Star Wars prequel
1 (1.2%)
Lord of the Rings
24 (29.3%)
Matrix
2 (2.4%)
The Fockers
0 (0%)
Indiana Jones - does the 4th disqualify it?
4 (4.9%)
Back to the Future
2 (2.4%)
Ace Ventura
0 (0%)
The Addams Family
0 (0%)
Austin Powers
1 (1.2%)
The Bourne Films
1 (1.2%)
Crocodile Dundee
0 (0%)
High School Musical
2 (2.4%)
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
1 (1.2%)
Look Who's Talking
0 (0%)
Mad Max
2 (2.4%)
The Mighty Ducks
2 (2.4%)
Kevin Costner's 3 Baseball movies
0 (0%)
The Mummy
0 (0%)
The Naked Gun
0 (0%)
Oh God
0 (0%)
Predator
1 (1.2%)
RoboCop
0 (0%)
Rush Hour
1 (1.2%)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
1 (1.2%)
Toy Story
5 (6.1%)
Beverly Hills Cop
1 (1.2%)
Big Momma
0 (0%)
Jurassic Park
2 (2.4%)
Terminator
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: What's the best trilogy ever?  (Read 26013 times)

Re: What's the best trilogy ever?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's not even a fair competition.

Of all the options on this list, LOTR is the only one that was written as one story before being made into 3 movies.

With that sort of advantage nothing even comes close.

Star Wars was written that way too

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This is juuusssstttt me, but in terms of defending Star Wars  sometimes people forget or take for granted that essentially Star Wars set the standard for a looonnnggg time in special effects.

Various special effects had to be invented for that film.    The new standard that was set was the Jurassic Park dinosaurs.   Lucas himself admitted when he saw those dinosaurs he knew he could do the prequels.

But this is the thing.  Empire Strikes back still looks just as good and just as real as LOTR, Jurassic Park, the Star Wars prequels, and the Matrix and that movie is from 1982.

They did things they might not do today.  The reason the snow looks real and Luke looks frozen is because they filmed in Sweden or something. It really is real snow.  Yoda looks really alive because he was a muppet giving more texture than digital Yoda.  He can't jump, but he can scowl. 

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
It's not even a fair competition.

Of all the options on this list, LOTR is the only one that was written as one story before being made into 3 movies.

With that sort of advantage nothing even comes close.

Star Wars was written that way too
I think you are mistaken here, not that it matters all the much. Star Wars was originally a dumbed down screenplay that was easier for studio execs to understand--the original was too complicated and wasn't coherent enough to unfold in one movie. Lucas simplified the premise (which explains why is was poorly written) and mirrored the story arc of a Kurosawa film called "The Hidden Fortress" (which also explains the inclusion of The Force and lightsaber duels, much like sword wielding samurai with a similar code of honor). After the success of the first movie, he penned the ideas for 3 full trilogies to tell the complete story and hired screenwriters to complete and flush out Empire, while hiring Irvin Kershner to direct. So actually no, none of the Star Wars original trilogy was written like LOTR. The prequel trilogy was, but not the original. It also leaves the door open for the final trilogy to conclude the story, if that ever happens.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
This is juuusssstttt me, but in terms of defending Star Wars  sometimes people forget or take for granted that essentially Star Wars set the standard for a looonnnggg time in special effects.

Various special effects had to be invented for that film.    The new standard that was set was the Jurassic Park dinosaurs.   Lucas himself admitted when he saw those dinosaurs he knew he could do the prequels.

But this is the thing.  Empire Strikes back still looks just as good and just as real as LOTR, Jurassic Park, the Star Wars prequels, and the Matrix and that movie is from 1982.

They did things they might not do today.  The reason the snow looks real and Luke looks frozen is because they filmed in Sweden or something. It really is real snow.  Yoda looks really alive because he was a muppet giving more texture than digital Yoda.  He can't jump, but he can scowl. 

Looking real is but one element--the good humor of the characters in Star Wars borders on frivolity.  When you watch LOTR think of a Band Of Brothers -- during World War II Tolkien set out from his community of small every day people to battle evil--they were doing their duty for country and community but most of all they did their duty out of camaraderie--for each other..--the serious nature of LOTR dwarf's Star Wars, Jurassic, Matrix --it is fantasy, sci-fiction but also the history, humanity and the truth of war.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »

Offline homericepisode

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19

Well what are asking with the op? What is the best trilogy or which is the most ground breaking or what? Even then LOTR is probably #1. Look I love Star Wars and it's very nostalgic for me--1st movie I ever saw (in a big theater in Okinawa, Japan when I was 3 yrs old), and I will agree that it was groundbreaking for the times. In some ways, Industrial Light & Magic did for the movies what the Beatles did for the recording industry (doing things for the first time like mixing entire tracks played backwards while recording real time over them and including "non traditional" instruments like the Sitar to name a couple). And yes, the movies are timeless (if you can get over the bad screen writing).

But, to compare Empire to the Matrix or LOTR is questionable in terms of effects. The Matrix was a fantastic movie (but a horrible trilogy), and looks waaay better than the stop motion animation of Snow Walkers in front of a painted landscape and foam snow mountains. If you can't tell how antiquated this is, I'm not sure what to say. But I respect your opinion.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 02:11:40 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
1. Lord of the Rings - greatest movies of all time

2. Star Wars - most epic tale of good vs evil (I'm one of the very few that actually preferred the new ones, but that's probably because I'm too young to have been able to appreciate the original)

3. Jurassic Park - of course the first was the best, but overall it's a truly classic series

Honorable mention:  Back to the Future - didn't really like the 3rd but 1 and 2 were genius
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Nobody has yet mentioned the Terminator 1-3 trilogy.  I don't even really consider Salvation a part of that sequence.  The Terminators and the Godfathers would be my top 2 trilogies.  I can't believe the Mummy trilogy is even an option haha.  Mummy 1 or 2 was the only movie I've ever walked out of in a movie theater in my life.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I voted for Star Wars even though I know it's LOTOR. All Star Wars fans secretly have to admit that Jedi is a pretty bad movie.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
To quote Kevin Smith, There is only one trilogy. LOTR is a bunch og guys walking around for 3 movies.  ;D ;)

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i voted for Star Wars (the original trilogy of course) but i think it`s for sentimental reasons.

I see no love for Godfather and Matrix ....
I can understand it for matrix cause the last one failed to fill the expectations (at least mine) but godfather is a masterpiece based exclusively on the actors and the storyline and not special fx

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
When all is said and done Cars 123

Props to shrek 1 2 21/5 and 3 and 4

p.s. yesterday i bough the first cars from cars 2 to my cough cough to my kids collection
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Well what are asking with the op? What is the best trilogy or which is the most ground breaking or what? Even then LOTR is probably #1. Look I love Star Wars and it's very nostalgic for me--1st movie I ever saw (in a big theater in Okinawa, Japan when I was 3 yrs old), and I will agree that it was groundbreaking for the times. In some ways, Industrial Light & Magic did for the movies what the Beatles did for the recording industry (doing things for the first time like mixing entire tracks played backwards while recording real time over them and including "non traditional" instruments like the Sitar to name a couple). And yes, the movies are timeless (if you can get over the bad screen writing).

But, to compare Empire to the Matrix or LOTR is questionable in terms of effects. The Matrix was a fantastic movie (but a horrible trilogy), and looks waaay better than the stop motion animation of Snow Walkers in front of a painted landscape and foam snow mountains. If you can't tell how antiquated this is, I'm not sure what to say. But I respect your opinion.
There are definitely some moments in probably all Star Wars movies that look pretty fake.  But that happens in lots of sci-fi films.  But there are tons of things that look just as good or better.  The Rancor for example looked as real as any Jurassic dinosaur, more real that the robo walker things in Matrix and probably more real than the Balrog in LOTRs.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »

Offline Kiwicelt

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I voted the Godfather Trilogy. Superb acting, great script and fantastic casting (with the exception of the third).

I've got somewhere a vhs copy of the 1st two movies in chronological order with about 30 min of film that didn't make it to the original cuts....must convert it to DVD someday.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Father, Son and the Holy Ghost. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Does anybody know if they are still making a new Jurassic Park trilogy or no?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale