Author Topic: Lebron Calls Reporters Question Retarded  (Read 22404 times)

Re: Lebron Calls Reporters Question Retarded
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
to be fair...that reporter asked the worst questions of the night

the heat should have expected that question, that was a terrible response by Lebron, total lack of class imo

Agree ... completely classless, and a valid question.

LeBron's reaction was really, really stupid, but that question was just as dumb. It was one of those "I need to get my soundbite, so I'm going to phrase this in an overly complex but ultimately asinine fashion." kind of questions. The stupid kind. Heat shouldve expected it, but it was so dumb, almost as dumb as the lady reporter that asked Chris Bosh about the crick in his neck.

can explain this a little more from your standpoint. why shouldn't Wade have to address a dirty play that he committed?

No, they can ask the question, but did you actually hear the question, from where she started, to where she actually ended (and LeBron called her retarded)?

NBA.com doesn't have the whole thing, so it is just me paraphrasing, but it basically went like this:

Woman: What do you say to people out there who might call you a dirty player?
Wade: Who?
Woman: You know, people.
Wade: What people?
Woman: You know, would you say that it's all part of the playoffs, or would you say you just got caught up in the raw physicality of the game, and that was just the tone that everyone was playing with?
LeBron: She's retarded.

That is about as close as I can get while still keeping it above hyperbole.

But seriously, that question was just stupid.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

the heat should have expected that question, that was a terrible response by Lebron, total lack of class imo

LeBron's reaction was really, really stupid, but that question was just as dumb. It was one of those "I need to get my soundbite, so I'm going to phrase this in an overly complex but ultimately asinine fashion." kind of questions. The stupid kind. Heat shouldve expected it, but it was so dumb, almost as dumb as the lady reporter that asked Chris Bosh about the crick in his neck.

can explain this a little more from your standpoint. why shouldn't Wade have to address a dirty play that he committed?

No, they can ask the question, but did you actually hear the question, from where she started, to where she actually ended (and LeBron called her retarded)?

NBA.com doesn't have the whole thing, so it is just me paraphrasing, but it basically went like this:

Woman: You know, would you say that it's all part of the playoffs, or would you say you just got caught up in the raw physicality of the game, and that was just the tone that everyone was playing with?

See, what exactly is the problem with that line of questioning though? that she didn't fire back to him asking for a certain person with something like

"Billy in seat 34F, he thought it was dirty."

There is a perception by some, including national media memebers who were at least saying he went "too far" if not saying the D-word. that play was at least borderline dirty. her question is invalid because dwayne wants names of specific people who think that way of him and she couldn't give it on the spot?

mabey he should have just addressed it instead of going all defensive and asking "who?" like a child.

The only thing she did wrong was not say "Fine, lets go with Me. I think it was a dirty play. now answer my question please."

Of course the above is why i couldn't be a reporter, No athlete would talk to me.

What happened here is, as you said, she got caught up in playing the "game"

She asked a legit question, got checked by D-Wade's hollier than though attitude, realized she might be burning a bridge with him, and tried to back off in a poorly phrased way.

Doesn't make the question less valid or LBJ's response any less funny  :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

See, what exactly is the problem with that line of questioning though? that she didn't fire back to him asking for a certain person with something like

"Billy in seat 34F, he thought it was dirty."

There is a perception by some, including national media memebers who were at least saying he went "too far" if not saying the D-word. that play was at least borderline dirty. her question is invalid because dwayne wants names of specific people who think that way of him and she couldn't give it on the spot?

mabey he should have just addressed it instead of going all defensive and asking "who?" like a child.

The only thing she did wrong was not say "Fine, lets go with Me. I think it was a dirty play. now answer my question please."

Of course the above is why i couldn't be a reporter, No athlete would talk to me.

What happened here is, as you said, she got caught up in playing the "game"

She asked a legit question, got checked by D-Wade's hollier than though attitude, realized she might be burning a bridge with him, and tried to back off in a poorly phrased way.

