Author Topic: So what's behind these Celtics tweets?  (Read 9212 times)

So what's behind these Celtics tweets?
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:37:35 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't know what's behind this clutch of Celtics tweets.  Will there be a story on Celtics.com to follow?  Is this to manage disappointment after Curly's departure?  Public posturing for some purpose in the draft?  (E.g., managing further disappointment if the C's trade away their pick or picks?)  Public posturing to make it look like they're not desperate to trade someone away?

celtics Boston Celtics
Ainge says team has run numbers on low first rounders: "Historically, the odds of a #25 draft pick breaking into a rotation is like 6%."
14 hours ago

celtics Boston Celtics
Doc: "J Green came into a difficult circumstance. He's extremely talented, athletic and we need to get him more mins."
14 hours ago

Ainge: "The last thing I wanna do...because we're trying to win...is put inexperienced players under Doc. It's a delicate balance."
14 hours ago

Ainge: "I want our players in the community. I think it makes them better people. It's a growing experience for them." #celticspartners
14 hours ago

Doc: "The 1st weight room we had was my 9th year in the NBA." Ainge: "Red wouldn't let us lift weights. He felt more injuries happen there."
14 hours ago

Doc: "There's only so many 7-footers on Earth. And half of them can't play." Ainge: "There's not a lot of centers. The game is changing."
14 hours ago

Ainge: "It's not a strong draft. There's not a lot of players who could change a franchise. We need bigs more than we need smalls."
14 hours ago

Ainge: "We're as good as the teams playing in the Finals right now. We have a great chance (next season) with our guys right now."
14 hours ago

Ainge on re-signing Doc to long-term extension: "Continuity breeds stability and success. We'll make subtle changes (to the roster)."
14 hours ago

Doc: "I like our nucleus. It's getting old but they're really good players. Next year we have another shot at it. I'm excited about 2011-12"
14 hours ago

Re: So what's behind these Celtics tweets?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Who knows - interesting catch, though.
If I had to guess, I'd say the purpose of the tweets is that the DA wants to acquire another pick in the low first round.  It seems like he is talking down (a) the value of those picks and (b) the idea that the Cs need one of those picks.  Knowing how DA operates, you put a and b together and it means DA wants to acquire a pick.  That's my guess.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:34:23 AM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
seem like he doesnt want the 25th pick. he wants a center and experienced players. dont know what we could trade the 25th pick for.
they also talk about jeff green needing more minutes and a roster change. basically since green is a tweener its bye bye big baby and the 25th pick.

btw suns are a perfect fit for glen davis

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:42:48 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
anything ainge is tweeting is probebly a way to throw off other gms from what he is doing, however his workouts have been centered around bigs so "We need bigs more than we need smalls." is likely true for this draft pick.

Also possible that he is trying to publicly play down the value of the picks to try to get a pick from a team not looking to get a younger guarented contract in a presumably weak draft.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:03:34 AM »

Offline PortCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
anything ainge is tweeting is probebly a way to throw off other gms from what he is doing, however his workouts have been centered around bigs so "We need bigs more than we need smalls." is likely true for this draft pick.

Also possible that he is trying to publicly play down the value of the picks to try to get a pick from a team not looking to get a younger guarented contract in a presumably weak draft.   

Agreed on both counts. It's almost impossible to predict Danny and I'm sure those cards are being kept close to his vest regarding the pick. Still, I don't see Bradley having much impact next season, and I found it revealing that Danny told the media he'd be a top 5 pick in this year's draft. We know Doc's track record when it comes to trusting rookies, and we know about the last go around and the championship aspirations. This is a weak draft, and there's no question the pick is being shopped or may be part of a larger deal on draft night.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

Agreed on both counts. It's almost impossible to predict Danny and I'm sure those cards are being kept close to his vest regarding the pick. Still, I don't see Bradley having much impact next season, and I found it revealing that Danny told the media he'd be a top 5 pick in this year's draft. We know Doc's track record when it comes to trusting rookies, and we know about the last go around and the championship aspirations. This is a weak draft, and there's no question the pick is being shopped or may be part of a larger deal on draft night.

As to Bradley, I agree--when Danny talks up an asset (player) we should prepare to say 'goodbye'. 

But I don't know how much value he has right now, he's had a year to learn Doc's system, and there's always a seat at the end of the bench.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:42 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Who knows - interesting catch, though.
If I had to guess, I'd say the purpose of the tweets is that the DA wants to acquire another pick in the low first round.  It seems like he is talking down (a) the value of those picks and (b) the idea that the Cs need one of those picks.  Knowing how DA operates, you put a and b together and it means DA wants to acquire a pick.  That's my guess.

Intriguing.  He sure doesn't seem to be talking up the value of the pick, which might be more expected if he were trying to trade it.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
nice catch - I actually thought of this too yesterday as I read the tweets - I added this to the front page

I really do think they are shopping the pick and call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are trying to package a player with the pick in a bigger deal
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
normally I think that when ainge says something he does it to mislead others or to put a positive spin on things for the fans.  however, some if the statements seem so obviously true that it doesn't seem like they could new spin. these comments lead me to believe the following:
1. they are trying to acquire a pick
2. they are going small because they won't be any bigs left when they pick or they want other teams to stay away from bigs.
3. they are going  to draft international so that doc can't bury a rookie far down the bench
4. ainge wants to show that the odds are stacked against him so when he makes a good pick it will be even more impressive.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Also, maybe he's trying to increase one of the Big Three's trade value.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's hard to say if he's looking to make a monster swap with jeff green+bradley+a pick.

If he's seen that the clippers are interested in a fast wing player (ie iguadala), he could possibly float bradley+green+pick for Deandre Jordan or Chris Kaman.

OR he's trying to move Bradley+ the pick for something. ( is that a higher pick or a player?)
His thinking must be
*i've got to get some pieces to give this big 3 a real shot against Miami and Chicago in the playoffs and the only way we can do that is by signing some monster power forward or Center.

I would not be surprised if he went after a top 10 center now that Curly Krstic is gone to Russia.
My first guess would be Kaman- since the Clippers are looking to get rid of him.

He's probably got his sights set on some project two guard in the 2nd round whilst trying to grab a big guy with the pick+a current player on the C's.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Whatever Danny's up to, I'm sure it's something. 

I'm also quite certain my oh-fer record in guessing his draft moves and motives will remain intact through this year.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Sounds like he's just trying to keep expectations low for the upcoming season.

He's a fairly smart guy ; he knows we're not going to be in position to compete for a title

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's hard to say if he's looking to make a monster swap with jeff green+bradley+a pick.

If he's seen that the clippers are interested in a fast wing player (ie iguadala), he could possibly float bradley+green+pick for Deandre Jordan or Chris Kaman.

OR he's trying to move Bradley+ the pick for something. ( is that a higher pick or a player?)
His thinking must be
*i've got to get some pieces to give this big 3 a real shot against Miami and Chicago in the playoffs and the only way we can do that is by signing some monster power forward or Center.

I would not be surprised if he went after a top 10 center now that Curly Krstic is gone to Russia.
My first guess would be Kaman- since the Clippers are looking to get rid of him.

He's probably got his sights set on some project two guard in the 2nd round whilst trying to grab a big guy with the pick+a current player on the C's.
Actually, that trade with the Clips sounds fairly plausible.  I don't think it goes far enough though for the C's to really benefit.  Ideally (IMHO) in that deal, BBD would be thrown in and we'd get both Jordan and Kaman.  C's could pick up a backup wing with the MLE and have a pretty solid frontcourt rotation with KG, JO, Jordan and Kaman.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Ainge: "We're as good as the teams playing in the Finals right now. We have a great chance (next season) with our guys right now."
14 hours ago

I like this quote.

I agree with him, Boston were just as good as the two teams in the Finals this past season. A little bad luck with injuries and some quality performances from Miami. Very little difference between a second round exit and another Finals appearance for Boston this year.

I like hearing that Danny Ainge has that outlook on the team's ability. That he doesn't think there is a sizable gap between the three sides. That Boston are right there.