Poll

Who will the Celtics Draft in the 1st Round?

Kyrie Irving
0 (0%)
Derrick Williams
1 (1.8%)
Brandon Knight
0 (0%)
Enes Kanter
0 (0%)
Jonas Valanciunas
0 (0%)
Jan Vesely
0 (0%)
Kemba Walker
1 (1.8%)
Kawhi Leonard
0 (0%)
Tristan Thompson
0 (0%)
Alec Burks
0 (0%)
Marcus Morris
0 (0%)
Klay Thompson
0 (0%)
Bismack Biyombo
0 (0%)
Markieff Morris
0 (0%)
Jimmer Fredette
0 (0%)
Donatas Motiejunas
1 (1.8%)
Darius Morris
1 (1.8%)
Chris Singleton
1 (1.8%)
Tyler Honeycutt
0 (0%)
Davis Bertans
0 (0%)
Jordan Hamilton
1 (1.8%)
Tobias Harris
0 (0%)
Josh Selby
0 (0%)
Kenneth Faried
4 (7.1%)
Jordan Williams
4 (7.1%)
Trey Thompkins
0 (0%)
Justin Harper
6 (10.7%)
Marshon Brooks
4 (7.1%)
JaJuan Johnson
6 (10.7%)
Shelvin Mack
0 (0%)
They will Trade the Pick for a Future Pick
0 (0%)
They will Trade Up in the Draft
3 (5.4%)
They will use the Pick in a Trade to Get a Player
3 (5.4%)
They will Select Someone else
0 (0%)
Nikola Mirotic
0 (0%)
Chandler Parsons
0 (0%)
Nolan Smith
0 (0%)
Jon Leuer
1 (1.8%)
Jeremy Tyler
10 (17.9%)
Malcolm Lee
0 (0%)
Kyle Singler
0 (0%)
Norris Cole
0 (0%)
Reggie Jackson
4 (7.1%)
Willie Reed
0 (0%)
Travis Leslie
0 (0%)
Cory Joseph
0 (0%)
Nikola Vucevic
4 (7.1%)
Greg Smith
0 (0%)
Andrew Goudelock
0 (0%)
David Lighty
0 (0%)
Keith Benson
0 (0%)
Jereme Richmond
0 (0%)
Jamie Skeen
0 (0%)
Matthew Bryan-Amaning
0 (0%)
Demetri McCamey
0 (0%)
Vernon Macklin
0 (0%)
Ravern Johnson
0 (0%)
Gary Flowers
0 (0%)
Scotty Hopson
0 (0%)
DeAndre Liggins
1 (1.8%)
Chris Wright
0 (0%)
Justin Hurtt
0 (0%)
E'twaun Moore
0 (0%)
Robin Benzing
0 (0%)
Matt O'Donnell
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: POLL: Who will the Celtics Draft in the 1st Round?  (Read 10108 times)

POLL: Who will the Celtics Draft in the 1st Round?
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:30:40 AM »

Offline eighteen

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
The Celtics have the 25th Pick.
Top 30 Prospects in order of Mock Draft Selection Via NBADraft.net.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:37:13 AM by eighteen »

Re: POLL: Who will the Celtics Draft in the 1st Round?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
The thing is that where we're picking, you almost need to include the first 10 picks of the second round as well.  It's the really the guys from 20-40 in most mocks that we should be concerned about.   Someone from 15-20 may slip to us, but I'd be surprised if any lottery guys do.
do it

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »

Offline eighteen

• Payton Pritchard
I have added ALL of the Top 60 Draft Picks.

The thing is that where we're picking, you almost need to include the first 10 picks of the second round as well.  It's the really the guys from 20-40 in most mocks that we should be concerned about.   Someone from 15-20 may slip to us, but I'd be surprised if any lottery guys do.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »

Offline eighteen

• Payton Pritchard
I really think we should gamble on Jeremy Tyler (IF) we are to draft a player with intention of keeping them at #25.

The guy has been through a lot mentally and that means a lot to maturity with this group of veterans. The guy was a great prospect and he has been humbled. He is a Big body and you can really go wrong with a big strong asset.

We are also going to need a PF to fill in the void of BBD and KG's inevitable departure.
So many reasons to go big in the draft.

Original Article on Jeremy Tyler in SLAM in early 2009.
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/04/do-you-jeremy/

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
no idea.  my wild guess was between Darius Morris and JaJuan Johnson.  Guessed Johnson.  Mabybe should have guessed Jackson....

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I don't know WHO the bigs wigs will want to draft first. But, here is somebody I wish they would take a peak at.

