Author Topic: Lebron Calls Reporters Question Retarded  (Read 22403 times)

Re: Lebron Calls Reporters Question Retarded
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I have literally no problem with that. He's still an arrogant prick, though.

This. I mean, he picked an awful way to try to support his teammate, and obviously he thinks this is eight grade study hall and if you cover your mouth it doesn't count, but the substance of what he did, deflecting a confrontational question from a teammate who clearly was ticked off and didn't want to answer  it was asked was alright with me.

I mean, the execution sucked but the thought was in the right place.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »

Offline JohnBagleyValueMeal

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 176
  • It's not hard to work hard.
It doesn't matter if it's a bad question or not. LeBron is an adult, not a baby, and he should take responsibility for the way he handles himself. We have 18 year olds at war, in prison, on juries, etc...LeBron should be able to not use slurs in a freaking press conference.

Sorry, but dude is making bajillions of dollars and wants to be a "global icon." It's 100% fair for people to call his behavior gross and immmature.
McHale's favorite ruse is putting paper in the mouths of sleeping teammates. "Try using one of these cocktail napkins," he said. "When just the edge sticks out of a guy's mouth, it looks like he's got fangs. The best part is when he wakes up."
-- Sports Illustrated, 12/19/1983

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
Her job is to get information from players, not try to stir up stuff just for a sound byte. This isn't Entertainment Weekly. Being confrontational with an athlete makes that reporter a terrible one.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
Her job is to get information from players, not try to stir up stuff just for a sound byte. This isn't Entertainment Weekly. Being confrontational with an athlete makes that reporter a terrible one.

So what? Doesn't mean LeBron can't be criticized for being immature and stupid.
McHale's favorite ruse is putting paper in the mouths of sleeping teammates. "Try using one of these cocktail napkins," he said. "When just the edge sticks out of a guy's mouth, it looks like he's got fangs. The best part is when he wakes up."

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
I was responding to the person who said she's there to get a sound byte. She shouldn't even be in the room if that's the case. Those are the kind of reporters that get zero respect from good reporters.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I didn't think the question was that bad.  I think some folks are being a little hard on the reporter.

At the same time, I can't come down too hard on Lebron, because I think the comment was meant for Wade and nobody else.  It was stupid and immature, and he should have known better, but I think people are allowed to use insensitive language with their friends.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
"That's crazy, because I had no idea what the word 'retarded' meant before I saw it on the Internet," James said after the Miami Heat's practice. "I never even mentioned that. That word never even came out of my mouth."
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
"That's crazy, because I had no idea what the word 'retarded' meant before I saw it on the Internet," James said after the Miami Heat's practice. "I never even mentioned that. That word never even came out of my mouth."

LOL

BTW, just to be clear - I'm not saying suspend the guy or even fine him. And I'm sure the guy didn't mean anything by it. I just think it's 100% legit for people to call anybody (not just sports stars) out when they do stuff like this. That's all.

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
These two clowns need to be in a Miami jail cell instead of the NBA.

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I told you he was special  ::)

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I told you he was special  ::)

Haha...maybe.

This was the original quote:

"That's crazy, because I had no idea what the word 'contraction' meant before I saw it on the Internet," James said after the Miami Heat's practice Monday. "I never even mentioned that. That word never even came out of my mouth. I was just saying how the league was back in the '80s and how it could be good again. I never said, 'Let's take some of the teams out.'"
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Maybe someone should post this to a liberal blog like Daily Kos and see if you can whip up some outrage.

+1  

The messiah has stuck his foot in his mouth way worst than this.  Hard to be outraged by that.  He's not earning his salary and endorsements because of his work as a brain surgeon.

I didn't have a problem with the question either.   We're subjected to such brilliance as Jamele Hill, steven i smith, Earvin Johnson, Skip Bayless, Scoop Jackson, Mark Jackson,  etc etc every day...Who bring nothing (with the exception of Earvin...Who brings pure narcissistic nonsense and nothing else) to the table.  That reporter's question doesn't register on the meter of stupidity that we're subjected to by the above.

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I hate Lebron, but I got to be honest and say I laughed pretty hard after hearing that. It was a terrible question.

How was it a terrible question? he's getting that rep around the league. If you want to say he plays "with a chip on his shoulder" or "close to the line" and not dirty, fine, that's a different discussion, but lets not pretend there isn't a perception that he does everything he can to make sure his opponents pay the price for guarding him physically every night.

and secondly, it wasn't a stupid question because she got exactly what she wanted. She phrased it in a very confrontational way, basically saying "people say your a dirty player, does that tick you off?" looking for a reaction and she got a great immature sound byte out of both of them that's being replayed countless times. That's her job.

It was a terrible question. Who's giving him that rep? What coaches have come out and said that? What players have said that? Are there instances one can point to?

I remember when Hinrich said it once a couple years ago. Anybody else?  And her job is to report - not generate controversy. It's a distinction but it separates the good ones from the bad ones.

Now - let's say there are clear instances of players calling Wade dirty. Then when Wade said, "Who said that?" in response to her original rambling question - she should've said "So-and-so said this, etc." Instead, she just said - "People in general" or something like that. That pretty much screams hack.

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I was responding to the person who said she's there to get a sound byte. She shouldn't even be in the room if that's the case. Those are the kind of reporters that get zero respect from good reporters.

In what universe? Those good reporters sound like they don't get payed/ understand todays news cycle.

Maybe this was true at some point, i wish it were true now.

But a sports reporters job today is to get interesting material and drive readership. period, end of story. That means sound bytes and discussion material.

You think ESPN gives a [dang] if there reporters are this kind of high brow journalist you want them to be? of course not. they want a sound byte they can play, hype and repeat endless times that people want to see and discuss.

You think the globe or herald cares if an article from one of it's reporters is completely noninflammatory and written in a sterile way if it gets zero page views? of course not, they want an entertaining article for there readers. They will take that one every time over som reporter who asked a bland question and got a bland response.

Reporters aren't clark kent. They aren't held to some code that says you can't ask a tough question. There job is to get interesting information that will drive reader/viewership. obviously this has.

Therefore she did her job.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »

Offline Raising 18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 26
ok im going to try to clarify my comments a bit about the reporter.. the question could have been asked "do you care if you are getting a reputation of being a dirty player?" but instead she asks a question in the most roundabout way.. she is supposed to be a professional and between the way she asks this question to wade and her prior question to spolestra, she in no way should be covering an NBA playoff game

oh and Lebron is an idiot.. honestly i just think he is a very unintelligent person