Author Topic: Win it all next year and put ourselves in full rebuild mode: Trade with Phoenix  (Read 8675 times)

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Far too risky placing your hopes on Steve Nash, who is going to be 38 next season.  He's in great shape, but he's one back or leg injury away from being done.

If you trade Rondo, it's got to be for somebody who can be a fixture on the team for the long term.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Far too risky placing your hopes on Steve Nash, who is going to be 38 next season.  He's in great shape, but he's one back or leg injury away from being done.

If you trade Rondo, it's got to be for somebody who can be a fixture on the team for the long term.

Or ... for someone who greatly enhances your chances at a title next season. 

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Two quick notes:

1) I'd consider this trade.  If defenses couldn't sag off of anyone, the Big Three would still be very, very dangerous. 

2) I think if we're going to get players at the MLE this year, I think we may have to readjust our philosophy.  In the past, we got aging stars who wanted one last shot at a title.  At this point, those players are probably better served going to Miami or somewhere else. 

We might do better with reclamation projects of guys in their late 20s, looking to reestablish their reputations.  The sell here over Miami is that with in Boston, with the aging core, they'll get more opportunities to play and put up numbers. 

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

And Steve Nash does that . . . if he's completely healthy for the playoffs.

Problem is, you could have said the very same thing about Shaq. 

Trading a young All-Star point guard (very limited though he may be) for a 38 year old is just not a good idea.

- Doc Rivers

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Trading a young All-Star point guard (very limited though he may be) for a 38 year old is just not a good idea.

There is a very large difference between the health and injury proneness of Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal.

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
this trade would have intrigued me earlier in the season, but no.... we need to get younger to contend out in the East. The EC playoffs are proving this.

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

There is a very large difference between the health and injury proneness of Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal.

Agreed.  Still, not worth the risk.  Even though Steve Nash keeps himself in great shape, the risk of basically getting a half season or 2/3 of a season out of Steve Nash in return for Rajon Rondo is simply not worth it.

- Doc Rivers

Offline Who

• James Naismith
As a note -- Steve Nash has not even missed 10 games in a single season in the last 10 years.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is Nash really the best we could do by trading our best asset? I know we get Gortat also, but I am not blown away by him. If we are trading Rondo, I really think we need to find a way to get CP3.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Boston, as a cold city, does not draw NBA players. 

laffs - in other words, black guys don't like the cold.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You wanna trade a 23 year old all star, all defense first team, championship point guard for a 37 year old with so many miles on his legs that he might be lucky to have a year left? Wow dude.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I do not like this trade.  There are no player left on Boston long term that attracts other players. 

Boston, as a cold city, does not draw NBA players. 

This team needs a draw for other players. 

Well, as it stands now, the only players signed beyond 2012 are Pierce, Rondo and Bradley. Pierce will be old and Bradley may not pan out, so that doesn't exactly make for an attractive situation.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I feel like the team giving up the younger player in the deal (Rondo) Should not also have to give up a first rounder to make the deal work.

If anything we should be getting a 1st rounder in return. That part of the deal just doesn't make sense to me.

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Is Nash really the best we could do by trading our best asset? I know we get Gortat also, but I am not blown away by him. If we are trading Rondo, I really think we need to find a way to get CP3.

I think people are underestimating Gortat.  He's the real deal - he's a legit center who could help anchor the defense for the better part of the next decade.  Plenty of size, long arms, seems to have some strength, too.  Good defense, great rebounder, seems to have decent touch, and he's on a very friendly contract.  Three more years at about $7M per - less than Perk's going to earn.  Not making much more next year than JO.  

The 14 games he started last season, he averaged about 14 and 11.  

Excellent rebounder.  He grabbed the same % of defensive rebounds last year as KG (25.1%).  That DRP% compares favorably to a lot of the other big men with high raw rebounding numbers; it's not quite as good as Dwight Howard, but a fair amount better than Okafor, Dalembert, and Tyson Chandler (three players whose raw rebounding numbers were higher).  It's higher than Zach Randolph's, Blake Griffin'sm and miles ahead of David Lee and Pau Gasol.  I can't find many guys at all that grab a higher percentage of available rebounds than Gortat.

He's a very good defensive player.  

He also just turned 27.  

Steve Nash is a helluva player, too, could well make us a better team next season on his own.  But, this trade would be mostly about shoring up the center spot for the foreseeable future.  

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure I'd do the trade.  Rondo's a dominant player at times, a guy who can single-handedly just take over games.  I'm not sure that you trade that away; he's a jump shot and a little bit more consistency away from being one of the league's true greats. 

Gortat and KG would be a helluva pairing, though, and Nash still has a few years left. 

Wonder, though, the Nash/Ray pairing would be a little...  suspect defensively.  Since Nash would be bringing the shooting, would you then THINK about trying to get Iggy for Ray Allen?  Would Rondo/Iggy/Pierce/KG/Gortat be a better mix?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:10:20 AM by the_Bird »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Look, PLEASE no more wounded , old , hurt player for the starting five. No more bargain basement has been TROY Murphys.

Does LBJ or WADE , or ROSE or MELLO look old and crippled to any of you?  

What are you going to counter them with ...????????????

The EAST has really stocked up on AAA players.

IF you WANT to compete , fight FIRE with FIRE..... thats what he did when he brought in the the big three.

Their time has come and gone.

Ming , NASH, and the rest are on the way out .....

I want the CELTICS to WIN , not just be in the game. Losing SUCKS .
 These teams have made major moves , we are going have to as well..
The HEAT ARE GOING to get BETTER

THE KNICKS are goin gto get BETTER

The BULL are all ready GREAT

Its going to take men like D12 and CP3 to hold the line.

I know Danny can see this if stupid me can.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:17:51 AM by SHAQATTACK »