Author Topic: Steve Kerr: Lebron is more Pippen than MJ  (Read 22141 times)

Re: Steve Kerr: Lebron is more Pippen than MJ
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Anderson Varejao is exhibit A of why when people say "But Lebron had no teammates in Cleveland" I just kind of snicker. It's like who are you going to believe? Me or your own lying eyes?

Varejao had the best game of his career tonight. He's definitely not good enough to be the 2nd best player on a contender unless the best player is LeBron.
snicker

Varejao is absolutely, positively not a second option for a team. Look at the numbers, he averaged 7 points a game when LeBron was there. Now, he averages 9-10 a game. Wooo!
Bron had multiple other all stars he played with. Most of which are doing well or did well without him

How many of them are winning titles as the number 2 guy on a team?
About as many as D Wade has as the 2 guy on a Bron team

So, which one of them made it to the finals recently? 

oh hey I get it. They weren't good enough to carry Bron to a title. I agree. But if you think for one second you can trade Bron straight up for Durant and suddenly Bron, Russell Westbrook, Harden, and Perk are one of the best teams in the league and that Durant, Wade, and Bosh get worse......snicker.  Or hey. Trade Bron for Dirk last year. That would be funny. Snicker.

Bron had these guys and got crushed by the Celts. Now we get to see what Kyrie can do with them

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Bron had multiple other all stars he played with. Most of which are doing well or did well without him

Who? Mo Williams only made an All Star team playing next to Bron. I think Z had one All Star year if that counts. Jamison I guess? ALthough he was a shell when he got to Cleveland, IMO. Who am I missing? Larry Hughes?

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 10:29:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Who? Mo Williams only made an All Star team playing next to Bron. I think Z had one All Star year if that counts. Jamison I guess? ALthough he was a shell when he got to Cleveland, IMO. Who am I missing? Larry Hughes?
how many all-stars does he need? 4? Shaq was still pretty decent when he got to us a year older.....poor Bron...he only played with multiple borderline all-stars

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
how many all-stars does he need? 4? Shaq was still pretty decent when he got to us a year older.....poor Bron...he only played with multiple borderline all-stars

I'm fairly certain that you're trolling.

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Anderson Varejao is exhibit A of why when people say "But Lebron had no teammates in Cleveland" I just kind of snicker. It's like who are you going to believe? Me or your own lying eyes?

Varejao had the best game of his career tonight. He's definitely not good enough to be the 2nd best player on a contender unless the best player is LeBron.
snicker

Varejao is absolutely, positively not a second option for a team. Look at the numbers, he averaged 7 points a game when LeBron was there. Now, he averages 9-10 a game. Wooo!

Yeah only because he made them All-Stars...I don't see Mo Williams or Jamison making the team anytime soon.

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I'm fairly certain that you're trolling.
well when the sun comes up I'll turn to stone so you won't have deal with it long then I guess

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Pippen is not in Lebron's league as scorer.

Lebron has averaged 26-30 points/game on near 50% shooting for the last 5 years. And his FG% would be even better if he took less 3s, which he is finally doing this year. Pippen's best was 20.7/game.

At his best, Pippen got to the line 5.3 times a game. Lebron has eclipsed 10/game 3 times and has been close several other times.

Lebron is an elite scorer like Jordan. Having said that, can understand the personality comparisons. Lebron is not an insanely competitive, alpha-dog scorer like Jordan but he produces the same output.

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

snicker

Yeah only because he made them All-Stars...I don't see Mo Williams or Jamison making the team anytime soon.
where are the all stars that weren't already all-stars in Miami?

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215

snicker

where are the all stars that weren't already all-stars in Miami?

No where? Miami already had enough talent on the team...Wade, Bosh, and Lebron were all clear cut all stars.

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

snicker

oh hey I get it. They weren't good enough to carry Bron to a title. I agree. But if you think for one second you can trade Bron straight up for Durant and suddenly Bron, Russell Westbrook, Harden, and Perk are one of the best teams in the league and that Durant, Wade, and Bosh get worse......snicker.  Or hey. Trade Bron for Dirk last year. That would be funny. Snicker.

