Author Topic: Win it all next year and put ourselves in full rebuild mode: Trade with Phoenix  (Read 8691 times)

Offline rasta1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Ok so here's my idea..unlikely to be done but it helps us so much

Phoenix Trades: Gortat, Steve Nash, 2nd round pick
Boston Trades: Rajon Rondo, BBD S&T, 1st Round pick [LAC]

Now a third team needs to come in to make salaries work

We sign Grant Hill and Prince to a 1 year deal
but our lineup would look like
Nash/Ray/Pierce/KG/Gortat
Off the bench: JO, Grant Hill, Jeff Green, Prince, West [1 year deal], kristic [1 year deal]

We get a legitimate big starting, have grant hill providing defense and support off the bench scoring. Nash can shoot the ball, giving us another offensive threat

Nash, Ray, KG, JO all come off the books after the season. leaving us free to sign i think 2-3 max contracts depending on the CBA

open for Chris Paul and Dwight Howard signing

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is one of the few (along with the CP3 ideas) trades that I think make sense for Rondo.

Gortat was an absolute beast once he was put in the starting lineup in Phoenix, and Nash really gives this team a different look. 

Yes, they give up the PG defense, but the offense should go to another level, and Gortat is a very good defender as well. 

I wouldn't count on the Howard/Paul signings in the 2012, but honestly, I think I might prefer rebuilding around Pierce and Gortat with a few extra million in cap space than around Rondo and Pierce. 

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think Boston is a player in free agency after this trade. Just not enough talent left on the roster to entice any of the top FAs to sign here. You'll be reduced to overpaying someone to come here after missing out on all the top names.

If you make this trade, you go all in and offer a multi-year MLE contract to the best available talent + you re-sign Jeff Green to a multi-year deal. Build the best possible team you can build for next season and deal with rebuilding further down the line.

It is a very interesting idea. Nash and Gortat. Always been a big fan of Gortat.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Boston is a player in free agency after this trade. Just not enough talent left on the roster to entice any of the top FAs to sign here.

Very true.  But I would argue that they are not a big player even if they don't make the trade.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I do not like this trade.  There are no player left on Boston long term that attracts other players. 

Boston, as a cold city, does not draw NBA players. 

This team needs a draw for other players. 

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think Boston is a player in free agency after this trade. Just not enough talent left on the roster to entice any of the top FAs to sign here.

Very true.  But I would argue that they are not a big player even if they don't make the trade.
I disagree, I think the combination of burgeoning young star in Rajon Rondo + an aging Pierce + a front office plus a coaching staff who have recently led their team to a Championship is a very enticing package.

The Celtics recent success + the confidence players will have in a management / ownership that have built a title winning side is not a factor that should be dismissed.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I disagree, I think the combination of burgeoning young star in Rajon Rondo + an aging Pierce + a front office plus a coaching staff who have recently led their team to a Championship is a very enticing package.

I think so to.  Especially if they have a plan in place to add more talent after (and share it with a potential star target)

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Not a fan of a team that is mostly in the mid 30's and is the definition of over the hill.

I don't get all the hate on Rondo, even if the hate recognizes that he is one of the best PG's. I don't want to make the mistake that the Mavericks did when they traded Kidd and then watched him develop into a star and then spend many years trying to get him back.

I think the Celtics have to take a look at who might be on the market or on the trade market. Grizzles will have a hard time signing Marc Gasol since they resigned Randolph and might put Rudy Gay and/or OJ Mayo on the trade block to make room for him. Also Omri Casspi isn't that happy with the Kings and can be a solid bench guy for us. Plenty of options to improve our center issue, athletic PF/C issue, rebounding issue and just overall bench issue without even looking towards Rondo. Him, Green and Bradley could be the key going forward.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Not a fan of a team that is mostly in the mid 30's and is the definition of over the hill.

I don't get all the hate on Rondo, even if the hate recognizes that he is one of the best PG's. I don't want to make the mistake that the Mavericks did when they traded Kidd and then watched him develop into a star and then spend many years trying to get him back.

I think the Celtics have to take a look at who might be on the market or on the trade market. Grizzles will have a hard time signing Marc Gasol since they resigned Randolph and might put Rudy Gay and/or OJ Mayo on the trade block to make room for him. Also Omri Casspi isn't that happy with the Kings and can be a solid bench guy for us. Plenty of options to improve our center issue, athletic PF/C issue, rebounding issue and just overall bench issue without even looking towards Rondo. Him, Green and Bradley could be the key going forward.

They didn't trade Kidd for the best PG in the NBA at the time.  He was traded for Finley and Cassell. 

Dallas did strike back getting Steve Nash from the Suns for a draft pick. 

NJ traded a all star pg (Marbury who is not as good as Rondo) for the best PG in the league (Kidd)  They went from lotto to final's appearances. 

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
So you want this team to get older?

• Jaylen Brown

They didn't trade Kidd for the best PG in the NBA at the time.  He was traded for Finley and Cassell. 

NJ traded a all star pg (Marbury who is not as good as Rondo) for the best PG in the league (Kidd)  They went from lotto to final's appearances. 

No they didn't trade for an the best in the league but is it a guarantee that CP3 signs an extension with us? Otherwise we rented him for a year and then lose him, then our PG is? Bradley? West? Unnamed drafted rookie who sucks?

Rondo isn't an offensive juggernaut because he doesn't have to be honestly, but CP3 does. Rondo has many offensive players around him, HOFers, so he lays off. CP3 has David West, Ariza and Okafor. CP3 is a great PG but I think Rondo is just fine.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No they didn't trade for an the best in the league but is it a guarantee that CP3 signs an extension with us? Otherwise we rented him for a year and then lose him, then our PG is? Bradley? West? Unnamed drafted rookie who sucks?

Rondo isn't an offensive juggernaut because he doesn't have to be honestly, but CP3 does. Rondo has many offensive players around him, HOFers, so he lays off. CP3 has David West, Ariza and Okafor. CP3 is a great PG but I think Rondo is just fine.

(not to get off topic, but most are saying trade along with a contract extension)

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I'd hate to give up Rondo's best years for such a short window, but Nash & Gortat is very enticing.  They were quite a devastating combo during their short time together in Phoenix. 

Nash/Ray/Pierce/KG/Gortat is certainly as offensively dominant a starting 5 as I've ever contemplated.  A combined TS% of nearly 60%.

If we could retain West and Green, convince JO not to retire and sign a tough defensive player for the MLE (Kenyon Martin would be my ideal)...  Also hope for some development from Bradley and a contributing role player from this years pick...

Yeah, I'd do it.  Nash/Allen is a terrible defensive backcourt but KG & Gortat would afford a lot of protection.  Theoretically, West & Bradley could provide defensive support.  Yeah, that's a championship caliber team.

Would Phoenix do it?  They already have Aaron Brooks so Rondo might not be so appealing to them.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

• Jaylen Brown

(not to get off topic, but most are saying trade along with a contract extension)

Oh well then I don't think he'd come here cause after the Big 3 leave the C's could be in rebuilding mode and I wouldn't see him dealing with that when he already is. Not sure he'll draw Dwight here cause I think Dwight is set on going to LAL. I mean I guess having Chris Paul could draw some names in to come to Boston but that isn't quite working for New Orleans.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The thing is the Celtics either have to go all in next year or blow it up.  Only making minor moves is going to lead to the same result i.e. a second round playoff exit (it might be possible to make the ECF, but this team is not getting by an improved Heat or an improved Bulls team next year).

Sure it would be a one year experiment, but that is what this is anyway. 

Go all in or blow it up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip