Author Topic: Trade Idea: Rondo for Rubio, #2, and filler  (Read 15298 times)

Trade Idea: Rondo for Rubio, #2, and filler
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Rubio seems to be coming to the NBA. He would most likely be much happier playing for a better team and a bigger market. Boston is the better fit.

This seems like a good deal for both sides. The Wolves are looking for a good "younger" veteran. Rondo fits that bill.

The Celtics will be able to get younger and more athletic with the #2 pick (Williams).

A bench of Green, Williams, and West would be the best in the league.

Re: Trade Idea: Rondo for Rubio, #2, and filler
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Rubio seems to be coming to the NBA. He would most likely be much happier playing for a better team and a bigger market. Boston is the better fit.

This seems like a good deal for both sides. The Wolves are looking for a good "younger" veteran. Rondo fits that bill.

The Celtics will be able to get younger and more athletic with the #2 pick (Williams).

I think Minnesota says no.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

I agree. It's very possible. But some people on here seem to think Rondo could get you Westbrook and Ibaka, so I figured I'd throw the idea out there.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Rubio can be traded for a while, if he did in fact sign.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I agree. It's very possible. But some people on here seem to think Rondo could get you Westbrook and Ibaka, so I figured I'd throw the idea out there.
Two very different situations.

Minnesota is looking at a long rebuilding situation, they need to keep stockpiling picks and talent. Assuming they extend Kevin Love his salary combined with Rondo's would hurt their flexibility. They'd improve as a team certainly, but at this point their goal should be to stay terrible and keep drafting high.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd rather try and win a title. We're killing our chances next year to obtain two young players, neither of which are projected to be franchise players. Will either of them see an all-star game before PP retires?

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Rubio will be a bust

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Two very different situations.

Minnesota is looking at a long rebuilding situation, they need to keep stockpiling picks and talent. Assuming they extend Kevin Love his salary combined with Rondo's would hurt their flexibility. They'd improve as a team certainly, but at this point their goal should be to stay terrible and keep drafting high.

Maybe. But there have been reports that the Wolves want a leader, not younger players. At some point, you have to make a move. Just drafting lottery pick after lottery pick hardly ever works. And no good/great player is going to sign with the Wolves, ever. So cap flexibility isn't that important. Rondo, Johnson, Beasley, Love, and Milicic is a solid young team with still a lot of pieces to deal and improve.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

I'd rather try and win a title. We're killing our chances next year to obtain two young players, neither of which are projected to be franchise players. Will either of them see an all-star game before PP retires?

The problem is I don't think the Celtics have any title chances next year. Unless CP3 falls into their lap.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Very interesting idea.  I'm on the fence, but definitely very interesting.  I think Minny would rather try to stay younger (even than Rondo already is).
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The problem is I don't think the Celtics have any title chances next year. Unless CP3 falls into their lap.

I think that we were, at worst, the equals of the Heat this year with the big four healthy. I don't see why we'd go from that level to having no shot at the title without something drastic happening. And, again, you aren't proposing we trade for any sure things.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

For me, it would depend on a few things.  First, what is the filler?  If its something like Ridnour and Milicic, then I would consider it, since they both would bring important depth, and would allow the C's to trade Green for someone like Chris Kaman, and then let them use the MLE on someone like Crawford or maybe JR Smith.  

That would actually help to balance out the C's roster pretty well (assuming, as I am, that Williams can step right in, and be a solid role player off the bench), while also giving them some nice building blocks going forward.

But I just don't think it works as well for Minnesota.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
There is no way I move Rondo without a Chris Paul in return.  I don't care what the filler is.  I'm not convinced that the window is closed if we added another all-star stud that can carry a team on both ends of the floor on any given night.  Chris Paul might be the only one that can improve on what Rondo already gives us.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

For me, it would depend on a few things.  First, what is the filler?  If its something like Ridnour and Milicic, then I would consider it, since they both would bring important depth, and would allow the C's to trade Green for someone like Chris Kaman, and then let them use the MLE on someone like Crawford or maybe JR Smith.  

That would actually help to balance out the C's roster pretty well (assuming, as I am, that Williams can step right in, and be a solid role player off the bench), while also giving them some nice building blocks going forward.

But I just don't think it works as well for Minnesota.

Are Smith or Crawford really MLE players? Will there be an MLE? And is Ridnour going to get us through Chicago, Miami and a WCF team?

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
JR Smith/Crawford are absolutely MLE players.

I don't think Crawford would get a 5 year contract, but MLE type money is what he'd be offered.