Author Topic: Randolph not impressed with Perkins  (Read 16441 times)

Re: Randolph not impressed with Perkins
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Perk can't defend Randolph, but Randolph can't defend (hopefully I'm wrong) any of the Laker bigs. If he could, the Grizzlies would be the favorites to get out of the west.

I think the length of gasol or bynum would be a big problem for Randolph...I think he can be defended better by the lakers than any other team and he really would have trouble defending gasol.
Pau Gasol and Zach Randolph cannot defend one another. Randolph can't defend Pau's length in the post and Pau struggles with Randolph's relentless physicality. 

I remember Randolph hitting Gasol up for two 40+ point performances in the same season a few years ago. They've had quite a few good battles in the past.

Andrew Bynum doesn't have enough quickness anymore (post knee injuries) to defend Z-Bo out on the floor. Similar issues as Perkins has with Randolph.

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
He's like an in his prime Shaq, only without the out-of-this-world athleticism, but with shooting skills.

That's like comparing a healthy Brandon Roy to Jordan. Wow.

I dislike both of them, so there could be a link between the two ballhoggers. Roy is more like Co-b.

I misread your post and thought you were comparing Randolph to Shaq. For Gasol, I'd go with comparing post knee injury Roy to MJ. FYI, I dislike them both as well.

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Perk should never have been put on Z-Bo in the first place. He simply doesn't have the quickness or agility to cover an offensive threat like Z-Bo.

Randolph's jump shooting, pick and roll/pop game, ability to put the ball on the floor and drive + Randolph's superior quickness/agility make Perk an ineffective defensive matchup.

Leave Perk on Marc Gasol. A player who he can actually defend.

Yet he guarded D Howard? Howard is much more the athlete then Z Bo. I never saw Perk guarding him... It was always Ibaka. Zbo is being overrated for his perimeter skills here. He is beast in the paint, but Perk can defend him. I saw Sheed play very well against Randolph last year when we played them. Perk can hold his own.

Dwight Howard is NOT an offensive threat.  All you have to do to guard D12 is force him away from the basket and limit his offensive boards. He has NO moves.  This is the same reason shaq can guard him 1 or 1. That doesnt mean Shaq is a good defender...just that d12 is severely lacking any skill on offense.  And even last years Sheed looked more agile than the current Perkins.

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 11:30:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Perk should never have been put on Z-Bo in the first place. He simply doesn't have the quickness or agility to cover an offensive threat like Z-Bo.

Randolph's jump shooting, pick and roll/pop game, ability to put the ball on the floor and drive + Randolph's superior quickness/agility make Perk an ineffective defensive matchup.

Yet he guarded D Howard? Howard is much more the athlete then Z Bo. I never saw Perk guarding him... It was always Ibaka. Zbo is being overrated for his perimeter skills here. He is beast in the paint, but Perk can defend him. I saw Sheed play very well against Randolph last year when we played them. Perk can hold his own.

Dwight Howard is NOT an offensive threat.  All you have to do to guard D12 is force him away from the basket and limit his offensive boards. He has NO moves.  This is the same reason shaq can guard him 1 or 1. That doesnt mean Shaq is a good defender...just that d12 is severely lacking any skill on offense.  And even last years Sheed looked more agile than the current Perkins.

It's hard to argue that a guy who averaged 22 ppg on 60% shooting isn't an offensive threat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Dwight Howard has the athleticism but not the skill-level / skill-set.

Howard doesn't have the ability to face up from 15-20 feet and be a triple threat. Not like Z.Randolph.

And in years past, Howard lacked the footwork on his post ups to take full advantage of his quickness closer to the basket. He relied on a power game. Although he has improved in this regard this season.

And like Perk could defend Dwight's power game ... Perk can equally well defend Zach Randolph's power game in the post. However, Perk cannot defend Randolph once he steps away from the rim and puts him in pick and rolls/pops + face up opportunities.

--------------------------------------------

Athleticism without the skill-set = no advantage

Athleticism + skill-set = advantage
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:48:03 PM by Who »

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

It's hard to argue that a guy who averaged 22 ppg on 60% shooting isn't an offensive threat.

60% because almost every attempted shot is near the rim
And 22 ppg because he's the star player who gets most of the shots

He doesn't have any real post moves. He has gotten better, but his points do not change the complexion of the game. The Hawks were smart and took advantage of that. They knew guarding him one on one wasn't gonna beat them

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He doesn't have any real post moves. He has gotten better, but his points do not change the complexion of the game. The Hawks were smart and took advantage of that. They knew guarding him one on one wasn't gonna beat them

Maybe people can argue that he's not offensively versatile, but of course he's a threat.  He averaged 27 points on 63% shooting against Atlanta.  I wish we had a guy who sucked on offense that much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown

Maybe people can argue that he's not offensively versatile, but of course he's a threat.  He averaged 27 points on 63% shooting against Atlanta.  I wish we had a guy who sucked on offense that much.

I guess it depends on what you consider a "threat".  I consider a player to be an "offensive threat", when they have multiple ways of scoring against you, and more often than not cannot easily be slowed down by 1 defender due to their versatility and repertoire of moves. I also have a mental connection between "offensive threat" and "scorer".  Dwight is starting to score a lot of points, but I doubt many people instantly think "scorer" when they hear his name.

The whole point though is that it doesnt take a good defender to guard D12....Just a big body that's willing to take some abuse.  A player needs to be a much more skilled defender, to guard zbo, horford, pau, boozer, kaman, duncan, cousins, or any other big with offensive "skills".

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2011, 12:52:32 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Forget about matchups.

It seems that Perk is always "not suited" to his opponent when he plays poorly on this board.

OKC's defense was worse than poor that game. Memphis had WIDE open looks the entire night. The fact that Perk is so darn slow made the situation worse. 114 points in a playoff game is pretty ridiculous.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2011, 07:45:24 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
He's like an in his prime Shaq, only without the out-of-this-world athleticism, but with shooting skills.

I dislike both of them, so there could be a link between the two ballhoggers. Roy is more like Co-b.

I misread your post and thought you were comparing Randolph to Shaq. For Gasol, I'd go with comparing post knee injury Roy to MJ. FYI, I dislike them both as well.

Ouch... I'll stop comparing players right now  ::)

Still, I'd rather have Marc Gasol than Zach on my team, any day of the week. So, we can agree to disagree, but then, talking about the post knee injury Roy... he was getting a lot of praise around here after his hero 4th quarter on the Mavs.

I like the fact you dislike both ballhoggers. TP.

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2011, 08:24:10 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Dwight Howard is NOT an offensive threat.  All you have to do to guard D12 is force him away from the basket and limit his offensive boards. He has NO moves.  This is the same reason shaq can guard him 1 or 1. That doesnt mean Shaq is a good defender...just that d12 is severely lacking any skill on offense.

10 years ago you could have pretty much switched Shaq for Howard in that paragraph. That's somewhat like saying that all you have to do to guard Wade is stay close enough to him to challenge his shot and make sure he doesn't drive past you. Everyone and his brother *knows* how to guard Dwight, very few are able to do it well.

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Ouch... I'll stop comparing players right now  ::)

Still, I'd rather have Marc Gasol than Zach on my team, any day of the week. So, we can agree to disagree, but then, talking about the post knee injury Roy... he was getting a lot of praise around here after his hero 4th quarter on the Mavs.

I like the fact you dislike both ballhoggers. TP.

Normally I'd agree with you on Gasol over Randolph, but there's  just no way right now. He's pitching a perfect game on offense, clutch as all could be, hitting every variation of shot known to man, and consistently making the right passes and finding his cutters while averaging 2 offensive rebounds per game.

If Randolph wasn't on this team they wouldn't have taken a game against the Spurs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:35:03 AM by StartOrien »

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »

Offline manbehindtheman

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11

Dwight Howard has the athleticism but not the skill-level / skill-set.

Howard doesn't have the ability to face up from 15-20 feet and be a triple threat. Not like Z.Randolph.

And in years past, Howard lacked the footwork on his post ups to take full advantage of his quickness closer to the basket. He relied on a power game. Although he has improved in this regard this season.

And like Perk could defend Dwight's power game ... Perk can equally well defend Zach Randolph's power game in the post. However, Perk cannot defend Randolph once he steps away from the rim and puts him in pick and rolls/pops + face up opportunities.

--------------------------------------------

Athleticism without the skill-set = no advantage

Athleticism + skill-set = advantage
nobody could defend those shots that zach r. has been making lately.

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
  10 years ago you could have pretty much switched Shaq for Howard in that paragraph. That's somewhat like saying that all you have to do to guard Wade is stay close enough to him to challenge his shot and make sure he doesn't drive past you. Everyone and his brother *knows* how to guard Dwight, very few are able to do it well.

Agree about knowing how to defend versus being able (willing) to do so.

However I don't think Shaq was defendable in 1999-2001 era. Maybe its just because there were no centers to do so, but he had all the athleticsm of his youth and most of the craftiness of his old years.

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown

Agree about knowing how to defend versus being able (willing) to do so.

However I don't think Shaq was defendable in 1999-2001 era. Maybe its just because there were no centers to do so, but he had all the athleticsm of his youth and most of the craftiness of his old years.

Shaq wasn't just indefensible 10 years ago because of his size/athleticism, it's also because he DOES have moves.  His spin move in particular is well beyond that of just about any current center.  Plus he still has a good 4-5 foot hook/bank shot from either side. Howard doesnt have ANY consistent move to go to besides the dunk.