Star Wars prequel
1 (1.2%)
Lord of the Rings
24 (29.3%)
Matrix
2 (2.4%)
The Fockers
0 (0%)
Indiana Jones - does the 4th disqualify it?
4 (4.9%)
Back to the Future
2 (2.4%)
Ace Ventura
0 (0%)
The Addams Family
0 (0%)
Austin Powers
1 (1.2%)
The Bourne Films
1 (1.2%)
Crocodile Dundee
0 (0%)
High School Musical
2 (2.4%)
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
1 (1.2%)
Look Who's Talking
0 (0%)
Mad Max
2 (2.4%)
The Mighty Ducks
2 (2.4%)
Kevin Costner's 3 Baseball movies
0 (0%)
The Mummy
0 (0%)
The Naked Gun
0 (0%)
Oh God
0 (0%)
Predator
1 (1.2%)
RoboCop
0 (0%)
Rush Hour
1 (1.2%)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
1 (1.2%)
Toy Story
5 (6.1%)
Beverly Hills Cop
1 (1.2%)
Big Momma
0 (0%)
Jurassic Park
2 (2.4%)
Terminator
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: What's the best trilogy ever?  (Read 25981 times)

Re: What's the best trilogy ever?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Father, Son and the Holy Ghost. ;)
I've never felt the need to state that I'm giving somebody a Tommy Point while I'm actually doing it before, but in this case, TP.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've never felt the need to state that I'm giving somebody a Tommy Point while I'm actually doing it before, but in this case, TP.

Back atcha, MG. :)

Last I heard, the Jurassic Park thing was a go, and "unlike anything seen before".

Link is here.

"Super 8" is out this summer, too, and looks awesome! (June 10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpzUCA5i6zY

There's a thread to post coming attractions/sequels, etc. ... I'll bump it.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
In my opinion, there's only ever been one trilogy on the list worth even talking about:   Star Wars.  I don't like Star Wars that much, but it HAD to be a trilogy, to be at all.    The most overrated, in my view, is LOTR.  The great thing about Lord of the Rings is that it allows you to see all the things you formerly had to imagine.  But that's not what I want in a movie version of a book, especially such a well-known book.  I want an INTERPRETATION.  To me, LOTR is not an interpretation.    It's just a very, very expensive and very well done visualization.  

My personal favorite trilogy is probably Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Mothers

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
sssssss clarisssssssse
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
No mention for John Gulager's -- "Feast" Trilogy?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »

Kiorrik

Nobody has yet mentioned the Terminator 1-3 trilogy.  I don't even really consider Salvation a part of that sequence.  The Terminators and the Godfathers would be my top 2 trilogies.  I can't believe the Mummy trilogy is even an option haha.  Mummy 1 or 2 was the only movie I've ever walked out of in a movie theater in my life.
Hahaha, I went to Scorpion King with a friend of mine and nearly did the same thing. The reason we didn't, was because we were tired as hell from school and work that week, so we just sat there with our legs up in a cinema with just about 10 people in there! lol that was one bad film :)

Worst film I've ever seen though has got to be "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow", though "seen" is to be taken lightly: I fell asleep after about 10 minutes and didn't wake up until my girlfriend nudged me afterwards.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »

Kiorrik

Btw, how many movies do you know that were written by a professor at Harvard, who had been involved in two world wars and was able to bounce his ideas off of another great writer (Lewis, his friend and writer of The Chronicles of Narnia).

In terms of sheer life experience (source of many stories) and grasp of the written word, that's just astounding.

Not to mention the way it was adapted by the film industry, by a whole cast & crew utterly dedicated to delivering something extraordinary. It took years to shoot everything, and I doubt there is any film out there that has more hours of labor invested into it than this one.

That's hard to top, imo.

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If Godfather, Part 3 was mediocre, this trilogy would compete for the best of all-time.  But '3' was painfully awful -- story, acting, everything.   As a result, the best trilogy ever is Lord of the Rings.  It beats G-father soundly, and the rest by a mile.

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Nobody has yet mentioned the Terminator 1-3 trilogy.  I don't even really consider Salvation a part of that sequence.  The Terminators and the Godfathers would be my top 2 trilogies.  I can't believe the Mummy trilogy is even an option haha.  Mummy 1 or 2 was the only movie I've ever walked out of in a movie theater in my life.
Hahaha, I went to Scorpion King with a friend of mine and nearly did the same thing. The reason we didn't, was because we were tired as hell from school and work that week, so we just sat there with our legs up in a cinema with just about 10 people in there! lol that was one bad film :)

Worst film I've ever seen though has got to be "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow", though "seen" is to be taken lightly: I fell asleep after about 10 minutes and didn't wake up until my girlfriend nudged me afterwards.

Starship Troopers was one of the worst I've paid for.

as for the trilogy list maybe Jaws could be added (though the 2nd and 3rd were silly).

There are some that went beyond 3...do those count (Rocky...Lethal Weapon)
Yup

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Btw, how many movies do you know that were written by a professor at Harvard, who had been involved in two world wars and was able to bounce his ideas off of another great writer (Lewis, his friend and writer of The Chronicles of Narnia).

In terms of sheer life experience (source of many stories) and grasp of the written word, that's just astounding.

Not to mention the way it was adapted by the film industry, by a whole cast & crew utterly dedicated to delivering something extraordinary. It took years to shoot everything, and I doubt there is any film out there that has more hours of labor invested into it than this one.

That's hard to top, imo.

Great points, K, (TP). And I love the Lewis mention. Some of my favorite reading of all-time was the "Out of the Silent Planet" Trilogy with "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength", which I personally enjoyed even more than the Narnia series.

Both C.S. Lewis and his buddy Tolkein were so far ahead of their time ... it's hard to believe one period sprouted so much genius, (like the Renaissance Period in art). I've always wanted to see that Trilogy put to film, but it's just not as popular, especially with the younger crowd like "Narnia" was.

I'd also love to see the Foundation Series made into movies ... they would make for an incredible cinematic application, (as would most of Asimov's work). I thought they would continue with "I, Robot" sequels, but I haven't seen mention of it.

I think the only other Asimov put to film was "Fantastic Voyage", and yet he is the single most prolific writer in the history of the human race, (or did L. Ron Hubbard pass him? That computer algorithm guy doesn't count, IMHO).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:16:18 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I went with another fantasy trilogy -- Lord of the Rings.

;D

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
or just pick one from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_movie_trilogies

List itself made me laugh, especially listing Oh God with LOTR or The Godfather.

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
In my opinion, there's only ever been one trilogy on the list worth even talking about:   Star Wars.  I don't like Star Wars that much, but it HAD to be a trilogy, to be at all.    The most overrated, in my view, is LOTR.  The great thing about Lord of the Rings is that it allows you to see all the things you formerly had to imagine.  But that's not what I want in a movie version of a book, especially such a well-known book.  I want an INTERPRETATION.  To me, LOTR is not an interpretation.    It's just a very, very expensive and very well done visualization.  

My personal favorite trilogy is probably Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Mothers

All about preference.  Personally, if it's a good book, I'm completely fine with the movie being 100% identical.  Most of the times they just screw it up when they try to do their own thing.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I went with another fantasy trilogy -- Lord of the Rings.

;D

A Prayer For Samwise

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the ring will Frodo keep,

If he should die before trip's end,

Destroy the ring, must Frodo's friend.

If he should fail, the Shire's doomed,

And Sauron's eye, (no more entombed),

Will see it's way to mankind's end,

So Samwise must this quest defend.

Amen.

;)