Author Topic: Steve Kerr: Lebron is more Pippen than MJ  (Read 22105 times)

Steve Kerr: Lebron is more Pippen than MJ
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I thought that this was a pretty fair portrait:

Scottie Pippen had it all wrong when he recently compared LeBron James with Michael Jordan, said one former Chicago Bulls teammate.

"The irony to me is that LeBron is not Michael. LeBron is actually Scottie," former Bull and current television analyst Steve Kerr said Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "He's so similar to Scottie in that defensively he was just a monster, could guard anybody, really more of a point forward than scoring guard. Scottie always loved to distribute the ball. That's really where LeBron's preference is.

"Phil Jackson used to call Scottie a 'sometimes shooter.' Sometimes they would go in, sometimes they wouldn't. That's how it is with LeBron. He's a great talent and a great player but you can see his flaws as a basketball player. He doesn't have an offensive game that he can rely on: no low-post game, no mid-range jump shot so when the game really gets tough he has a hard time finding easy baskets and getting himself going. That's what Michael did in his sleep so that's why the comparison is wrong."

Link

Is Kerr being too hard on him?  Or is Lebron simply not wired the same as an alpha-dog like MJ?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Steve Kerr: Lebron is more Pippen than MJ
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
then I guess it's fair to say that Wade is no MJ
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »

Offline samantha28

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 156
I thought that this was a pretty fair portrait:

Scottie Pippen had it all wrong when he recently compared LeBron James with Michael Jordan, said one former Chicago Bulls teammate.

"The irony to me is that LeBron is not Michael. LeBron is actually Scottie," former Bull and current television analyst Steve Kerr said Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "He's so similar to Scottie in that defensively he was just a monster, could guard anybody, really more of a point forward than scoring guard. Scottie always loved to distribute the ball. That's really where LeBron's preference is.

"Phil Jackson used to call Scottie a 'sometimes shooter.' Sometimes they would go in, sometimes they wouldn't. That's how it is with LeBron. He's a great talent and a great player but you can see his flaws as a basketball player. He doesn't have an offensive game that he can rely on: no low-post game, no mid-range jump shot so when the game really gets tough he has a hard time finding easy baskets and getting himself going. That's what Michael did in his sleep so that's why the comparison is wrong."

Link

Is Kerr being too hard on him?  Or is Lebron simply not wired the same as an alpha-dog like MJ?

i think he's just being fair. he's saying that MJ and Lebron are just different offensive players.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:28 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Kerr is right on the money with that statement... I always thought the same of LeBron. LeBron is like Scottie but better. I think Pippen believed he was better than Jordan and Pippen believes that LeBron is a better all around player than he was. With that said... He conclusively believed LeBron was better than Jordan since he was already better than Jordan...****!!!  ;D LeBron needs a Carmello or Paul Pierce. ;)

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

But hes better than lebron
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

No way in hell.  LeBron is the best defensive player in basketball, while Wade is always getting lost on rotations

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

More than "fair to say," that is a correct statement. 

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Kerr is right on the money with that statement... I always thought the same of LeBron. LeBron is like Scottie but better. I think Pippen believed he was better than Jordan and Pippen believes that LeBron is a better all around player than he was. With that said... He conclusively believed LeBron was better than Jordan since he was already better than Jordan...****!!!  ;D LeBron needs a Carmello or Paul Pierce. ;)

This has been the classic problem of LeBron in my opinion.  He does not take a role to allow his team to succeed. If he wanted to, LeBron could be the PG and focus on assists, perhaps becoming one of hte best PGs in the league.  But he does not take on that role fully.  LeBron could be a PF and dominate with his size and athleticism, but he does not learn the post game and allow his teammates to set him up in the post.  He could be a scoring wing, but then he steps all over D-Wade's toes.  In the end, he is trying too hard to be everything.  He needs to pick a role and then dominate that role.  Ironically for him, the wing-scorer role is taken on his new team...

Find another role LBJ.  Your options are to (1) spend the summer with Hakeem and learn the post, causing for the Heat to trade Bosh for a PG and role players or (2) spend the summer dribbling, passing, shooting, and losing some weight to preserve speed, and come back as the reincarnation of Magic Johnson.  (I honestly do not think he can focus on being a PG, but reasonable minds can disagree)

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
I agreed 100% with Kerr when I heard this.  Lebron strengths lie more as an uber-facilitator and super defender, than go-to scorer, but he is such a freak of nature athlete he can score 25+ points while hardly trying even without a go-to offensive move (except in the fourth quarter! ;D)

I generally agree with the previous post...Bron needs a post move and a reliable mid-range jumper or he should just defer to Wade and take 10 less shots than him a game.

He also needs to stop leaving his feet before he passes the ball but now I sound like JVG griping.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

No way in hell.  LeBron is the best defensive player in basketball, while Wade is always getting lost on rotations

Dwight Howards got a real problem with that statement

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:16:39 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
He might be right.  I'd say LeBron is a stronger, more athletic version of Pippen, but there talents are similar. 
do it

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think this is actually the issue. It's not that LeBron wants to defer, it's that his offensive game isn't robust enough to take over games down the stretch. If he can't get to the rim he doesn't have a good enough midrange/outside game to get it done consistently, and he's not the best foul shooter. He can still improve though.

And while LeBron isn't (and may never be) an MJ type of player, Pippen's scoring ability is closer to Rondo's level than LeBron's. Let's not go crazy here.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He is very much like Pippen except Lebron takes more shots and is probably a slightly better shooter.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:44 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

Dwight Howard is obviously an amazing defensive player...but he plays a LOT of really untalented players at his position who only score 10ppg against each other.  LeBron can literally guard any player in this league other than Centers.  Plus he is flying all over the court blocking shots and playing the passing lanes.

He's the best IMO

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Dwight Howard is obviously an amazing defensive player...but he plays a LOT of really untalented players at his position who only score 10ppg against each other.  LeBron can literally guard any player in this league other than Centers.  Plus he is flying all over the court blocking shots and playing the passing lanes.

He's the best IMO

You're talking 1v1 defense only. I don't think LBJ protects the rim like Dwight does, or alters as many shots by players that he helps out on.