Author Topic: Emerson College Hires Jim O'Brien! (not THAT one, the other one, but still!!!)  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:42:10 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Emerson College Hires Jim O'Brien!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think Jim's nba days are probably done after the pacers looked a lot better after firing him. 

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:04 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:27:57 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think that's the wrong Jim O'Brien, Redz, although I may be an idiot.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Yeah, it's definitely not O'bie.  I can't remember all of O'bie coaching history before Boston, but I know he wasn't at Ohio State in 2004.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Yes, this is not the Jim O'Brien that coached the Celtics, but I don't think that is what Redz was intimating. It is, however, suprising that a guy of this stature will be coaching Emerson.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »

Offline birdbrady

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 74
actually that is a big step up.  That's not the Celtics Jim O'Brien but that's the BC-Ohio State Jim O'Brien.  The one who took Scoonie Penn with him to OSU, had Michael Redd, etc etc.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:10:02 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
*Our* Jim O'Brien will be lucky to be coaching a 7th-grade JV team this coming season. 

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm an Emerson alum and I'm disappointed to see them hiring an ethics-challenged coach, presumably because he's a bigger-program guy than they could expect to get otherwise. The school's not about to become a basketball powerhouse anyway.

Has the new president stepped in yet, and would this be his decision rather than Liebergott's?

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This Jim O'Brien is a bit of a scumbag. 

Didn't exactly leave BC & Ohio State under the best of terms. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm an Emerson alum and I'm disappointed to see them hiring an ethics-challenged coach, presumably because he's a bigger-program guy than they could expect to get otherwise. The school's not about to become a basketball powerhouse anyway.

Has the new president stepped in yet, and would this be his decision rather than Liebergott's?

Oh, it's definitely a name dropping hire.  Sort of odd for a D3 school to try to make a splash in that regard.  I just find it amazing that the school has a legitimate athletic program at all.  When I was there pretty much anyone could walk on and play a varsity sport.  It was a joke.  I played hoops for a season and a half there, and I more than likely would not have made my high school team if I wasn't too busy covering it for the town paper! 

We were brutal.

I'm not sure about Liebergott.  I'm very much out of touch with the school.  They came into a bunch of money right after I graduated.  She did an amazing job growing the school, but to my view also sucked a lot of the soul out of it (I guess that happens with growth). 

Anyhow, she took over for Koenig while I was there.  The old president was going to move the school to Lawrence - which would have been a huge mistake.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Oh, it's definitely a name dropping hire.  Sort of odd for a D3 school to try to make a splash in that regard.  I just find it amazing that the school has a legitimate athletic program at all.  When I was there pretty much anyone could walk on and play a varsity sport.  It was a joke.  I played hoops for a season and a half there, and I more than likely would not have made my high school team if I wasn't too busy covering it for the town paper! 

We were brutal.

I'm not sure about Liebergott.  I'm very much out of touch with the school.  They came into a bunch of money right after I graduated.  She did an amazing job growing the school, but to my view also sucked a lot of the soul out of it (I guess that happens with growth). 

Anyhow, she took over for Koenig while I was there.  The old president was going to move the school to Lawrence - which would have been a huge mistake.

Yes, her cross-the-Common relocation of the campus was actually a very good and shrewd move.  I know the new guy is coming in and she's been feted with various retirement celebrations, but this basketball move isn't something I'd want to claim if I were their president.