Doesn't make the question less valid or LBJ's response any less funny  :)

I'm telling you, I didn't do it justice. I think you nailed it in that asking questions about his play (I thought the plays on Pierce and Allen were way dirtier than the one on Rondo though IMO) wasn't wrong, and I've said that.

But you could just see her thought process. "Well, Wade isn't gonna make this easy, so lets ask a really long question that only really requires a yes or no answer, than I can say 'Wade agreed that the foul was due to the sheer physicality and raw human emotion of the game played by modern day gladiators in the arena that is the TD Garden Parquet"

Okay see, there it is. I reverted to hyperbole. I just hate those 'putting words in their mouths' questions, especially when they start getting really long.

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
her question is invalid because dwayne wants names of specific people who think that way of him and she couldn't give it on the spot?

And I also think that Wade asking 'Who' was just as valid. I don't think it was as childish as you might say, because I think a lot of guys would answer in the same snarky aggressive manner as Wade did.

It was plainly clear Wade didn't want to answer the question, and found the premise stupid. He shouldn't have gotten in the pool if he didn't want to swim, but I wasn't bothered by the "Who" garbage.

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

it didn't go anything like that. She asked what he would say to people who called that play dirty?

go listen to it again.

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I listened to it live last night. you're incorrect.

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
it didn't go anything like that. She asked what he would say to people who called that play dirty?

go listen to it again.

Here's what I heard:

Reporter: Um, what do you have to say to the people who think your play was somewhat dirty or out of character?

Wade:  Who?

Reporter: In general.  The people who watched the game, the people who worked the game, just in general.  Was that just the level of ... (pause) ... competition and emotions...

Lebron:  That's retarded.

It's linked on the first page of this thread, anyway.  I don't see anything wrong with that question.  Wade easily could have said "I don't know who those people are, but I'd say the play wasn't dirty."

She gave him multiple outs, calling it "out of character", mentioning the level of competition and emotions, etc.  I didn't think it was unprofessional at all, other than that she kept stumbling over herself.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Case closed, dumb question. She had a right to ask it, and was plainly trying to cajole a response, but still, dumb question.

the level of *competition*...and *emo-tions*..

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Wade is a pompous jerk. LeBron and Bosh got a lot of flak for that "3 kings of Miami" parade...but Wade was a part of that too...striking poses and what not. I don't like him...where does he get that "Mr. Classy" tag from...I have no idea.

KG would have been ripped by the fans and media alike if he had pulled a Wade and/or LeBron.

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

go listen to it again.

Here's what I heard:

Reporter: Um, what do you have to say to the people who think your play was somewhat dirty or out of character?

Wade:  Who?

Reporter: In general.  The people who watched the game, the people who worked the game, just in general.  Was that just the level of ... (pause) ... competition and emotions...

Lebron:  That's retarded.

It's linked on the first page of this thread, anyway.  I don't see anything wrong with that question.  Wade easily could have said "I don't know who those people are, but I'd say the play wasn't dirty."

She gave him multiple outs, calling it "out of character", mentioning the level of competition and emotions, etc.  I didn't think it was unprofessional at all, other than that she kept stumbling over herself.

yeah, like i said earlier, i think she got cold feet in the middle, but at least she asked the question apparently everybody else was afraid to ask.

the play was clearly "dirty" IMO, but regardless it was a straight up legit question.

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:08 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Case closed, dumb question. She had a right to ask it, and was plainly trying to cajole a response, but still, dumb question.

you have yet to explain "why" the question is dumb. Why shouldn't Wade have to answer a question about a play that at the very least is borderline "dirty?"

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

you have yet to explain "why" the question is dumb. Why shouldn't Wade have to answer a question about a play that at the very least is borderline "dirty?"

I never said he should or shouldn't have to answer a question about whether it was or wasn't dirty. I said the lady, the way she phrased the question, was dumb. I also said LeBron's reaction was dumb. But the question was corny, and Wade had already made it clear he didn't want to answer it.

Lucky for her, he ended up giving her the soundbite she wanted: LINK

Personally I don't think Wade or any other player should 'have' to address anything. Garnett didn't 'have' to address the Villinuava thing, or the Channing Frye nut-tap.

