Author Topic: Randolph not impressed with Perkins  (Read 16490 times)

Re: Randolph not impressed with Perkins
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Obviously this is just the wrong matchup for Perk... like everyone else said he needs to be on Marc Gasol.

By the way I can't wait to hear the follow-up post when Perkins absolutely shuts down Bynum in the next round. Then we'll see who's valuable or not.

I don't think anyones bashing Perkins defense here. Just pointing out what Randolph said, and highlighting that the Grizzlies front court is a tough match up for him. If the Thunder are lucky enough to advance I do think he'll have success against Bynum. But I've got the Grizzlies advancing. 

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »

Offline manbehindtheman

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
say what you will about Perk, but when he was with us we were winners and a tough team...take him away and we play like a bunch of patsies. 

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I think he can be a little bit overrated at points, but I thought Sebastian Pruiti had a fantastic post displaying Perk's struggles against Memphis pick and rolls.

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/05/02/oklahoma-citys-poor-pick-and-roll-defense/

EDIT: For clarification, I do really enjoy his site - I just think that some people  herald him as a blogging messiah, whereas I think he's just pretty good.

Good find.

lol...a 'blogging messiah'? You had this hyperbole hanging around your head and you never once gave me the crown? Wow Otart, I don't even know you anymore.

If I had a better handle on religion I'm sure I'd have an incredible retort here.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I love Perk, but I have to admit, even though he has never been fast, he looks a step or two slower than usual so far in the playoffs.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
I'm starting to lean to Grizz in this series due to the mismatch in the post. Perk is best served guarding Gasol but he's really too slow even for him.

Thunder just aren't the same defensive team they were last year even with Perk.

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
say what you will about Perk, but when he was with us we were winners and a tough team...take him away and we play like a bunch of patsies. 

Perks first three to four years with us were awful. We were patsies then with him, and Perk played terrible. Then when Ray and KG came to town, suddenly things changed.

Coincidence? Or did Perk just need more time to develop his defensive (his offensive game hasn't changed much throughout, he's always been atrocious) game?

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I'm starting to lean to Grizz in this series due to the mismatch in the post. Perk is best served guarding Gasol but he's really too slow even for him.

Thunder just aren't the same defensive team they were last year even with Perk.

I have concerns about Durant and Westrbook's mental toughness, whereas the Grizzlies have a team full of guys who don't seem to be bothered by much.

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Why is this a surprise?

I don't understand why so many treat Perk like he was a god around here. He is a very good post defender, one of the best in the game, his communication on defense is excellent, but he's slow in pick and roll defense. This is a weakness that was masked for a long time by KG.

Perk cannot guard guys who have mid range games and a variety of post moves. Anyone remember how badly Bogut has torched Perkins over the years?

Perk is great at preventing guys from getting inside position, he's a tough, hard nosed guy that wont relent easy position. This works wonders against the Howards, and Shaqs of the world. But any post player who can work from outside 10 ft? He can't keep up.

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've been trying to convince CB Drafters for the last year that Randolph is a savant.  Now, maybe they'll believe me. ;)

Seriously, though, the way the guy is playing right now, there isn't a player in the league who could stop him.  He'd be getting points on a Rodman / Dikembe duo right now.  He's hitting runners, fadeaways, threes, rainbows, and just about any other shot he takes.  It's amazing.

I think he took the shot at Perk just to trash talk a bit.  I don't think "you can't guard me, nobody can guard me" is the most objective of observations, but it's probably true at this point.

Lastly, it's important to remember that Perk is a center, rather than a power forward.  If anybody should be talking trash, it's Gasol; Randolph should be Ibaka's responsibility.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »

Offline manbehindtheman

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser

Perks first three to four years with us were awful. We were patsies then with him, and Perk played terrible. Then when Ray and KG came to town, suddenly things changed.

