Author Topic: if marshon brooks falls to us at 25  (Read 8999 times)

Re: if marshon brooks falls to us at 25
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Guys as someone that grew up in Rhode Island and saw a few providence games this year, it is kind of shocking to me that some people would consider it "falling" to us if this guy dropped to 25. I think he is second round talent and definitely not someone you draft as the best player available. If you are a first round NBA player your team does not go 4-14 in conference and routinely get blown out. They lost I think 8 games by double digits in the big east including a 30 point loss and a 27 point one (keep in mind this is college). It is hard to judge his defense indvidiually but PC was one of the worst defensive clubs as a whole, so he is no bruce bowen. Also, although his scoring and shooting numbers are nice, he averaged more turnovers than assists. He could potentially come in and be a scorer off the bench, but there is really no guarantee of that. There are plenty of guys overseas or in the nbadl with prolific scoring totals and who did it for more than one year. Also, anyone remember how unstoppable adam morrison looked in college?
As a "Rho-dye-landa" myself, I disagree with a lot of this. 

PC's team sucks.  No developed talent other than Brooks this past year.  A big east team with only 1 bonafide prime college player goes 4-14 in this league and posts a crappy record.  As for blowouts, even the best shooters have off days so when their team has no one else to turn to for scoring -- blowout loss. 

He's not lottery-level talent by any means and probably would be mid-second round material in a loaded draft but bottom line is this kid can score.  He can create for himself which is something the C's don't have other than PP and Wafer.  He's got legit NBA SG size.  At #25, unless an equally talented big man is available, Danny should be picking this kid as Ray's eventual replacement.  Not to overhype him but if he puts the effort into refining his game, he could be Reggie Lewis-lite for this team and that wouldn't suck.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline KittleCeltsYo

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1
I just graduated from PC, went to school with Marshon for 4 years. Didn't know him too well, but hung out with him a couple times and knew some other hoops players. After talking with the kid, you just could tell he loved basketball, everything about the game and his work ethic preparing for this draft proved just that. Definitely a veryyy confident kid, but he's a scorer and to have that scorer's mentality, you have to have that mind.

Freshman year, Marshon was pretty much a dear in headlights, he played sparingly.

Sophomore year, we started to see that spark early in the season. PC actually had a good team that year, several scoring options including Weyinmi Efejuku who came very close to making the Heat roster this year and could definitley score in the NBA. Marshon, as a soph off the bench in a senior-laden team, would turn it on when the offense was stagnant. At times, he would just disappear, esspecially as the year wore on and he lost his jump shot as he battled an ankle sprain.

Junior year, Marshon was supposed to be the next great PC player according to an article in the Projo. It was a very disappointing year for him. He became the third option behind Sharaud Curry and Jamine Peterson (who might hear his name called in the second round after being thrown off the PC team last summer). Marshon was tenative, couldn't play without the ball in his hands, made bad decisions at the worst times. It was actually sad because we had extremely high expectations for him.

Senior year, many of us thought we'd be better without him before the season began, but he just turned it on and never stopped. The offense revolved around him and he took it and ran with it. We had ZERO big man threats. Our PG Vincent Council was solid but couldn't work without a big because he was a Kenny Anderson type PG who was forced to shoot a lot when Marshonn couldn't find his shot.Marshon played with a bad team this year, but after watching every game closely, you noticed the other team’s whole defensive game plan was to shut him down. These teams were not your average high-major college teams. They were Big East teams, night in and night out playing top 25s. It seemed like he even played better against better competition, note the Georgetown 40+ point game and Notre Dame 50. It was tough seeing this team stumble, but watching a potential star finally doing a lot more than what we expected from him was amazing to watch.

