Author Topic: Randolph not impressed with Perkins  (Read 16445 times)

Re: Randolph not impressed with Perkins
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I've been trying to convince CB Drafters for the last year that Randolph is a savant.  Now, maybe they'll believe me.

I'd say a "Dwight Howard Type" could slow him down.

I'm not even advocating here:  I doubt Howard could do much to stop him right now.  During an average stretch, sure, but not when Randolph is on fire like this.

Antonio McDyess was basically inside Randolph's jersey, clutching him and doing everything short of putting him in a choke hold.  Randolph dominated him.  Randolph dominated Perk and Ibaka in Game 1, and he would have dominated Howard in Game 1.

Ha, no I mostly agree with you, was just seeing if I could get a rise. I'd say I've seen about 90% of the Grizzlies playoff run, and you're right he's been nothing short of incredible. I don't know how you stop a guy whose capable of hitting an 18 foot jumper off a rainbow that's going just as high.

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Perk should never have been put on Z-Bo in the first place. He simply doesn't have the quickness or agility to cover an offensive threat like Z-Bo.

Randolph's jump shooting, pick and roll/pop game, ability to put the ball on the floor and drive + Randolph's superior quickness/agility make Perk an ineffective defensive matchup.

Leave Perk on Marc Gasol. A player who he can actually defend.

Yet he guarded D Howard? Howard is much more the athlete then Z Bo. I never saw Perk guarding him... It was always Ibaka. Zbo is being overrated for his perimeter skills here. He is beast in the paint, but Perk can defend him. I saw Sheed play very well against Randolph last year when we played them. Perk can hold his own.

Howard plays much closer to the rim than Randolph does.  Perk is at his best guarding the rim.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
say what you will about Perk, but when he was with us we were winners and a tough team...take him away and we play like a bunch of patsies.  

Perks first three to four years with us were awful. We were patsies then with him, and Perk played terrible. Then when Ray and KG came to town, suddenly things changed.

Coincidence? Or did Perk just need more time to develop his defensive (his offensive game hasn't changed much throughout, he's always been atrocious) game?

he fit in well here with the players we had...we won one championship with him at center and were very close to another...he is 25 years old...his first few years he was developing just like bynum did for the lakers....
perkins is no bynum but with this squad he was a VERY valuable that simply won't be replaced by what we have currently.

Perkins is 26, not 25, and he will be 27 at the start of next season in Nov. He is the oldest 27 year old in the league imo. Next year will be his 9th season in the NBA, having been in the league since he was 18 and suffered severe knee and shoulder injuries that required surgery. I loved having him on the celtics, he played with heart and toughness, but let's be honest, he was no Bill Russell, no Dwight Howard, No Mutombo, no Rodman even. He has his weaknesses on defense as we are seeing now in OKC, and that's not even getting into his lack of offense. He is slow, unathletic, and has zero offensive skills. To pay a player like that the money OKC gave him is not a smart decision, and I'm glad we didn't do it.
my mistake he is 26 and not 25...
we didn't have to pay him the money that OKC is paying him in order to win THIS championship...after the season was over if he walks he walks, we got very little in return for him through the trade anyway.  
We need him NOW, even if he is not Mutombo, he was ours and he was the best most reliable center we were going to have for THIS year.  
You can continue to deride his skills, but we are likely going down in this round of the playoffs and it is certainly in part because of our poor interior defense/toughness, he brought the swagger that nobody else has supplied.

Most people agree that Perk would not have made a difference in our loss last night, and he didn't help the thunder at all either. Our perimeter defense and fast break defense killed us, not the interior defense.

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
say what you will about Perk, but when he was with us we were winners and a tough team...take him away and we play like a bunch of patsies. 

Perks first three to four years with us were awful. We were patsies then with him, and Perk played terrible. Then when Ray and KG came to town, suddenly things changed.

Coincidence? Or did Perk just need more time to develop his defensive (his offensive game hasn't changed much throughout, he's always been atrocious) game?

he fit in well here with the players we had...we won one championship with him at center and were very close to another...he is 25 years old...his first few years he was developing just like bynum did for the lakers....
perkins is no bynum but with this squad he was a VERY valuable that simply won't be replaced by what we have currently.

You do realize that he only average about 13 min a game in the 2008 finals. And played little to no minutes in Games 4 and 6, which were the most critical of the series for the Celtics

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I would disagree with this. Perk showed clear signs of being a good defender before KG and Ray did, just like Rondo (and TA) did. His play improved (unsurprising, considering his age) but things didn't suddenly change in 07-08.

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I loved having him on the celtics, he played with heart and toughness, but let's be honest, he was no Bill Russell, no Dwight Howard, No Mutombo, no Rodman even.

What? He's not one of the top 5-6 defensive bigs ever? Shocking...

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I am not knocking perk in any way at all, love his work ethic and seems to be a good guy in all ways.  However reading how many people knock jeff green I can't help but think that Perk hasn't shown much for okc yet either.  Maybe he adds toughness? I don't know but he plays like an artis gilmore without the hookshot, slow and plodding.  He can't defend either memphis big, Gasol is one of the few guys I've seen in the current nba that can have shaq lean on him and he's strong enough to hold him.  He is very different than his brother.

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Perkins is a big body down low, but his defensive prowess has always been overrated on this board.  He has only had one season with a defensive rating below 100, KG's first year here.  KG is the reason Perk's defense looked so good. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I am not knocking perk in any way at all, love his work ethic and seems to be a good guy in all ways.  However reading how many people knock jeff green I can't help but think that Perk hasn't shown much for okc yet either.  Maybe he adds toughness? I don't know but he plays like an artis gilmore without the hookshot, slow and plodding.  He can't defend either memphis big, Gasol is one of the few guys I've seen in the current nba that can have shaq lean on him and he's strong enough to hold him.  He is very different than his brother.

He adds toughness and compliments Ibaka very well. I'd imagine there's some frustrations with him, as we all had with Perk in his tenure here, but they're much more pleased with him than our fan base is w/ Green.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline manbehindtheman

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11

You do realize that he only average about 13 min a game in the 2008 finals. And played little to no minutes in Games 4 and 6, which were the most critical of the series for the Celtics
no i forgot about those stats...he didn't play hardly at all in games 4 an 6?  i need to see some evidence on that one!

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

no i forgot about those stats...he didn't play hardly at all in games 4 an 6?  i need to see some evidence on that one!

Ok

Game 4
Perkins played 13 minutes in Game 4. Didn't play the entire 2nd half because he injured his shoulder fouling Odom

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200806120LAL.html

Game 6
Perkins played 13 minutes in Game 6. Had his shoulder wrapped form the injury but still played

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200806170BOS.html

Perkins wasn't that much of a factor in the 2008 Finals. All the love he's getting is from the emotional aspect of his play. Wasn't the deciding factor, the Big 4 was

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 06:43:47 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He at least delivers harder fouls than Mr. Krstic. :D

If anybody delivers a hard foul on the messiah's team you saw the result in the last regular season game we played them and yesterday.  IMHO, Perk would/would have been marginalized in this series.  We're getting called for flagrant fouls for simply holding our ground instead of flopping. 

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

If anybody delivers a hard foul on the messiah's team you saw the result in the last regular season game we played them and yesterday.  IMHO, Perk would/would have been marginalized in this series.  We're getting called for flagrant fouls for simply holding our ground instead of flopping. 

agreed, this series is about skill and intelligence vs speed and athleticism, none of which Perk is known for

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

agreed, this series is about skill and intelligence vs speed and athleticism, none of which Perk is known for

Where we will miss Perk is in the semis and the finals.  He'd be a non-factor in the Miami series.  The way things are being called in the Miami series, Perk would be good for two fouls  per game and he'd be ejected.  Based on the standard of the last regular season game and game 1, any contact by Perk would be a flagrant foul.

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Where we will miss Perk is in the semis and the finals.  He'd be a non-factor in the Miami series.  The way things are being called in the Miami series, Perk would be good for two fouls  per game and he'd be ejected.  Based on the standard of the last regular season game and game 1, any contact by Perk would be a flagrant foul.

which also means that even if Shaq is healthy, he isn't going to help much either in this series