I like a mid major school forward 6'9" 265pd ruff and tuff guy, named FRANK HASSEL from OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY in Norfolk , VA.  Tuff as nails inside scorer and rebounder. 10X faster than Perk and can make his freethrows. Anthony Mason like.

I wish they would give him a work out. I think KG would like his rebounding and attitude inside.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:24:54 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't know WHO the bigs wigs will want to draft first. But, here is somebody I wish they would take a peak at.

I like a mid major school forward 6'9" 265pd ruff and tuff guy, named FRANK HASSEL from OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY in Norfolk , VA.  Tuff as nails inside scorer and rebounder. 10X faster than Perk and can make his freethrows. Anthony Mason like.

I wish they would give him a work out. I think KG would like his rebounding and attitude inside.  

I'd love to see Boston grab Hassell. ODU is right around the corner from where I used to live at.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
"Some guy who will barely play and have little impact on the future of the franchise."
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Danny worked him out today with the other PFs
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:22 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Draft record is more mixed than I would like; but there are some intriguing prospects. Would like to move up and get. Reggie Jackson and a Big. Here is recent history.

2005:
18. Gerald Green (no longer in NBA)

2006:
18. Rajon Rondo (draft of the decade)

2007: (weak draft)
5. Jeff Green (became Ray)
32. Gabe Pruitt (no longer in NBA) over Marc Gasol, Ramon Sessions
35. Glen Davis (great value)

2008:
30. J. R. Giddens (no longer in NBA) over Chris Douglas-Roberts, Mario Chalmers and Sonny Weems

2009:
58. Lester Hudson (no longer in NBA) over Wes Matthews (undrafted)

2010:
19. Avery Bradley, over James Anderson, Damion James, Landry Fields, Greivis Vasquez
52. Luke Harrangody

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:04:34 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Draft record is more mixed than I would like; but there are some intriguing prospects. Would like to move up and get. Reggie Jackson and a Big. Here is recent history.

2005:

2006:

2008:
30. J. R. Giddens (no longer in NBA) over Chris Douglas-Roberts, Mario Chalmers and Sonny Weems

2009:

2010:
19. Avery Bradley, over James Anderson, Damion James, Landry Fields, Greivis Vasquez
52. Luke Harrangody

This is why the draft is interesting to me.  There are always misses.  Sometimes the misses deserve a caveat because of the amount of time needed to see results, combined with the ability to sign a missed player later on after the painful development stage.  But some misses hurt.  Landry Fields tailed off and is no star, but missing on him kind of hurts.  Missing Chalmers doesn't hurt despite that he's become a good role player... just not enough impact.  DeAndre Jordan hurts alot despite the long wait for him to blossom.  Weems is a good player.  Wes Mathews would have been a hell of a pick.  Hasn't Jordan Crawford, recently considered an NBA nobody, suddenly proven to be a major miss, or are there monstrous holes in his game that negate his clearly great scoring ability?  I find it very interesting to scour the draft sites with an eye on this year's draft misses.  Unfortunately I don't watch enough college ball to develop my own personal attachment to this or that potentially underestimated player....

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
"Some guy who will barely play and have little impact on the future of the franchise."
I hate having to agree, but I can barely remember the last Celts draft pick that played and played well. I guess it was 2007

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:33 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I hope not, we need some young blood.  A couple years ago, Chicago grabbed Taj Gibson right around where we're picking.  Someone like that, who might not ever be a star but who can step in and give productive minutes in the frontcourt (and run with Rondo) would be absolutely ideal.  

Don't draft a shooting guard unless you're trading Ray; Delonte and Wafer can fill in behind Jesus.  Draft a PF or a C, KG needs the rest more than either Pierce or Ray, and we've got virtually no other bigs.

You're going to get sick of me talking about Gibson, but a player with his attributes is exactly what we need.  

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:16:26 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yep, probably right.

That said, I selected Darius Morris from the list.  I'd put Marshon Brooks as my #2 guess.  Like most people on here, I know little about most of the players, and a bit more about a handful of them.  So I'm just shooting in the dark, really.

But it strikes me that given that we need bodies at the PF and C, Danny will probably instead select a PG or SG ;)

(oh, and not that I WANT DA to select either of those players, that's just who I think he'll select).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:03 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

2005:

2006:

2008:

2009:

2010:
52. Luke Harrangody

There's a lot of debate about how to "rank" how an organization drafts, which I wont get into (for example, if you want to "ding" the Celtics for passing on Wes Matthews, you have to "ding" 30 other teams as well). 

But I would point out that you have missed a few names (Semih Erden, Leon Powe, Ryan Gomes), and if you include 2004, things look better (Al Jefferson, Delonte West, Tony Allen).

Celtics fan for life.