Author Topic: if marshon brooks falls to us at 25  (Read 8969 times)

if marshon brooks falls to us at 25
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:47 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
We need to take this kid regardless of our neds at the 4 and 5. He has the potential to be a flat out stud at the 2 for the future and can create his own shot. He can help us. Now woth scoring off. The. Bench

Re: if marshon brooks falls to us at 25
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
We need to take this kid regardless of our neds at the 4 and 5. He has the potential to be a flat out stud at the 2 for the future and can create his own shot. He can help us. Now woth scoring off. The. Bench

Meh, he was a one year wonder
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And he wasn't even considered that great until workouts started.  He reaks of a guy whose skillset is perfect for workouts, but who isn't a great team basketball player. 

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Ainge drafted Giddens a few years ago why not give this guy a shot ?

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ainge drafted Giddens a few years ago why not give this guy a shot ?

Worst.Argument.Ever.

(no offense, but lets not use huge busts as a reason to draft a guy)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
There's another thread already created about Brooks as an option.  you should check that one out for more info.

Regarding the negative responses towards this kid, it's obvious the posters have never seen him play or followed his career.  This kid as the skills to make the jump to the NBA and could thrive playing next to Rondo.  Very nice backup for Ray next year and as is replacement going forward.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I must admit I'm once of those guys who are easily impressed by combine numbers so naturally I'm impressed by Brooks results. That's a big part of what had me wanting to draft Giddens. As for Brooks can someone who's seen him play describe his game? Can he shoot, hows his handle, is he turnover prone?

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

And he wasn't even considered that great until workouts started.  He reaks of a guy whose skillset is perfect for workouts, but who isn't a great team basketball player. 

Providence College's basketball team was horrible...and the guy was a legit scorer so theres no surprise that he handeled the ball ALOT on that team..

but being able to put up 52 against Notredame isnt anything to scoff at....I think this kid could come in right now and be able to knock down shots

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Agree...we can do better.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Guys as someone that grew up in Rhode Island and saw a few providence games this year, it is kind of shocking to me that some people would consider it "falling" to us if this guy dropped to 25. I think he is second round talent and definitely not someone you draft as the best player available. If you are a first round NBA player your team does not go 4-14 in conference and routinely get blown out. They lost I think 8 games by double digits in the big east including a 30 point loss and a 27 point one (keep in mind this is college). It is hard to judge his defense indvidiually but PC was one of the worst defensive clubs as a whole, so he is no bruce bowen. Also, although his scoring and shooting numbers are nice, he averaged more turnovers than assists. He could potentially come in and be a scorer off the bench, but there is really no guarantee of that. There are plenty of guys overseas or in the nbadl with prolific scoring totals and who did it for more than one year. Also, anyone remember how unstoppable adam morrison looked in college?

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
remember Lester Hudson? the only guy who got a quadruple double in NCAA history?

remember how that turned out, i mean marshon brooks is good but hes a senior isnt he? I would go for a younger player with more potential

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 03:08:44 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
remember Lester Hudson? the only guy who got a quadruple double in NCAA history?

I remember Lester Hudson and I remember him getting his numbers in a weak conference and being an undersized combo guard.  He was also 24 at the time. 

Marshon's teams didn't win and I'm not saying he should be excused for that necessarily.  At the same time though, Kemba's Uconn team a couple of seasons ago only made the NIT and he played with more talent than Marshon did.  Would I project Marshon to be a top 3 player on a contending team?  I don't know but I would try to project him based on his skills and athleticism rather than dismiss him because his teams lost a lot.

One thing I will say about him is that I like that he can dribble and create his own shot on the perimeter.  The Celtics need someone who can come off the bench and fill it up.  They've been missing that bench scoring punch.  A lot of their perimeter bench guys haven't even been able to dribble or shoot.  It'd be nice to have someone who could do both.  It will allow Pierce and Allen to get more rest because one of them wouldn't have to be out there so the team could have offense. 

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 06:00:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
he's probably going a few spots higher ( 16-21) but if he falls to 25 I don't think Danny is passing up on him.
Could potentially be a tracy mcgrady project that is too good to pass.

Unless a highly touted big guy somehow slips through.

if he is available danny will take him for sure.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If he is there at 25 i think the Cs take him, he put up good numbers in college and has great size for an nba wing. In a draft void of to many wing players he is as good a prospect as there is.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:22:46 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline u2larkin04

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
as a rhode islander maybe im biased, but i don't see how we could pass him up... i've watched a lot of his games at providence, and he's a great scorer... would definitely be great to see him grow behind Ray Ray
DISCLAIMER: When I post on here, it's usually because I've been drinking. If you are an avid home brewer or fan of whiskey you'll understand. If you're not; SORRY!

GO CELTICS!