Coincidence? Or did Perk just need more time to develop his defensive (his offensive game hasn't changed much throughout, he's always been atrocious) game?

he fit in well here with the players we had...we won one championship with him at center and were very close to another...he is 25 years old...his first few years he was developing just like bynum did for the lakers....
perkins is no bynum but with this squad he was a VERY valuable that simply won't be replaced by what we have currently.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I've been trying to convince CB Drafters for the last year that Randolph is a savant.  Now, maybe they'll believe me.

I'd say a "Dwight Howard Type" could slow him down...

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've been trying to convince CB Drafters for the last year that Randolph is a savant.  Now, maybe they'll believe me.

I'd say a "Dwight Howard Type" could slow him down.

I'm not even advocating here:  I doubt Howard could do much to stop him right now.  During an average stretch, sure, but not when Randolph is on fire like this.

Antonio McDyess was basically inside Randolph's jersey, clutching him and doing everything short of putting him in a choke hold.  Randolph dominated him.  Randolph dominated Perk and Ibaka in Game 1, and he would have dominated Howard in Game 1.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

he fit in well here with the players we had...we won one championship with him at center and were very close to another...he is 25 years old...his first few years he was developing just like bynum did for the lakers....
perkins is no bynum but with this squad he was a VERY valuable that simply won't be replaced by what we have currently.

Perkins is 26, not 25, and he will be 27 at the start of next season in Nov. He is the oldest 27 year old in the league imo. Next year will be his 9th season in the NBA, having been in the league since he was 18 and suffered severe knee and shoulder injuries that required surgery. I loved having him on the celtics, he played with heart and toughness, but let's be honest, he was no Bill Russell, no Dwight Howard, No Mutombo, no Rodman even. He has his weaknesses on defense as we are seeing now in OKC, and that's not even getting into his lack of offense. He is slow, unathletic, and has zero offensive skills. To pay a player like that the money OKC gave him is not a smart decision, and I'm glad we didn't do it.

Making Zach Randolph sound like Hakeem the Dream reincanated isn't going to change the fact that Perk has his issues defending some guys, like Bogut, Lopez, etc. and he's also lost a step. Will he get that step back? I hope so, but who knows. I'm glad for Perk that he got paid and he doesn't have to worry about that, and I'm glad we didn't ruin our team's future by being the ones to pay him. All out win-win situation imo.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:55:45 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »

Offline manbehindtheman

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser

Perkins is 26, not 25, and he will be 27 at the start of next season in Nov. He is the oldest 27 year old in the league imo. Next year will be his 9th season in the NBA, having been in the league since he was 18 and suffered severe knee and shoulder injuries that required surgery. I loved having him on the celtics, he played with heart and toughness, but let's be honest, he was no Bill Russell, no Dwight Howard, No Mutombo, no Rodman even. He has his weaknesses on defense as we are seeing now in OKC, and that's not even getting into his lack of offense. He is slow, unathletic, and has zero offensive skills. To pay a player like that the money OKC gave him is not a smart decision, and I'm glad we didn't do it.
my mistake he is 26 and not 25...
we didn't have to pay him the money that OKC is paying him in order to win THIS championship...after the season was over if he walks he walks, we got very little in return for him through the trade anyway.   
We need him NOW, even if he is not Mutombo, he was ours and he was the best most reliable center we were going to have for THIS year. 
You can continue to deride his skills, but we are likely going down in this round of the playoffs and it is certainly in part because of our poor interior defense/toughness, he brought the swagger that nobody else has supplied.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Perk should never have been put on Z-Bo in the first place. He simply doesn't have the quickness or agility to cover an offensive threat like Z-Bo.

Randolph's jump shooting, pick and roll/pop game, ability to put the ball on the floor and drive + Randolph's superior quickness/agility make Perk an ineffective defensive matchup.

Leave Perk on Marc Gasol. A player who he can actually defend.

Yet he guarded D Howard? Howard is much more the athlete then Z Bo. I never saw Perk guarding him... It was always Ibaka. Zbo is being overrated for his perimeter skills here. He is beast in the paint, but Perk can defend him. I saw Sheed play very well against Randolph last year when we played them. Perk can hold his own.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14