Author Topic: Von Trier "persona non grata" at Cannes after Nazi comments  (Read 6490 times)

Re: Von Trier "persona non grata" at Cannes after Nazi comments
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
i don’t know who this guy is. but i stopped watching Mel Gibson movies because of his racist comments.

Seriously.  That's the only thing that will affect these idiots outward hatred for our way of life.  Stop buying their freaking product.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Wow. And all Kobe did was use a sexual slur and look at the grief he caught. Film industry companies should be distancing themselves from him as fast as they can.

Why?  With human Hollywood Anti-American/ Castro/Chavez/Name-your-favorite-murderous-dictator-loving scum like Penn, Glover, Moore, Stone, Maher, Dreyfuss, Baldwin, Cruise, Spielberg, etc nauseating etc making millions producing horrible product....Cannes fits right in.

If you paint with a broader brush next time, you could look even more foolish.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Wow. And all Kobe did was use a sexual slur and look at the grief he caught. Film industry companies should be distancing themselves from him as fast as they can.

Why?  With human Hollywood Anti-American/ Castro/Chavez/Name-your-favorite-murderous-dictator-loving scum like Penn, Glover, Moore, Stone, Maher, Dreyfuss, Baldwin, Cruise, Spielberg, etc nauseating etc making millions producing horrible product....Cannes fits right in.

Perhaps I should narrow it down to these and the others you idolize?

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Lars is a truthfull reverse tron'esk real life iteration of a Internet Troll.

Devoid of enough talent to make propper USA marketed movies, he does this to gain attention (and to great effect i might add) the only thing different here from the 100's of other times he has done this is the subject that he brought forth this time, not in the manner he did it or why he did it.

I do believe you are to be held accountable for your words and as such an apology in this matter means little, if he truthfully believes him self to be a Nazi, then so let him be treated as such.

When he's not completly bonkers, he is something that a dane can talk about with pride (allthough a very small amount) but when he does things in a manner such as this your left with nothing but national shame.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
Honestly.. I think discussing Von Trier and his statements, in an overall American context (which I'd claim CelticsBlog is), a lot of understanding is lost already at the name.

Von Trier makes himself look like an ass, something which I think he truly enjoys. His actual statement is rather harmless - If you want to look for something malicious, it's not hard to spot, and not hard to take out of context either. But that is what it is. He made it clear that he was joking - and even though it for many file under very bad taste, I think 'banning' him from the festival is rather over the top. But I guess I'm in the minority, especially here, when I don't think Von Triers 'humor' (or attempt to be humorous) can be understood properly by anyone, with little to no prior knowledge to the person and situation.

But I guess his mission, by gaining so much publicity, is well accomplished.

(Also, I guess this is the perfect thread to spot the Danes on CelticsBlog, nice one ACF ;))

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 07:25:18 PM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
Von Trier's comments are despicable, even though he is a great director though, arguably the greatest contemporary director. 

But folks living in a country like the US, which has a long history of heinous and monstrous imperial projects, including recent imperial wars, which no one seems even to be embarrassed about, do not exactly have much  moral standing criticizing someone making monstrously inappropriate jokes about Nazis. 

What a flaming jerk, though.  Galliano at least had the excuse of being very, very drunk at the time, to the point of probably not even knowing what he was saying.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Von Trier's comments are despicable, even though he is a great director though, arguably the greatest contemporary director.  

But folks living in a country like the US, which has a long history of heinous and monstrous imperial projects, including recent imperial wars, which no one seems even to be embarrassed about, do not exactly have much  moral standing criticizing someone making monstrously inappropriate jokes about Nazis.  

What a flaming jerk, though.  Galliano at least had the excuse of being very, very drunk at the time, to the point of probably not even knowing what he was saying.

Is the U.S. saintly? No.

Have we engaged in mass extermination to purify our nation?

I feel I'm on a higher moral to Nazis as an American (not to mention a Jew of European descent), and thus worthy of an opinion in the matter.

...and honestly I'm not even that bent out of shape about his comments (they're just words stated by an idiot looking for a reaction...I don;t fear the guy starting a new Nazi regime or anything).  I do, however, resent not being entitled to judge.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:21:19 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 08:26:07 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

Perhaps I should narrow it down to these and the others you idolize?

How would you know who I idolize? How is that question even relevant?