Author Topic: Trade Idea: Rondo for Rubio, #2, and filler  (Read 15308 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Rondo for Rubio, #2, and filler
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Can Rubio shoot? Doesn't he shoot like, 40% from the field as well and even worse when shooting off the dribble (20% i think)? Why would we want to trade our PG who knows our system, has chemistry with the guys and plays lockdown D for someone who could potentially bring the same tangibles (poor shooting to boot) but without the bonus intangibles?
- LilRip

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Can Rubio shoot? Doesn't he shoot like, 40% from the field as well and even worse when shooting off the dribble (20% i think)? Why would we want to trade our PG who knows our system, has chemistry with the guys and plays lockdown D for someone who could potentially bring the same tangibles (poor shooting to boot) but without the bonus intangibles?

Rubio is a better shooter than Rondo. Some have even described him as a good three point shooter.

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Of all the Rondo trade ideas here, this is the silliest one in my opinion. It doesn't make sense to give up a great, young point guard in Rondo for an unproven, young point guard in Rubio. I know he's hyped up and I can't wait to see him play, but he hasn't done anything yet.

Then what do you take with the #2 pick? Another guard wouldn't make sense, and the big man situation isn't exactly a hot bed of talent. Maybe Derrick Williams, but Rondo's still worth more than Rubio and Williams to me.

You don't think potentially bringing Rubio, Green, and Williams off the bench significantly improves your team? Throw some MLE money at Dalembert or Gray and hope to get lucky.

This is your starting lineup: West, Allen, Pierce, Garnett, and Gray. This is your bench: Rubio, Bradley, Green, Williams, and O'Neal. This is an improved, more athletic, and more versatile team than last year.

The only improvement this team makes over last years team is getting younger. Other than that... This team looks terrible... West running the point with the big three? They would never get the ball. Has Gray even started anywhere before? You want him to start on this team? Rubio, Bradley, and Williams providing us with a significantly improved bench? I don't think Rubio, Bradley, and Williams could make a .500 team in the D league. Absurd.

You don't think Rubio (the best European player), Bradley (someone who has already dominated the D-League defensively), and Williams (The consensus best college basketball player) could be a .500 team? Hyperbole much?

And to add, West often looked better playing with the Big Three than Rondo did.

Haha this is so laughable. West looked better with the big three? Tell that to Rondo's career high in assists along with Ray and Pierce's best shooting years.

Rubio the best European player... So was Carlos Arroyo, look where that got him. you really trust a skinny, frail, 18 year old with no experience to anchor our bench? and Bradley playing the SG position as a skinny, frail, quick but no where near ready 19 year old, and then a rookie with uncertainty and no NBA experience... You really think that qualifies as a bench on a championship caliber team? Get real man, these guys would be on the bench for the Wizards or the Pacers, I want guys with more experience, and guys that are just plain better. For a rebuilding team this might work, for a team that is still a top three team in the league, no way no how.

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Of all the Rondo trade ideas here, this is the silliest one in my opinion. It doesn't make sense to give up a great, young point guard in Rondo for an unproven, young point guard in Rubio. I know he's hyped up and I can't wait to see him play, but he hasn't done anything yet.

Then what do you take with the #2 pick? Another guard wouldn't make sense, and the big man situation isn't exactly a hot bed of talent. Maybe Derrick Williams, but Rondo's still worth more than Rubio and Williams to me.

You don't think potentially bringing Rubio, Green, and Williams off the bench significantly improves your team? Throw some MLE money at Dalembert or Gray and hope to get lucky.

This is your starting lineup: West, Allen, Pierce, Garnett, and Gray. This is your bench: Rubio, Bradley, Green, Williams, and O'Neal. This is an improved, more athletic, and more versatile team than last year.

The only improvement this team makes over last years team is getting younger. Other than that... This team looks terrible... West running the point with the big three? They would never get the ball. Has Gray even started anywhere before? You want him to start on this team? Rubio, Bradley, and Williams providing us with a significantly improved bench? I don't think Rubio, Bradley, and Williams could make a .500 team in the D league. Absurd.

You don't think Rubio (the best European player), Bradley (someone who has already dominated the D-League defensively), and Williams (The consensus best college basketball player) could be a .500 team? Hyperbole much?

With Rondo running the point during the season the Celts averaged about 100 points per 48 minutes compared to 85 with Delonte running the point. The difference in the playoffs was probably just as severe in spite of the amount of time Rondo played with a useless arm.

West playing with the big three looked good to the Heat though.

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

With Rondo running the point during the season the Celts averaged about 100 points per 48 minutes compared to 85 with Delonte running the point. The difference in the playoffs was probably just as severe in spite of the amount of time Rondo played with a useless arm.

Why did the Celtics get blown out the first two games in Miami with Rondo playing a big role? Then why did the Celtics play the next three games down to the wire the Rondo playing less of a role and West playing more?

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Haha this is so laughable. West looked better with the big three? Tell that to Rondo's career high in assists along with Ray and Pierce's best shooting years.