I actually respect a good old fashioned tongue in cheek snarky but subtle response more than any contrived soundbite (like the answer Wade eventually gave).

Personally, I would've liked it better if he would've said, 'Guess I should've showered before the game' or something.

Its not like we don't know what he's doing, its not like he doesn't know we know what he's doing, so what's the point of the question? Are we going t get an honest answer?

You think he's really gonna say "Yeah, I was intentionally trying to initiate as much possible contact as I could with the Celtics starters tonight, even going as far as to drag them down to the ground with me if I could, because I want to establish an intimidating physical presence and let them know I won't back down"?

That's why the question was dumb..she wanted a soundbite, and in trying to get the answer she wanted, she came off as corny, forced, facile, and contrived.

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I never said he should or shouldn't have to answer a question about whether it was or wasn't dirty. I said the lady, the way she phrased the question, was dumb. I also said LeBron's reaction was dumb. But the question was corny, and Wade had already made it clear he didn't want to answer it.

Lucky for her, he ended up giving her the soundbite she wanted: LINK

Personally I don't think Wade or any other player should 'have' to address anything. Garnett didn't 'have' to address the Villinuava thing, or the Channing Frye nut-tap.

I actually respect a good old fashioned tongue in cheek snarky but subtle response more than any contrived soundbite (like the answer Wade eventually gave).

Personally, I would've liked it better if he would've said, 'Guess I should've showered before the game' or something.

Its not like we don't know what he's doing, its not like he doesn't know we know what he's doing, so what's the point of the question? Are we going t get an honest answer?

You think he's really gonna say "Yeah, I was intentionally trying to initiate as much possible contact as I could with the Celtics starters tonight, even going as far as to drag them down to the ground with me if I could, because I want to establish an intimidating physical presence and let them know I won't back down"?

That's why the question was dumb..she wanted a soundbite, and in trying to get the answer she wanted, she came off as corny, forced, facile, and contrived.

honestly, i have no idea what you're talking about. a reporter asked a player about a huge play in a highly contested game and series.

how Wade answers the question is irrelevant to whether or not the question was legitimate. the fact that the reporter tripped during the follow up is also irrelevant.

It seemed like no one else was going to ask him about the play, so I'm glad she did.

as for the soundbite criticism, I really don't know what is wrong with a reporter asking a question that could result in a soundbite....especially on a huge play in the game.

the central question was: how do you respond to criticism that the play was dirty? I see absolutely nothing wrong with that question. it doesn't seem in the least bit dumb. It in fact seems extremely pertinent.

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
how Wade answers the question is irrelevant to whether or not the question was legitimate. the fact that the reporter tripped during the follow up is also irrelevant.

I never said asking about the play was not legit. I've actually gone out of my way to say the question was legit.

I'm telling you, I didn't do it justice. I think you nailed it in that asking questions about his play (I thought the plays on Pierce and Allen were way dirtier than the one on Rondo though IMO) wasn't wrong, and I've said that.

The fact that the reporter 'tripped up' was the gist of my complaint. Searching for a soundbite by putting words sexy (in a journalistic sense) words into athletes' mouths for a better quote.

It seemed like no one else was going to ask him about the play, so I'm glad she did.

I'm pretty sure she was one of the first 2 or 3 questions asked. I could be wrong, I was trying to do multiple things when this was happening.

as for the soundbite criticism, I really don't know what is wrong with a reporter asking a question that could result in a soundbite....especially on a huge play in the game.

Well, I guess we are of two different minds here. It is a personal pet peeve of mine when a reporter asks a long question that contains the answer in it, to give the athlete the answer they hope they'll say. That could be just me but it seems lazy.

the central question was: how do you respond to criticism that the play was dirty? I see absolutely nothing wrong with that question. it doesn't seem in the least bit dumb. It in fact seems extremely pertinent.

The initial question was pertinent, Wade didn't want to answer it. The follow up was where my beef was, it was a poorly framed question, and if LeBron would've said "That's stupid." after she was done, I would've agreed with him.