Author Topic: Rondo Trade Ideas  (Read 6279 times)

Rondo Trade Ideas
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
So, none of these would actually happen, but it’s the time of year to think about. All of these, of course, assume a similar CBA/the current CBA. Also note that some deals were very very close to working money wise, and needed a reasonably signed Wafer (one of those cheap, not fully guaranteed deals that is a win for him because he gets some guaranteed money at least) to get the last couple bucks.

The Trades:

Philadelphia:
Rondo, Ray, Wafer, JO, Bradley, Future First
For
Iguodala, Holiday, Speights, Brand.

Celtics:
Holiday/West
Iguodala/West/FA
Pierce/Green
KG/Speights/Baby/FA
Brand/Speights

Holiday is not the overall guard that Rondo is, but he’s a better shooter and is younger. He could play a little more off the ball than Rondo does, allowing Pierce, KG and Iggy to initiate some offense while still being the majority PG. Brand is slower than his prime, but he’s beefy enough to play center defensively at a high level, still rebounds, and would benefit from looks created by Pierce, KG,  Iggy, Holiday. Speights brings upside and legit post offense, something the C’s lack.

Rondo/Williams
Ray/Williams/Bradley
Turner/FA or Rookie
Young/Songaila/FA or Rookie
JO/Hawes

Philly turns Brand and Iggy (in or past prime on a rebuilding team) into only one long term deal: Rondo’s reasonable one. Philly plays fun, uptempo ball, saves 7 million right away (good for the impending sale!), and completes the rebuild via the draft and FA next season, a full year before they’d otherwise be able to.

Sacramento
Rondo, JO, Bradley
For
Cousins, Udrih, Garcia

Udrih/West
Ray/Garcia
Pierce/Green
KG/Baby
Cousins/FA

Udrih is a solid guard, a guy who can facilitate the offense to Ray, KG, Pierce and Cousins and knock down the open shots. Cousins is a beast; alongside KG he couldn’t be doubled without impunity, and would give the C’s a dimension they’ve seriously lacked in rebounding and post scoring. Garcia deepens the bench.

Rondo/Bradley
Evans
Casspi
Greene
Thompson

With options to bring back Dalembert, Marcus Thornton, and lots of cap room. Sac decides they don’t need Cousins’ headaches (Evans’ are enough), and decides he’s a true 2 guard; they run a super fast paced, guard heavy, fan friendly offense while trying to entice financiers.  And lots of capspace.

Portland
Rondo, JO
For
Miller, Oden (resigned on a reasonable 3 yr trial), Fernandez

Miller/West
Ray/Fernandez
Pierce/Green
KG/Baby/Rookie
Oden/FA

Swing for the fences. Miller steps right in and C’s are still in win-now mode. If healthy, Oden is a major major upgrade at center both next year and down the road. It’s a gamble; championship or bust.

Rondo
Roy/Matthews
Wallace/Batum
Aldridge/Wallace
Camby/JO

Portland gets the young PG to run the show and set up their weapons, and gets something for Oden while he still has some value, to guarantee a legit title shot in the next couple years.

New Jersey
Rondo, Ray
For
D Williams, Morrow, Petro

Williams/West
Morrow/West/Bradley
Pierce/Green
KG/Green/Baby
JO/Petro/FA/Rookie

Overall upgrade at the point. Morrow slides into the deadeye shooting roll.

Rondo/Farmar
Ray
Outlaw
Humphries/Wright
Lopez

This trade is predicated on NJ realizing that Derron will not stay with them, so they turn him (and some of their long term money) into a locked-up Rondo and capspace; build with a lockup up rondo, Lopez, and FA space.

Utah
Rondo, JO, Bradley
For
Harris, Raja Bell, Favors

Or

Rondo, JO, Bradley
For
Harris, Millsap

Harris/West
Allen/(Bell)
Pierce/Green
KG
Favors or Millsap

For Boston, they get more scoring punch at PG, and either get a real PF finisher/scorer/rebounder in Millsap, or a young, big, potential defensive stud.

Rondo/Price/Watson
Miles/Bradley
Hayward
Okur/Kirilenko/
Jefferson/JO/Fesenko

For Utah, they replace Williams with a “name” PG, either at the price of Favors or Millsap.

Toronto
Rondo, #25
for
Calderon, Davis, #5

Or

Rondo, JO, Bradley, #25
For
Calderon, Davis, #5, Amir Johnson, Bayless

The general idea is sacrifice PG defense for Offense, Get a legit big in Davis, be able to get a young good player at #5, and add some bench depth in Amir and Bayless in the second deal; the second deal also allows Toronto to save some money. Deal 1 is just Toronto cashing in for a Name PG; the second is the same plus saving Amir’s deal.