Rubio the best European player... So was Carlos Arroyo, look where that got him. you really trust a skinny, frail, 18 year old with no experience to anchor our bench? and Bradley playing the SG position as a skinny, frail, quick but no where near ready 19 year old, and then a rookie with uncertainty and no NBA experience... You really think that qualifies as a bench on a championship caliber team? Get real man, these guys would be on the bench for the Wizards or the Pacers, I want guys with more experience, and guys that are just plain better. For a rebuilding team this might work, for a team that is still a top three team in the league, no way no how.

So your argument for not liking Rubio as a player is that he is "skinny." That's sound logic. Only some of the greatest players ever were skinny: Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, etc, etc.

So Carlos Arroyo didn't turn out to be a great player. For one, when he was discovered nationally, he was already in his prime. He was not a 16 year old prodigy like Rubio. Have you never heard of Nowitzki, Gasol, or Parker? You realize those guys were top international players, too, right?

And the Pacers have not had a #2 pick is recent memory, so I don't see your logic here. In order for a guy like Williams to be playing on a team like the Pacers, the Pacers would have to have had a pick that high, but they haven't.

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Why did the Celtics get blown out the first two games in Miami with Rondo playing a big role? Then why did the Celtics play the next three games down to the wire the Rondo playing less of a role and West playing more?

The Celts were a minus 21  in the 22 minutes Rondo was on the bench the first two games. Two questions that might come to mind are "was it really Rondo's fault the  got blown out?" and of course "I wonder, who could have been playing the point when Rondo was on the bench?". Games 4 and 5 were closer for a while but fell apart late (Rondo wasn't in for those stretches, shockingly). The Celts were a combined +2 with Rondo playing point in those games and -16 in the 33 minutes he was out. Again, who was the pg during those minutes?

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

The Celts were a minus 21  in the 22 minutes Rondo was on the bench the first two games. Two questions that might come to mind are "was it really Rondo's fault the  got blown out?" and of course "I wonder, who could have been playing the point when Rondo was on the bench?". Games 4 and 5 were closer for a while but fell apart late (Rondo wasn't in for those stretches, shockingly). The Celts were a combined +2 with Rondo playing point in those games and -16 in the 33 minutes he was out. Again, who was the pg during those minutes?

Yes, it was Rondo's fault they got blown out. (1) Everyone said he had the biggest mismatch against Mike Bibby prior to the series, (2) he did not take advantage of it, (3) he did not penetrate the lane nor get to the foul like, (4) he put way too much strain on Pierce and Allen to play great offensive games when they are being guarded by the two best defensive players in the league.

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Yes, it was Rondo's fault they got blown out. (1) Everyone said he had the biggest mismatch against Mike Bibby prior to the series, (2) he did not take advantage of it, (3) he did not penetrate the lane nor get to the foul like, (4) he put way too much strain on Pierce and Allen to play great offensive games when they are being guarded by the two best defensive players in the league.

Haha. Which of those reasons support your main point, that Rondo's responsible for what happens to the team when he's on the bench?

Over the first 3 games Rondo averaged 11/5/10 while Bibby was going for 4/2/2. Rondo wasn't playing his best, but he was outplaying Bibby. He took a total of 10 foul shots in the first 2 games and he probably had as many FGA at the rim for the series as either of Wade or James.

I would guess this means you've given up on your argument that the team looked better with Delonte at the point than Rondo...

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Haha. Which of those reasons support your main point, that Rondo's responsible for what happens to the team when he's on the bench?

Over the first 3 games Rondo averaged 11/5/10 while Bibby was going for 4/2/2. Rondo wasn't playing his best, but he was outplaying Bibby. He took a total of 10 foul shots in the first 2 games and he probably had as many FGA at the rim for the series as either of Wade or James.

I would guess this means you've given up on your argument that the team looked better with Delonte at the point than Rondo...

No, they were better with West because the defense actually has to guard him when he is further than 5 feet from the basket.

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

No, they were better with West because the defense actually has to guard him when he is further than 5 feet from the basket.

First of all, they guard West when he's farther than 5 feet from the basket, but they still give him a lot of space on the outside. Secondly, it turns out that there are other aspects to being a point guard than having a respectable outside shot. Things like passing. Things like running an offense. In other words, things that Rondo can do one-handed better than a healthy West can do on his best day. There's a reason that Doc played Rondo more after his injury than he played West. Rondo was doing more to help the Celts win while playing with his left arm dangling by his side that West was at full strength.

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218

Off the bench? Rubio would need to start. You can't trade away Rondo for bench players. Rubio would need to make an impact as a starter for the trade to be worthwhile, but what are the chances? It just doesn't look good.

Delonte West running the point is a bad idea. He's good off the bench since he can play both guard positions and contribute in plenty of ways, but he's not a guy to run the offense on heavy minutes. Not to mention the talks of "this team needs a true point guard" would never stop all season  :P

Aaron Gray though, really? He's a garbage minutes guy.

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Is there a serious discussion going on as to whether the Rondo played better with the Big 3 than West? Come on.

This trade is a non-starter for me. No way I'm trading a top-5 player at a key position for two unproven guys (although Rubio does intrigue me).