Author Topic: Von Trier "persona non grata" at Cannes after Nazi comments  (Read 6494 times)

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
http://www.indiewire.com/article/lars_von_trier_declared_persona_non_grata_at_cannes_effective_immediately/

Personally, I can't take anything the man says seriously. He's been known to provoke for most of his life and this is just another example. He makes great movies but he should just learn to shut his mouth. Maybe he just forgot to take his happy pills.

Thoughts?

Re: Von Trier "persona non grata" at Cannes after Nazi comments
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.indiewire.com/article/lars_von_trier_declared_persona_non_grata_at_cannes_effective_immediately/

Personally, I can't take anything the man says seriously. He's been known to provoke for most of his life and this is just another example. He makes great movies but he should just learn to shut his mouth. Maybe he just forgot to take his happy pills.

Thoughts?
Had to look this guy up just to know who he is. Still don't know him from a guy sitting on the end of the bench on some Russian team in the Euroleague.

That said, anyone saying they have sympathy for Hitler and are a Nazi, can join their sympathetic friend in hell, as far as I am concerned.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Here is the trailer to one of his movies, Nick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPllm4WEXw

He always says stuff like this and people take him seriously. I think he has a hard time taking himself seriously. He's a fool for saying stuff like that but many people are also fools for actually believing that he means what he's saying. Maybe this will make him think twice in the future. Or maybe it won't. He's an enigma, to say the least.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Here is the trailer to one of his movies, Nick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPllm4WEXw

He always says stuff like this and people take him seriously. I think he has a hard time taking himself seriously. He's a fool for saying stuff like that but many people are also fools for actually believing that he means what he's saying. Maybe this will make him think twice in the future. Or maybe it won't. He's an enigma, to say the least.

I have never seen one movie of Nicole Kidman's that I like and this one doesn't look good either. Oh well.

Whether the guy was for real or just trying to draw attention to himself, either way, I don't like him. Saying you have sympathy for Hitler or Stalin or Adi Amin is just really, really stupid and he deserves everything bad that comes his way for making such comments. Well, except if someone hurts or kills him, that's not cool.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Is his latest film about Nazis? How did he get on that subject to begin with?  What a strange dude.  Poor Kirstin Dunst.  She didn't seem to know what was happening.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
I can see where you're coming from and I certainly don't disagree with you, Nick. My point is just that I don't know why they take him seriously anymore. He is certainly not a role model. But for him (I guess) bad PR is better than no PR.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 02:19:51 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Speaking of Cannes... Tree of Life looks like it could be an ALL-TIME CLASSIC.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I am not sure that if my daughter wasn't a film nut I would even know who Lars Von Trier is-- my daughter's take is that he was spoofing trying to make a comment on the other director's (Susanne Biers) films.  It is hard to believe that someone who would go so far as to make The Idiots could ever say something about being a Nazi and be taken seriously.  But some jokes are just not funny.

He does try to push the boundaries.  I do think Dogville is not just good but a great movie>
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:28:22 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:04 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

You did see that Tree of Life was booed by half the audience and cheered by half the audience--trailer looks incredible but some say story is undeveloped  just one beautiful picture after another.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Is his latest film about Nazis? How did he get on that subject to begin with?  What a strange dude.  Poor Kirstin Dunst.  She didn't seem to know what was happening.

Like I said, I think he forgot to take his pills   ;D

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

You did see that Tree of Life was booed by half the audience and cheered by half the audience--trailer looks incredible but some say story is undeveloped  just one beautiful picture after another.

After his comments, Cannes deserves the tree of woe.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
The actual quote:

The comments in question came in a pres conference after the Danish auteur, so often provocative with his comments, debuted his new Kirsten Dunst-starring film, "Melanocholia," to mostly rave reviews.

"The only thing I can tell you is that I thought I was a Jew for a long time and was very happy being a Jew, then later on came [Danish and Jewish director] Susanne Bier, and suddenly I wasn't so happy about being a Jew. That was a joke. Sorry. But it turned out that I was not a Jew. If I'd been a Jew, then I would be a second-wave Jew, a kind of a new-wave Jew, but anyway, I really wanted to be a Jew and then I found out that I was really a Nazi, because my family is German. And that also gave me some pleasure. So, I, what can I say? I understand Hitler. I think he did some wrong things but I can see him sitting in his bunker. I'm saying that I think I understand the man. He is not what we could call a good guy, but yeah, I understand much about him and I sympathize with him ... But come on! I'm not for the Second World War. And I'm not against Jews. No, not even Susanne Bier. I am very much for them. As much as Israelis are a pain in the ass. How do I get out of this sentence? Okay, I am a Nazi. As for the art, I'm for Speer. Albert Speer I liked. He was also one of God's best children. He has a talent that ... Okay, enough.

"

While his sly smile and deadpan delivery clued the assembled press into the fact that he was kidding -- though he has said in the past that he admires the Nazi aesthetic -- the apology wasn't enough for Cannes, or for the Argentinian distributor for his film, which also announced that it was distancing itself from von Trier on Thursday.

“In view of the unacceptable statements expressed by filmmaker Lars Von Trier at today’s press conference in the Cannes Film Festival and his evident Nazi declaration - which is offensive for the Jewish people and human kind in general, Distribution Company SA, owner of the distribution rights for the film Melancholia in the Southern Cone, has decided to cancel the contract that linked it to the film.

We clearly condemn Mr. Lars Von Trier’s statements and will not support or release his film in the country.”

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Wow. And all Kobe did was use a sexual slur and look at the grief he caught. Film industry companies should be distancing themselves from him as fast as they can.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Wow. And all Kobe did was use a sexual slur and look at the grief he caught. Film industry companies should be distancing themselves from him as fast as they can.

Why?  With human Hollywood Anti-American/ Castro/Chavez/Name-your-favorite-murderous-dictator-loving scum like Penn, Glover, Moore, Stone, Maher, Dreyfuss, Baldwin, Cruise, Spielberg, etc nauseating etc making millions producing horrible product....Cannes fits right in.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
i don’t know who this guy is. but i stopped watching Mel Gibson movies because of his racist comments.