Bron had these guys and got crushed by the Celts. Now we get to see what Kyrie can do with them

How many years did it take Dirk to win?

How long did it take Kobe and Shaq to jell and win?

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

snicker

I totally agree with what you're pointing out here. Those guys persevered and eventually became champs.  Lebron was like "Screw this. I'm outta here." and still didn't win. Maaaayyyybbbeeee he'll win one. If he doesn't will we have to hear about how Miami doesn't have enough talent?  Maybe he'll go back to Cleveland and ask Kyrie and Andy V "Hey can you guys carry me to a championship?"

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

snicker

I totally agree with what you're pointing out here. Those guys persevered and eventually became champs.  Lebron was like "Screw this. I'm outta here." and still didn't win. Maaaayyyybbbeeee he'll win one. If he doesn't will we have to hear about how Miami doesn't have enough talent?  Maybe he'll go back to Cleveland and ask Kyrie and Andy V "Hey can you guys carry me to a championship?"

Yeah, Shaq never switched teams. 

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

snicker

oh hey I get it. They weren't good enough to carry Bron to a title. I agree. But if you think for one second you can trade Bron straight up for Durant and suddenly Bron, Russell Westbrook, Harden, and Perk are one of the best teams in the league and that Durant, Wade, and Bosh get worse......snicker.  Or hey. Trade Bron for Dirk last year. That would be funny. Snicker.

I totally agree with what you're pointing out here. Those guys persevered and eventually became champs.  Lebron was like "Screw this. I'm outta here." and still didn't win. Maaaayyyybbbeeee he'll win one. If he doesn't will we have to hear about how Miami doesn't have enough talent?  Maybe he'll go back to Cleveland and ask Kyrie and Andy V "Hey can you guys carry me to a championship?"

Shaq had no problem winning a ring with Wade. He also got offered a better deal to go to LA (technically less money, but a better deal) whereas Lebron actually left money on the table to try to in a ring and still couldn't do it

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

snicker

Shaq had no problem winning a ring with Wade. He also got offered a better deal to go to LA (technically less money, but a better deal) whereas Lebron actually left money on the table to try to in a ring

He left Orlando where he didn't win the ring to go to another team and eventually win a few rings. 

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No idea when Jordan said this, but I think it is important to add some perspective.

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Jordan made a lot of final shots, no doubt, but he missed a lot as well and he passed the ball and let others take the final shot as well.  Let us also not forget that Jordan didn't even lead the Bulls to a winning record or a playoff series win until he had Pippen and Grant (in his fourth season).  And let's not even talk about the off court stuff where Jordan was a serial gambler, womanizer, and generally not fan friendly at all often ignoring fans.  No one remembers any of that either.    

When Jordan missed no one remembered.  When Jordan passed it is because he was unselfish.  James does any of that he is a choker who will never win the big one.  Nevermind James was stuck on a terrible franchise that couldn't pair him with even a legit #2 nonetheless a top 50 player of all time.  

Some other items of note, James has the second highest playoff PER (for a season) ever behind only Hakeem.  His career playoff PER is 3rd all time (behind MJ and Mikan).  Yet if you compiled the press you would think James is terrible in the playoffs and a choker.  James had a poor series against Dallas, it happens, but he was dominant against Boston and Chicago while Wade was pretty bad.  And that poor series James turned in against Dallas was still essentially 18/7/7 with 1.7 steals on 48% shooting.  

People don't like James so they magnify his failures and ignore his successes.  People liked Jordan so they magnify his successes and ignore his failures.  But the reality is both of those guys are alpha dogs and all time great players that will be in that special room in the HOF.  They are far more similar than dissimilar.  James is much more MJ than he is Pippen as the reality is Pippen could never take over a game and will his team to victory, something both Jordan and James did on numerous occassions in the playoffs (and something James will do many more times before he retires).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip