Author Topic: Pat Chambers Leaves BU...Who will be the next BU coach?  (Read 3146 times)

Pat Chambers Leaves BU...Who will be the next BU coach?
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/06/04/patrick_chambers_leaves_bu_basketball_for_penn_state/

Chambers leaves BU after only two seasons to take the Penn state coaching job.

Potential Candidates for the BU Men's Basketball job include Al Skinner, Richard Pitino (Rick's son) and former Celtic WALTER MCARTY...

For BU bball fans (or just MA area college basketball in general)who do you want to see coaching BU?
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

Re: Pat Chambers Leaves BU...Who will be the next BU coach?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
That was a tough loss for the BU program for sure. Chambers infused a lot of energy into the program and was very much the polar opposite of Dennis Wolffe, his predecessor. But anybody with a set of eyes could tell that Chambers would be gone soon - that BU was just a stepping stone for him. And why not? The America East conference will never have the clout needed to compete past the America East or recruit bigger names. Chambers came from Villanova  as an assistant and will likely move up from Penn State soon enough.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Thanks Red
That was a tough loss for the BU program for sure. Chambers infused a lot of energy into the program and was very much the polar opposite of Dennis Wolffe, his predecessor. But anybody with a set of eyes could tell that Chambers would be gone soon - that BU was just a stepping stone for him. And why not? The America East conference will never have the clout needed to compete past the America East or recruit bigger names. Chambers came from Villanova  as an assistant and will likely move up from Penn State soon enough.

Yup...It is a shame BU can't be in the A10 or a similar conference. It would be nice to root for a Boston area college basketball team...I can't get myself to root for BC
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Yup...It is a shame BU can't be in the A10 or a similar conference. It would be nice to root for a Boston area college basketball team...I can't get myself to root for BC

I myself am a BC fan, but Harvard is building quite a program, they got robbed not making the tourny this year. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Thanks Red

I myself am a BC fan, but Harvard is building quite a program, they got robbed not making the tourny this year. 

Tommy Amaker has been a great coach at Harvard...and it is not like he isn't getting other coaching offers( http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/13/2163871/harvard-coach-tommy-amaker-spurns.html). Looks like he wants to stay at Harvard though.

-Red Auerbach

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »

Offline Celtic Terrier

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2
This is frustrating for anyone who was at Agganis for the America East championship game. Never had I seen such excitement over BU basketball.

That being said, they won that game (and many others) on the shoulders of John Holland who was recruited by Dennis Wolff. We had yet to learn a whole lot about Chambers' recruiting ability. One can't question his enthusiasm and attitude though. He certainly sold his long term commitment to the program well even though it was a stepping stone all along.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
This is frustrating for anyone who was at Agganis for the America East championship game. Never had I seen such excitement over BU basketball.

That being said, they won that game (and many others) on the shoulders of John Holland who was recruited by Dennis Wolff. We had yet to learn a whole lot about Chambers' recruiting ability. One can't question his enthusiasm and attitude though. He certainly sold his long term commitment to the program well even though it was a stepping stone all along.

Yes, but Wolff was awful as a coach. The players tuned him out and his offensive system was terrible. Additionally, the campus didn't care about the program at all, in part because of his surly demeanor.

Great defensive coach, no question.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Thanks Red

Yes, but Wolff was awful as a coach. The players tuned him out and his offensive system was terrible. Additionally, the campus didn't care about the program at all, in part because of his surly demeanor.

Great defensive coach, no question.

There is no doubting how awful Wolff was. That said, Chambers should not get credit for John Holland, and John Holland was really the only reason BU had any success this past season. I don't think Chambers was at BU long really assess how successful of a coach he was.
                                   -Red Auerbach