just crazy and doesn't mimic reality at all.

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

snicker

Penny Hardaway was a 1st Team All NBA player in the 2 consecutive seasons before Shaq left (and was 3rd Team All NBA Shaq's first year in LA and then he got hurt).  Shaq also had 3 time champion (and all star) Horace Grant starting at PF, and even guys like Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott were near 20 point scorers in the NBA.  Yeah, I'd say Shaq had way more talent than Lebron did in Cleveland.  Not even close and you really don't need to go past Penny Hardaway to reach that conclusion.

Orlando offered the same money that Los Angeles did.  So while he didn't take less money, he didn't take more money either.

Shaq left because he didn't get along with Orlando's coach (hill) and was in the middle of a power struggle with Penny (sounds kind of familiar if you ask me), which became readily apparent the summer of 96 while Shaq was playing for the Olympic team, which was training in Orlando.  Was their tampering, who the hell knows, but I could easily draw that conclusion just as you did with Lebron (without any proof mind you).

Not exactly.  Horace Grant was an all star one whole time. I think he was consistently very underrated, but I feel that way about Antwan Jamison too and he was all star twice

Scott was averaging about 17ppg when Shaq left, but the two years before that it was 13 on poor shooting

Nick was a 15ppg guy also on not great shooting.

They were both good teams. They both went to the finals.  Do you think Lebron could have won a ring with Shaq's cast in Orlando?

Also I was under the impression LA offered maybe 10mill less because Orlando had the bird rights, but Shaq made more money going to LA, which is the 2nd biggest market in America and put him close to many media people. Kobe for example has made more money in LA than he could have had he had the exact same career in Orlando and D Howard has thought of that

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Not exactly.  Horace Grant was an all star one whole time. I think he was consistently very underrated, but I feel that way about Antwan Jamison too and he was all star twice
If you are comparing Jamison to Grant, who is the Penny Hardaway in Cleveland?  Also, Jamison was 33 and two years removed from his last all star appearance (with deteriorating stats).  Grant was 29 and 30 (his two seasons with Shaq) and was an all star in Orlando with Shaq. 

Scott was averaging about 17ppg when Shaq left, but the two years before that it was 13 on poor shooting

Nick was a 15ppg guy also on not great shooting.
So you mean when Shaquille O'Neal, Penny Hardaway, and Horace Grant all join a team in consecutive seasons the scoring of the other players decreases.  Stop the presses, this is the first time ever that this has happened.  Dennis Scott is a career 40% shooter from 3 point range.  I wouldn't exactly call him a poor shooter.  Nick Anderson was a pretty efficient scorer during the Magic's hey day, when his role was greater he was a worse shooter (imagine that).

They were both good teams. They both went to the finals.  Do you think Lebron could have won a ring with Shaq's cast in Orlando?
Lebron was a more similar player to the other pieces on that Magic team, so it probably wouldn't have been a well constructed team, but if you gave Lebron a PF or C as good as Penny Hardaway in Cleveland and they win at least one title if not more. 

Also I was under the impression LA offered maybe 10mill less because Orlando had the bird rights, but Shaq made more money going to LA, which is the 2nd biggest market in America and put him close to many media people. Kobe for example has made more money in LA than he could have had he had the exact same career in Orlando and D Howard has thought of that
so by that logic, then Lebron will make more money in Miami then he could have made in Cleveland.  I mean it works both ways.  If you look at factors outside of the actual contract, then Lebron will also make more money in Miami (the state tax difference alone is huge - which actually worked in reverse for Shaq i.e. no state tax to fairly hefty state tax).  You can't have it both ways.

The reality is Shaq did the exact same thing as Lebron and Shaq left a better team behind with a better management structure.  But as with all things, it is ok for others, but not for Lebron.  Shaq switches teams no problem.  MJ misses or passes a final shot no problem.  Lebron does it problem.  Take your dislike of Lebron out of the equation as that is the only way you can see things clearly.

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The reality is Shaq did the exact same thing as Lebron and Shaq left a better team behind with a better management structure.  But as with all things, it is ok for others, but not for Lebron.  Shaq switches teams no problem.  MJ misses or passes a final shot no problem.  Lebron does it problem.  Take your dislike of Lebron out of the equation as that is the only way you can see things clearly.
Regarding the shot question, it wrong to congratulate MJ for Paxson or Kerr hitting a shot. He should be congratulated for making the right basketball play. If they would have missed, judgment should not changed because his play his the same. Unfortunately, people do not think this way.

Instead, we place excessive importance on the outcome when judging individual plays that are made without foreknowledge of the future. We judge plays with knowledge that makes us unable to reasonable judge a play.

Still, not all players have the same level of determination and when the talent level is high enough, determination can make a difference. I feel Vince Carter is rightly criticized for this, but I wonder if we are reading too much into Lebron's lack of a title. I do not for a second question Barkley's determination or ability, yet he is ringless. There was a lot of subtext that last playoff series in Cleveland so I am not comfortable basing the narrative of who he is on that one series despite the many other ridiculously dominant playoff performances he has had.