He put it together, I honestly think it was about him getting his head straight. He was an unheralded recruit who never seemed to realize what he can do until this year.  When he found that overall confidence in his game, he never looked back. I think he’s going to be a good NBA player in the right situation. I really don’t know if he can be a role player under any situation. I think he has to be a scorer no matter what. A team who drafts him has to make him their primary scoring option in their second unit. Any less, he has a much higher chance to fail. He needs the ball in his hands to be the scorer he can be, incorporating his amazing handle and silky moves (PP like) to get his shot off.  Who knows though? Maybe Marshon will finally learn to play off the ball and if so, the sky is the limit. People compare him to Jamal Crawford, but I see a poor man’s mix of Paul and Kevin Durant. Only 6’5, but very long as his 7’1 wingspan suggests.   People worry about his defense, but I think his love for the game of basketball and Marshon realizing that he’s in the NBA will allow him to be fine along with his length. When he was a sophomore, people raved about his defense I think because he realized he had to step it up at D1 level. He slacked off in the past two years, but again he’ll understand that he has to play D to get playing time in this league.

No brainer, you have to snag him at 25 especially in this draft class. He might be the next Gerald Green doing nothing in this league, but he could be something very special. I’m excited to follow Marshon’s career as a pro and I’m really hoping he becomes a Celtic, although chances are slight as he could be drafted as high as 10 to the Bucks.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Well, he fell to the Celtics, but I'm glad they traded him for a big man.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
From what I have read on Marshon Brooks, he sounds like a better version of Nick Young to me.

His rebounding (7rpg in 36.5mpg), steals (1.5) and blocks (1.2) numbers are pretty solid. Sounds like a guy who is fairly active in getting his team extra possessions + could be someone who becomes a useful defender with his length and activity in the right environment under a defensive minded Head Coach.

A shot happy role player who doesn't pass the ball often enough but it looks like he can create some possessions and may be able to play enough defense, down the road, to make that work out. Unlike N.Young who never creates possessions and still doesn't play enough defense and is an all-around nuisance to his team.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
From what I have read on Marshon Brooks, he sounds like a better version of Nick Young to me.

His rebounding (7rpg in 36.5mpg), steals (1.5) and blocks (1.2) numbers are pretty solid. Sounds like a guy who is fairly active in getting his team extra possessions + could be someone who becomes a useful defender with his length and activity in the right environment under a defensive minded Head Coach.

A shot happy role player who doesn't pass the ball often enough but it looks like he can create some possessions and may be able to play enough defense, down the road, to make that work out. Unlike N.Young who never creates possessions and still doesn't play enough defense and is an all-around nuisance to his team.

Nick Young was a decent rebounder in college as well - similar physical tools.  College stats are so difficult to judge for me. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Nick Young was a decent rebounder in college as well - similar physical tools.  College stats are so difficult to judge for me. 
Nick Young had good rebounding numbers his first two years but not his final season.

Only 4.6 rebounds in 34 minutes. 0.7 steals and 0.3 blocks.

That Providence team played at a high pace though, didn't it? I think I read that somewhere. I find it hard to keep track of different players and their teams when I haven't seen them in action.

That would make Brooks' rebounding a bit below average rather than above average. Hmm ... probably not a plus rebounder then. Steals and blocks still look pretty solid. That might make him average overall (as a possession creator).

Anyway, I expect him to be better than Nick Young in this area.

------------------------------------------

Oh, Draftexpress, has pace adjusted per 40 minute stats.

M.Brooks = 7.1 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.2 blocks (stats same as above)
N.Young = 5.4 rebounds, 0.9 steals, 0.3 blocks
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:44:04 PM by Who »

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Nick Young had good rebounding numbers his first two years but not his final season.

That Providence team played at a high pace though, didn't it? I think I read that somewhere. I find it hard to keep track of different players and their teams when I haven't seen them in action.

That would make Brooks' rebounding a bit below average rather than above average. Hmm ... probably not a plus rebounder then. Steals and blocks still look pretty solid. That might make him average overall (as a possession creator).

If you compare their junior seasons, they were much closer to each other.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

If you compare their junior seasons, they were much closer to each other.
You think that is just being a year older vs the level competition? Rather than actual development / improvement?

It could be.