Author Topic: Battle of the Bigs : Biggie vs Big L vs Big Pun  (Read 8378 times)

Battle of the Bigs : Biggie vs Big L vs Big Pun
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I always say, if they were alive Hip Hop wouldn't be this bad
All three of them are legends, lyricism at its best

Biggie is prob the most popular, but I choose Big Pun. Super fast rhyme scheme, charisma, plus the guy was funny. My best from him is Boomerang, Beware, and You Ain't a Killer

Who do you think is better of the three, and why?
Also name favorite songs

Re: Battle of the Bigs : Biggie vs Big L vs Big Pun
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I have to go with Biggie... Pun 2nd then Big-L last. I choose Biggie for the simple fact he has 2 excellent classic albums that I could listen to without skipping a trak. Pun isn't too far off, and Big-L was nice but he's not up there with these greats (more in the Jadakiss/Fabolous/Lloyd Banks) brackett.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Biggie is prob the most popular, but I choose Big Pun. Super fast rhyme scheme, charisma, plus the guy was funny. My best from him is Boomerang, Beware, and You Ain't a Killer

Also name favorite songs

Biggie is the best in a laugher compared to the other two. Innovative, insanely talented, original, introspectic. Gimme Da Loot for the song.

Big L was nice, but I just kinda find him abrasive. '98 Freestyle if I'm picking one.

Big Pun was alright too, but he's not on Big L or Biggie's level. But..to be fair, "Still Not a Player" is one of my favorite songs of the 90's.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

Also name favorite songs

Biggie is the best in a laugher compared to the other two. Innovative, insanely talented, original, introspectic. Gimme Da Loot for the song.

Big L was nice, but I just kinda find him abrasive. '98 Freestyle if I'm picking one.

Big Pun was alright too, but he's not on Big L or Biggie's level. But..to be fair, "Still Not a Player" is one of my favorite songs of the 90's.

Ohh so its that much of a separation between Biggie and Pun? I'm from Brooklyn, so you know I love Biggie lol. I think Pun was more lyrical
My fav Biggie song is Everyday Struggle

You think Hip Hop has hit its low point?

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Biggie was so ahead of his time and so talented, he's the GOAT in my eyes

Quote from: OsirusCeltics link=topic=48530.msg1021859#msg1021859

I don't think it's at a low point, I think it's more of a state of transition. Hip-Hop is so young that this is the 1st generation to have somewhat of a foundation to build on. Older artists created Hip-Hop from scratch. I think things will balance themselves out.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Also name favorite songs

Ohh so its that much of a separation between Biggie and Pun? I'm from Brooklyn, so you know I love Biggie lol. I think Pun was more lyrical

I've met people from the Bronx that will swear up and down that Big Pun was the better rapper. I just took it to be a local pride thing. Surprised to see a person from Brooklyn taking Pun over Biggie.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

Also name favorite songs

I've met people from the Bronx that will swear up and down that Big Pun was the better rapper. I just took it to be a local pride thing. Surprised to see a person from Brooklyn taking Pun over Biggie.

Yeah, that Capital Punishment album is so great start to finish

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I mean it's pretty tough to mention L with Biggie in a discussion like this, but i'm big on Big L.  he's the forgotten one because he went before he had a chance to put out a few records.  He had the attitude and the flow, just never got the chance.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

I don't think it's at a low point, I think it's more of a state of transition. Hip-Hop is so young that this is the 1st generation to have somewhat of a foundation to build on. Older artists created Hip-Hop from scratch. I think things will balance themselves out.

Boy I hope so. Cause right now its too commercial. I can't stand another day of Lil Wayne lol

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:29:04 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

Boy I hope so. Cause right now its too commercial. I can't stand another day of Lil Wayne lol

The issue is the radio.  There's still rappers out there that are as good as rappers from the early to mid 90s, they just don't put them on the radio.
do it

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Pun isn't too far off, and Big-L was nice but he's not up there with these greats (more in the Jadakiss/Fabolous/Lloyd Banks) brackett.  ;)

First off, putting Fabolous and Lloyd Banks in the same category as Jadakiss is way off. Jada>>>Fab/Banks, he has to be the most underrated rapper of my lifetime.

I agree with you besides that though.

Biggie had the best songs, and was the most well rounded. Pun had the best delivery/flow, dude could spit. Lastly, Big L is the best punchline rapper ever, but he could never put it together, which could have been different if he had lived longer.

For best songs. Biggie- Victory, for Pun, pick any song on Capital Punishment, and Big L- Da Graveyard/8 minute freestyle with Jay-Z.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:49:09 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

The issue is the radio.  There's still rappers out there that are as good as rappers from the early to mid 90s, they just don't put them on the radio.

Yup totally agree
I think after 1998, all the good Hip Hop went underground
Like if you see in '99
Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides"
Pharoah Monch's "Internal Affairs"
The Roots' "Things Fall Apart"
Talib Kweli's "Train of Thought"

None of those albums got the respect and attention they deserved

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
1. Biggie

2. Big L - Killer story telling ability
3. Big Pun

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Big Pun for me.

I think he is the easiest to listen to and most lyrical.

I could never really get into Big L, I tried.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Biggie is one of the two greatest rappers of all time (at least for rappers who are commercially popular go,) Big Pun was immensely talented but not on Biggie's level and I always thought Big L was really overrated for the body of work he actually produced.