Calderon/West
Allen/Bayless
Pierce/Green
KG/Amir
Davis/FA/#5

Rondo/Weems
Weems/Bradley
Derozen/Wright/Kleiza
Bargnani/J Johnson
Evans/Alibi

Cleveland
Rondo, JO, Bradley
For
Baron, Verejao, #4

Baron/West
Allen
Pierce/Green
KG
Verejao

Boston is the type of situation to motivate Baron; motivated Baron is an all-star. Upgrade at center, as well as being able to go big or get a new young PG with the 4th pick.

Rondo/Gibson
Sessions/Parker
D Williams
Hickson/Jamison
JO

For Cleveland, they get a PG and can go with Derrick Williams or can even trade down to #2 to pick up an additional asset perhaps.

A different deal would be to not get a pick back from Cleveland, add in wafer in a small (~1 million) s+t, and do:
Rondo, JO, Bradley, Wafer
For
Baron, Verejao, Hickson

Re: Rondo Trade Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:06:56 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
On so many levels and in so many words - great post right there. Lots of cool ideas. TP.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:27:14 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
i love Rondo to death, but the sixers trade is by far my favorite

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If you are doing a Rondo trade only one makes sense to me

Rondo and a sign and trade Green plus picks to New Orleans for Chris Paul and Quincy Pondexter.

Other than that, trading Rondo makes no sense to me.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:18:04 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
A lot of new creative trade idea. Tp.

But I stil don't think the Celtics are trading Rondo. Unless a team blows them out of the water with a trade. Rajon Rondo is a valuable asset for the franchise on & off the court. His name recognition brings in revenue for the Celtics. Rajon Rondo sells tickets & Jerseys. Rajon Rondo jersey is the NBA's third best seller And in 2012, he could possibly attract Dwight Howard to Boston. Great player, outstanding Contract, and he is marketable.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Most of those trades are Rondo for mediocre point guards and they probably knock us out of contention. The NJ trade is probably a push but Williams says he wants to stay there. Oden's 3 year deal will be Rondo-type money so that's something of a gamble given his health.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:10:46 PM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
I have no doubt that if Danny wants to continue to propound his newfound propensity for outrageously foolish moves, out of some deeply perverse urge to make Isaiah Thomas look like a sober-minded individual, there are gms out there who - like Presti - will help him do it.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Trade Rondo = Get worse.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »

Offline PortCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13

Rondo and a sign and trade Green plus picks to New Orleans for Chris Paul and Quincy Pondexter.

Only CP3 should hit our 'hot button' when discussing trading RR. Anything less than a PG who can distribute and defend in the same vernacular is not worth talking about. Agree here completely! :)

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Only CP3 should hit our 'hot button' when discussing trading RR. Anything less than a PG who can distribute and defend in the same vernacular is not worth talking about. Agree here completely! :)

If we're looking at trading for Chris Paul we need to figure out the long term health of his knee. His stats this year were down quite a bit from his heyday. Next year should be the year he gets back to full health after that knee injury but there's a lot of talk on the internet about him changing his game due to lost explosiveness.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Some to add:

Rondo for #1, Sessions, Verejao
Rondo for #2, Randolph, Rubio, Ridnour
Rondo, Bradley for Bogut, Jennings

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Some to add:

Rondo for #1, Sessions, Verejao
Rondo for #2, Randolph, Rubio, Ridnour
Rondo, Bradley for Bogut, Jennings

Cleavland, Minnesota, and Milwaukee all hang up the phone. 

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
Trade Rondo = Get worse.

i back that.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:33:57 PM by perks-a-beast »

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226

Rondo is the motor of this team. He showed in the playoffs he has the heart of a lion and he has a knack for making others around him better. the big three have practically handed over the team to him. His contract is a bargain for a player of his magnitude. and i can go on for days why i wouldnt trade rondo for anyone except chris paul (as far as realistic trade partners go. like obviously id trade rondo for derrick rose but the bulls wouldnt)

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
Why is it obvious that one would trade Rondo for Chris Paul or Derrick Rose?   I can see that those guys offer a more complete package than Rondo does, but how important is that, really?  Is building a team the same as making a sandwich?  I already know what Paul and Rose can do, and that's pretty awesome, but I want to see what this kid can do, and I think it could be more awesome.