Author Topic: Lebron Calls Reporters Question Retarded  (Read 22406 times)

Re: Lebron Calls Reporters Question Retarded
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »

Offline Raising 18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 26
seriously.. this woman should not be allowed in a NBA press conference.. i really wish somebody could get a link of the question she asked spolestra... it was INCREDIBLY BAD.. the WORST phrased question i have ever heard asked in one of these press conferences
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:29:27 PM by Raising 18 »

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
The initial question was pertinent, Wade didn't want to answer it. The follow up was where my beef was, it was a poorly framed question, and if LeBron would've said "That's stupid." after she was done, I would've agreed with him.

This nails it on the head.

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Reminds me of how some people tried to say that Katie Couric was trying to bait Sarah Palin into giving stupid answers...D Laid and his side kick are the ones who came off looking like a jack(donkey)...the reporter did her job....nobody else in that room had the guts to ask D Laid about that "play"...she did...kudos to her.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:39:58 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

(I thought the plays on Pierce and Allen were way dirtier than the one on Rondo though IMO)

Really? Are you talking about the play when PP got tossed or another one? I'd say dragging someone down backwards when you outweigh them by 50+ pounds is dirtier than lowering your shoulder into a pick.

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:20 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
Sports reporters and reporters that cover politics are two completely different animals.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Sports reporters and reporters that cover politics are two completely different animals.

Really? Because when I say one thing reminds me of something else, I'm actually saying they are the "same animal". ::)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:03:28 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
it was a "retarded" question, what is the problem?

no it wasn't, that's the problem

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:22 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
how Wade answers the question is irrelevant to whether or not the question was legitimate. the fact that the reporter tripped during the follow up is also irrelevant.

I never said asking about the play was not legit. I've actually gone out of my way to say the question was legit.

I'm telling you, I didn't do it justice. I think you nailed it in that asking questions about his play (I thought the plays on Pierce and Allen were way dirtier than the one on Rondo though IMO) wasn't wrong, and I've said that.

The fact that the reporter 'tripped up' was the gist of my complaint. Searching for a soundbite by putting words sexy (in a journalistic sense) words into athletes' mouths for a better quote.

It seemed like no one else was going to ask him about the play, so I'm glad she did.

I'm pretty sure she was one of the first 2 or 3 questions asked. I could be wrong, I was trying to do multiple things when this was happening.

as for the soundbite criticism, I really don't know what is wrong with a reporter asking a question that could result in a soundbite....especially on a huge play in the game.

Well, I guess we are of two different minds here. It is a personal pet peeve of mine when a reporter asks a long question that contains the answer in it, to give the athlete the answer they hope they'll say. That could be just me but it seems lazy.

the central question was: how do you respond to criticism that the play was dirty? I see absolutely nothing wrong with that question. it doesn't seem in the least bit dumb. It in fact seems extremely pertinent.

The initial question was pertinent, Wade didn't want to answer it. The follow up was where my beef was, it was a poorly framed question, and if LeBron would've said "That's stupid." after she was done, I would've agreed with him.

I don't know, Indeed. It seems people are reconfiguring their arguments here. Originally the criticism was based on the reporter insinuating that Wade was a dirty player.

It turns out the question was simply asking for his response to the criticism that it was a dirty play and now the dumb part has become her follow up because she was searching for a soundbite.

but her follow up was actually a bail out for Wade because she was suggesting that the play wasn't dirty at all...just a product of the emotions and the situation...

honestly the only dumb part of the exchange was Wade's question of who exactly was levying the criticism...that's a pretty dumb response to a very straight forward question.

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
It was really awkward and unnecessary question.

I mean what does that reporter expect Wade to say.

"Yeah that play was dirty because I'm a dirty player."

/smh

Come on.

She could have asked "What happened on that play from your point of view?" Or something like that to see what was going on in his mind on that play.

To blatantly ask him if he is a dirty player based on that play is kind of moronic to say the least.

And that wasn't her only awkward question.

There was 15 min. monologue she performed prior trying to ask a question to Coach Spoelstra and that was even more awkward and unnecessary.

They should really check the credentials on these reporters.

Good lord!

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2011, 04:07:03 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Whether or not the question was one of integrity or not, it was asked in a non-offensive way. Reporters ask much worse questions all the time, and professional athletes are very used to it and know how to respond, (or how not to respond, so to speak).

The reply by LeBron was offensive, belittling, and stated in a very immature way, covering his mouth with his hand. The only reason he felt the need to reply the way he did, is because he thinks he's better than everyone else and above their criticism or scrutiny, and because he knew there was a modicum of truth to the question.

A very large number of people, especially Celtics fans, were already thinking the same thing, and would've asked the same question if they had the chance. That's why it was asked, because it was a valid point and a question that the reporters knew was on the minds of a large part of people watching. Isn't that what a good reporter's job is? To ask questions that many of the viewership is wanting answered?

I agree that she should and could have asked the question in a less abrasive way, but these guys get these kinds of questions asked them all the time, and the response was much more offensive and immature than the question was. LeBron was embarrassed by having his and his team's behinds kicked, and this was a very immature and classless way to express his frustration.

Needless to say the word "retarded" used in that context has all kinds of negative and offensive connotations attached to it regarding people who are mentally challenged, and should not be spoken or used in that manner by anyone. LeBron just showed more of his true colors to the rest of the world, and proved his immaturity to us once again.

I'm not a bit surprised, but I am a bit discouraged ... such terms should never be a part of professional sports or ever used as an insult, no matter what the provocation.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2011, 04:45:27 AM »

Offline KindBass

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
LeBron should be the last person calling anyone retarded.  Honestly, how much do you think he learned in high school?  He probably thinks George Washington is a Tyler Perry character.
"When I was a rookie, [Bird] and Kevin McHale were arguing.  So I asked Kevin McHale what they were arguing about.  And he says, 'we're just trying to figure out who you're going to guard.'  I said, 'what you mean?' and he said, 'oh, you're dead meat, rook.'" - Charles Barkley

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2011, 05:18:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

(I thought the plays on Pierce and Allen were way dirtier than the one on Rondo though IMO)

Really? Are you talking about the play when PP got tossed or another one? I'd say dragging someone down backwards when you outweigh them by 50+ pounds is dirtier than lowering your shoulder into a pick.

The play where wade dragged them both down at different times during the game

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2011, 05:26:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
winnsome, I've maintained the same point from the get go. Lebrons response was dumb, the lady's question, while a legitimate one to ask, was dumb because of the way she went about it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16