Author Topic: Celtics work out Jeremiah Rivers  (Read 8939 times)

Celtics work out Jeremiah Rivers
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
http://www.csnne.com/06/11/11/Celtics-workouts-continue-on-Saturday/landing.html?blockID=534293&feedID=3352

I thought he wasn't even in the draft, and if he would enter he would be a top 3 pick. Am I missing something? I know he's Doc's son so he might just stop by, but this is still an official draft workout by the looks of it.

Re: Celtics work out Jeremiah Rivers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
As a Red Shirt senior, he only started 19 of 32 games.  And that is not a very good team.  I wouldn't expect anything to happen.  Probably needed a warm body to balance the workouts.
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
http://www.csnne.com/06/11/11/Celtics-workouts-continue-on-Saturday/landing.html?blockID=534293&feedID=3352

I thought he wasn't even in the draft, and if he would enter he would be a top 3 pick. Am I missing something? I know he's Doc's son so he might just stop by, but this is still an official draft workout by the looks of it.

You're thinking of Austin Rivers, Doc's more talented son.

Jeremiah Rivers would be purely a nepotism pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

You're thinking of Austin Rivers, Doc's more talented son.

Jeremiah Rivers would be purely a nepotism pick.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense! Now I see why he was likely there as a warm body for the other guys to work out against.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Sick.  I heard he was a nasty defender.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
He's apparently 6'5" so I would love to grab him with the 55th pick this draft. He would instantly be a fan favorite and, if he's willing to learn, a solid rotation player.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Could always start off on the Red Claws and move up at some point if he's not NBA ready.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
He's simply not an NBA player.  He might not even be capable of playing in Europe.  He can't dribble, he can't shoot, his defense is solid, but not great by any means.  There is no reason to draft him or even invite him to camp.  Let the Red Claws sign him outright, if he improves than you work something out.  There will be much better undrafted and second round options.
do it

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Bradley was #16 if I recall properly, and he didn't play at all this season(even next season he will be benched).
Only a C or a PF rookie will see some playing time(ala Erden) due to injuries etc.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
He's apparently 6'5" so I would love to grab him with the 55th pick this draft. He would instantly be a fan favorite and, if he's willing to learn, a solid rotation player.

So grab him because he's 6'5'' and Doc's son? Great idea!  BTW he's not 6'5'' and also not very good.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He is not a draft pick, but could be a camp invite type.  I think he is a kid who could carve out a spot in the league.  He is a smart player, and a good, tough defender.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 05:46:01 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
This explanation was posted to the main forum article:

"Sherrod Blakely said Rivers' son was there only for a warm body for the other guys to work out agianst
He said this in a pm to me when I asked him on twitter

by hpantazo on Jun 12, 2011 9:08 AM PDT reply actions"

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 01:32:21 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Bradley was #16 if I recall properly, and he didn't play at all this season(even next season he will be benched).
Only a C or a PF rookie will see some playing time(ala Erden) due to injuries etc.

Bradley was drafted 19th

but yeh from what i heard, hes only a good defender, thats about it...we need someone who can do both, but what Sherrod said, hes only there for a warm body/practice against

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline painter33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

They probably needed someone to chase down balls for the real invitees or provide a warm body to stand there simulating defense to see how the other "draftables" move around.  I would doubt that they'd even invite him to camp.  The worst thing he or his brother could do is play for Dad.  Not so much for them but for Doc and the position he'd be put in when who's on the floor really matters.  When has a father-son deal ever really worked out successfully?

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218

So grab him because he's 6'5'' and Doc's son? Great idea!  BTW he's not 6'5'' and also not very good.

I'm 6'5", maybe the Celtics can take me too!  ;D